• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
driversdomainuk

Mi16 Conversion

driversdomainuk

Hi

Just got a quote for fitting an MI16 engine from DES developments, I think its a bit steep, but what do you all think?:

Description Amount

Supply rebuilt Mi16 1.9 engine £1,550.00

Installation into 205 £450.00

Supply distributor adaptor £154.00

Fit carbs from 8V £250.00

Mi16 DCOE inlet manifold £190.00

Rolling road setup £130.00

Baffled Sump £85.00

Sub Total £2,809.00

VAT £491.58

Total £3,300.58

M@tt

i think he's taking the piss at that price to be fair!!

£1550+vat for an mi16 :) you could get a whole dam car for less than that

have a look at this post there are several other people on here that would be able to do it for you for half that price

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=51877&hl=

petert

It depends what £1550 includes. If that includes a piston/liner kit, reground crank, bearings etc. and a fully reco'd head, then it's a fair price. I wouldn't sell such an engine for less than AUS$4500 exchange and probably $6000 outright. Unfortunately most people have an unrealistic view of the time to rebuild an engine properly. For example, it costs AUS$500 (gasket kit, bearings and head bolts) to just open and close a 16V, before adding any labour or machining costs.

RobMGti

I agree with peter my first thought when looking at it is that the engne is going to be a complete rebuild not just what is commonly thought of as a rebuild. Drivers Domain you need to find out exactly what you are getting for the money.

Carbs, manifold and sump you could also easily do yourself.

Rob

Ahl

I agree with peter regarding the rebuild costs.

Plus its silly to come on here and compare professional company prices to some (unprofessional ;)) forum member that might do it for less.

boombang

I agree its not cheap but remember you often get what you pay for.

AFAIK they only use genuine Peugeot parts, offer a comprehensive warranty, and all installations are clean and tidy.

To get an idea of rebuild costs go to Peugeot and get a price for all the bits - you will be shocked. Add on the labour time and machining costs involved in the rebuild and it starts to add up - beaing in mind the whole engine and components are tollerance checked.

KRISKARRERA

I know DES are well regarded and they like the 405 so I'm not gonna be nasty but that price just takes the piss. There's people on this forum that will do it for you for few hundred quid.

RobMGti
I know DES are well regarded and they like the 405 so I'm not gonna be nasty but that price just takes the piss. There's people on this forum that will do it for you for few hundred quid.

A FULL rebuild for a few hundred quid?!? Point me in the direction.....

KRISKARRERA

Sorry I'm tired here, my son is ill and he been keeping me awake all night.

Anthony

Try phoning round a few other companies that offer 205 Mi16 conversions and see how they compare for prices and what you get for your money - 205Parts (Kibworth nr. Leicester) and Xsport (Southampton) have both been used by members of this forum with success ;)

You need to get more details on what you're getting for your money with that DES quote to know whether it's good value or not.

RobMGti
Sorry I'm tired here, my son is ill and he been keeping me awake all night.

Sorry Kris mate that reply came out far more bitchy than i realised. Totally off topic but hope he gets better

driversdomainuk

ummm, still thinking f*** the conversion, spend around £250-£400 for a bottom end rebuild on my 8V and make do with that - I mean it will still be a "genuine" 205GTI...

I mean, it is only making 120bhp but racing at Loton is goes like well and can keep up with a 210bhp SAAB Aero on a 1/4 mile sprint.

which brings me onto another question.......a guy I spoke to who is a rally driver thinks there is a case for keeping an 8V on a hillclimbs - they can be quicker as the power delivery is so much lower down as opposed to the revvy 16V where you often have to access higher rpms (ideal through loggerheads, and out of Hall corner!)

True or not..???

Edited by driversdomainuk

Batfink

the 8v and mi16 have just about the same torque until the mi16 comes on cam and shows a clean pair of heels

RobMGti

There must of been a million threads on this before. The old 8v v's 16v approach. I think most people will agree on here that the Mi16 represents a more cost effective method of getting more bhp out of your 205.

Just to be abit different i went the tuned 8v route and really enjoyed the experience. It cost more than an mi16 conversion but i like the originality factor.

In the end its all down to personal preference

maxi

Throw the carbs in the bin, waste of time.

You will get an almost gauranteed 175BHP from an mi on std injection with a pair of catcams (or even just an inlet cam) and shortened inlet manifold.

You could do that for about half that price inc the conversion.

Maxi

Robsbc
Throw the carbs in the bin, waste of time.

Don't think it is Maxi...Depends what you want with carbs you will gain torque in the mid range...If I recall your old car with cams was peaky...

DrSeuss

That price quoted is fair. The only issues i'd have would be with the transfer of carbs to the new engine. Its not 5hrs of work.

The dizzy converter isn't cheap either. But you get what you pay for really.

Mi16's whoop 8v's they are just better.

TEKNOPUG
Hi

Just got a quote for fitting an MI16 engine from DES developments, I think its a bit steep, but what do you all think?:

Description Amount

Supply rebuilt Mi16 1.9 engine £1,550.00

Installation into 205 £450.00

Supply distributor adaptor £154.00

Fit carbs from 8V £250.00

Mi16 DCOE inlet manifold £190.00

Rolling road setup £130.00

Baffled Sump £85.00

Sub Total £2,809.00

VAT £491.58

Total £3,300.58

You could turbocharge you 8v for about half that and whoop an Mi ;)

maxi
Don't think it is Maxi...Depends what you want with carbs you will gain torque in the mid range...If I recall your old car with cams was peaky...

If you want driveability torque is the one. If you want to go fast then BHP is what you need. 205's dont need a lot of torque as they are light, just BHP to be fast. Thats why the mis work so well with them in std form.

Maxi

Edited by maxi

driversdomainuk

Turbocharge an 8V - and it would whip an Mi..????

I thought a turbo conversion would take the 8V up to around 170 bhp - so it would be quite similar to one...

Is a Turbo conversion worth it - may be half the price, but getting the bottom end rebuild would need to be an absolute must, (along with forged pistons ???)

Cheers

Edited by driversdomainuk

TEKNOPUG
Turbocharge an 8V - and it would whip an Mi..????

I thought a turbo conversion would take the 8V up to around 170 bhp - so it would be quite similar to one...

Is a Turbo conversion worth it - may be half the price, but getting the bottom end rebuild would need to be an absolute must, (along with forged pistons ???)

Cheers

Not at all. The TT's run 170bhp-ish with just dished pistons and an old T25 turbo, running 10psi. That's still on clockwork Jetronic ignition. Forged pistons, rebuilt bottom-end isn't needed unless you want to run lot's of boost. A GT25/28 turbo and some proper engine management should easliy see 200bhp without running silly boost. You could get a brand new GT28, manifold and engine management for about £1200. You could certainly have a pucker complete engine for less than £2k.

£3.5k for only 170-180bhp seems a lot of cash to spend, even if a lot of it is labour charges.

See if you can bag a passenger ride in one before you make your mind up.

Edited by TEKNOPUG

taylorspug

Surely doing hillclimbs means driveability is one of your major stipulations Drivers Domain? Could mean one less down and therefore upshift in certain corners, which obviously saves time.

As Sam has mentions the only thing that sticks out is the cost to change the carbs.

Get the carbs put on the MI and gain the low to mid range grunt, dont think you will regret it. Im getting the arse with the lack of low range grunt on my standard MI already.

Big D

If you do decide to go turbo mate I could supply you with a full kit

tt 1.9 low comp bottom end

tt exhaust manifold

recently rebuilt t25 turbo

tt 5th injuector throttle body

tt itercooler

boost pipes

tt boost retard unit

No 5th injector controller

Or do what I do and loose the low comp bottom end and run a standard comp bottom end. Read sig for full details but I can get away with runnig 14 psi with mine!!!!!!Faster than any of my mi16 with carbs cams etc.

Yes it will blast an mi easy as its just got bags and bags or torque and no lag. Torque is what you want on the road and track dead dead useable

let me know if your interested or anybody else on here

Dave

driversdomainuk

Hi Dave,

So what sort of figure would you be looking to quote, inc a rebuild bottom end - are you a business..?

I am leaking oil bottom end and the engine is breathing quite alot when driven hard - which indicates the bottom end is about to pass on!

Cheers

TEKNOPUG

I'd imagine that he's just got a load of spare parts. If you're concerned about your bottom end, just pick up a low mileage XU9 as a base.

Sign in to follow this