• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Batfink

Jap Engines

Mandic

Well I agree about 3SGTE, some throw out 2JZ out of Surpa and put 3SGTE in, as it's lighter and very tunable as well.

Cheers

Ziga

CaM

that;s a stupid thing to do :S

Mandic

I know it's stupid, I wouldn't do that for sure, but some do...so it shouldn't be that bad, at least from engine power/weight ratio, but still You can't beat the sound of I6 with I4...never

Cheers

Ziga

CaM

not to mention the j series is a far superior engine. so much more potential etc/ the small difference in weight would make bugger all difference in a supra anywho, they're no leightweight anyway

Edited by CaM

kyepan

Nissan pulsar GTI-R sr20det has a larger turbo (t28)and also has quad throttle bodies, its good for 300bhp if you crank up the boost to around 1bar. Properly fuelled and cooled +water injection, you can see a safe 1.4 bar and 330 bhp all day long. Requires decent clutch and good condition box.

Not sure how heavy this engine is though but its transverse like the pug, insead of longditudional like the 200sx. ;)

JB

Guest Adj205

Stick with the rotary idea! It's true that they need a certain degree more TLC than a 'conventional' engine...but i don't think it's possible to find a more suited powerplant. It's tiny physically, and very lightweight. The size of the engine has obvious advantages in terms of placement, with the RX-7 having a genuine front-mid engine layout for years and years. I'd probably go with a non-RENESIS motor, from an FD3S as opposed to the newer SE3P, as ideally you'd need it to be turbocharged...firstly to provide otherwise-absent torque, and also to enable more tuning options. Of course, you could go for a 20B (from an old Cosmo probably), these can return over 300bhp in non-turbo form with some work...but finding and tuning one would be very difficult i would have thought.

Furthermore, powerful FDs sound amazing, are thrilling to drive because of their intrinsic hunger for revs. The proverbial 'rat's nest' of cables is a common problem, the majority of which is used for the operation of the sequential twin turbos (another big technological achievement!)...the normal solution being to ditch the twins and introduce a single turbo unit.

Er slightly off topic but I don't know why Mazda haven't produced an Exige or even Radical competitor. Their chassis are always held in the finest regard (MX-5, RX-7, RX-8) and the rotary engine, by its nature, belongs in a small and light car. Can you imagine...a c750kg exige-styled racer with a slightly fettled 260bhp RENESIS engine that retains the balance and fluidity of Mazda's trademard chassis??

Batfink

we had a change of heart with the RX7 engine. Initially we were going to go with one running carbs. Found an engine builder who would build a brand new one running 200bhp (just add turbos later)

But due to them being rather impossible to silence n/a

we have bought all the honda s2000 parts we need for a rather good price!

GLPoomobile
Well I agree about 3SGTE, some throw out 2JZ out of Surpa and put 3SGTE in, as it's lighter and very tunable as well.

Cheers

Ziga

I think that's purely for racing regulation reasons (i.e. GT300 series) where power is limited to 300bhp. Since power is limited it makes sense to chuck in a smaller, lighter engine that can still provide the required power.

A18_RYU

so your going for the honda engine? is that the same as the one in the Civic Type R the K20A...? if so, if you havent got one, i can give u the number of my mate's from B-factory.com who can get pretty much anything you want to do with hondas...

GLPoomobile
so your going for the honda engine? is that the same as the one in the Civic Type R the K20A...? if so, if you havent got one, i can give u the number of my mate's from B-factory.com who can get pretty much anything you want to do with hondas...

If it's an S2000 engine it'll be an F20.

A18_RYU

ah right....they are also mounted longways arent they? (dont know what the proper term for it is :S)

going RWD aswell on the 309??

C_W

I think the S2000 engine is quite heavy for what it is isn't it?

The 3.0/3.2/3.3 M3 engines are very heavy. The more recent 3.0 BMW engine is much lighter if you were going for BMW engine.

Batfink
ah right....they are also mounted longways arent they? (dont know what the proper term for it is :S)

going RWD aswell on the 309??

the shell was converted already for 4wd 205 t-16 running gear so transmission tunnel is already there :(

I think the S2000 engine is quite heavy for what it is isn't it?

The 3.0/3.2/3.3 M3 engines are very heavy. The more recent 3.0 BMW engine is much lighter if you were going for BMW engine.

Well my brother has found a rolled s2000 rather cheap - we have everything bar the front suspension so its going to be a simple (ish) job :D

Sandy

S2000 engine is 150kg fully built up, so not massively heavy, about the same as an XE. Show me another NA 2 litre with 237bhp, 9000rpm limit, 30mpg and 12,000 mile service intervals! never mind the excellent standard 6-speed close ratio gearbox and LSD.

petert

This JAP engine is a legend. Easy to fit too.

jaredboy
(Mandic @ Feb 15 2006, 09:46 AM) *

Cheers

Ziga

I think that's purely for racing regulation reasons (i.e. GT300 series) where power is limited to 300bhp. Since power is limited it makes sense to chuck in a smaller, lighter engine that can still provide the required power.

Some norwigean bloke bought this!

Top Secret Supra

It is given the 3S-GTE engine transplant, so it can be mounted futher back.

Making it a MR.

Sign in to follow this