• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Batfink

Jap Engines

Batfink

My brother has Sandy's old 309 Rallycross shell and we are debating what engine to fit.

We have decided against the cossie engine - its too heavy

The duratec engine has been removed from the shortlist as jap engines are more capable

So we are left with two!

The honda s2000 engine - 240bhp n/a - can be supercharged at later date

or Mazda RX7 engine - 250 out the box - easily tunable to 300bhp

Each seems to have pro's and con's but we don't know what the real deal is when tuning these two engines!

Has anyone had experiences of either cars and their capability, reliability, cost of tuning etc?

Basically the car has to be rwd, lightweight and powerful ;)

BMW M3 running gear light?

Edited by Batfink

DrSeuss

I swear an rx7 engine bay has more feet of boost piping then a human has intestines. What about an rb26det.....

Batfink

is that a skyline engine???

Ryan

Skyline engine is a 6-cyl with an iron block and weights a ton - far more that the cossie engine.

Good look finding one at a reasonable price too.

M3Evo

That'd be sweet! Inline6 engines rule!

Think the skyline's had an iron block though so ain't gonna be light! <EDIT, beat me to it! :)>

E30M3s had ali lower arms (front) which are nice and light, but bloody expensive.

Edited by M3Evo

DrSeuss

sr20det again iron block though.

a subaru impreza engine would be a good bet, the engine could be dropped down to lower the c of g.

the original t16 lump was also iron block. But if your going for super lightweight this makes little difference.

M3Evo

How about a volvo 5pot they're ali :)

Or one of the ali blocked BMW inline6 engines.

Or mabey even wait intill the magnesium blocked ones come out (if they haven't already)

EDIT> Ooh, 3.0 litre, 258bhp, 232lb ft of torque and yet it weighs only 355 lb with alu/mag block and mag head, plus valvetronic thingumies! No throttle bodies? No throttle at all! :wub:

Edited by M3Evo

Ryan
sr20det again iron block though.

a subaru impreza engine would be a good bet, the engine could be dropped down to lower the c of g.

the original t16 lump was also iron block. But if your going for super lightweight this makes little difference.

Pretty sure the SR20 is alloy-block? It's a bit of a mess phyically though - e.g you have to remove the cams to take the headbolts out, and setting the cam timing is a pain as the oil pump covers up the marks on the lower part of the timing chain. :)

Inpreza engine would be nice though. All the weight is low down, and there are tons of parts available - not cheap though...

Mandic

What about CA18dDET? it's alu...or VG30DETT form 300ZX, but it's a bit heavy :)

Cheers

Ziga

GLPoomobile

A 13B will be nice and revvy, and I believe they are fairly light (certainly compact anyway), and good power is only a big turbo away. They do lack the torque of piston engine and finding a good engine builder will be a bit of a mare. A 20B would be even better but good luck finding one, and they are obviously a bit heavier having the extra rotor.

dee205

Nissan 200sx 1.8 turbo. My mate's brother has one that puts out around 300bhp afaik.

You can pick up a whole car one ebay for cheap.

It was a real circle maker!

Damien

Mattsav

For a start the duratec is a jap engine (Mazda) and can make 240bhp fairly cheaply.

Vauxhall 2.0XE. Parts are cheap a chips these days and 220/240 bhp easily attainable.

The honda S2000 engine can make very good power with a cam change.

TB's on a std engine only make a couple of BHP at the top end but do give a nice torque increase.

How about a BMW M3 straight 6? Or even better the M5 V8. It can make 600bhp with just cams and management!! and the sound is superb.

Ford/Jag 4.0 Supercharged V8. You can pick up low milage engine for £3k + Vat. Just uner 400bhp as std. Needs a bellhousing adaptor to fit a gear box though.

Cossie engines are heavy but can be tuned relativley.

VW 1.8T 270bhp if you get a S3 engine and remap it. Gearbox choice limited to van gearboxes though.

All depends on budget and if you want turbo or N/A.

Personally I love the sound of the BMW V8 :)

Mandic

What about H23 turbo or maybe B18C turbo?

Edited by Mandic

veloce200

ok for noise Alfa V6 24v with a Supercharger, always thought the V sounded better than the straight 6... personal taste I guess.

B1ack_Mi16

So, what's wrong with the Mi16 then? :)

Hilgie
VW 1.8T 270bhp if you get a S3 engine and remap it. Gearbox choice limited to van gearboxes though.

I've been thinking about this. What do you reckon needs to be done?

I was thinking of a Golf TDi 6spd gearbox mated to a Audi TT or S3 engine and drop it in the 205.

eddie_1.9
Nissan 200sx 1.8 turbo. My mate's brother has one that puts out around 300bhp afaik.

You can pick up a whole car one ebay for cheap.

This one looks prime for picking for the engine!

M3Evo
How about a BMW M3 straight 6?

It took 4 of us to not lift one of those! They're SO heavy!

pug309twin40s

ford 2.9 v6 24v cosworth engine?? 200bhp and 200+lbft as standard.

reliable and strong.

CaM

toyota 1UZ-FE.

dunno bout over your parts but we get them cheap as chips over here, engine, ecu, box and loom for around $1000NZD (500ish quid your money)

lots of 1000bhp ones kikcing around over here in various vehicles

jont

3SGTE? (ie MR2 turbo and Celica GT4 engine) - early ones are ~220bhp, later 240 bhp out the box.

bobs205

4.0 rover v8 with 250bhp and with the torque to match and you can get them cheaper than most of the engine's that have been mentioned and tune them up for cheaper as well.

CaM

meh, the toyota article is closer to 300 stock I'm fairly sure

3sgte's are fairly fragile.

4g63b-t mitsi galant vr4 rs engine with evo turbo converted to RWD with a starion box?

pugrallye

I say vag 1.8T engine, very tunable 270+bhp, alloy, and quite torquey, can mate to a range of boxes in the whole range to give varied ratios, would steer clear of six speeders though, as thats poodling gear, lol

Sign in to follow this