• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
JamieTonks

What Can You Do To The 1.6 8v Engine

JamieTonks

Hi.. what can i do to the engine. I mean in terms of more bhp. I know they realy aint that great tuning wise. But i think they would make a good base for a track engine as they love to rev.

I have been thinging something simple just like bolt-ons

throttle boddies and a aftermarket exhaust system. But what can i do to the internals?

Or am i best to just leave it be but concentrate on help the oil circulate a bit more

dee205

The thing is.. for the money you would spend on fitting tb's and managment. Roughly £1500+ you could buy and fit an Mi engine and have 160 bhp or there abouts.

A good 1.6 even if it's putting out the book 115bhp, with tb's and even cam would be lucky to put out 160.

Anyone's opinion differ?

If you want to stick with the 8v then the xu10 head (someone correct me if I have the wrong head) gives better flow and stick a set of carbs on it should see decent gains.

Exhausts don't really give you much in thr way of extra horses as most of the guys here will agree with.

Internal wise, how bout some balancing of the bottom end with new bearing etc to ensure the engine doesn't give up the ghost being reved like mad.

Damien

RobMGti

Do a search Jamie its been covered loads of times before (recently as well) should find everything you need. Most of the mods talked about for upping the power of a 1.9 Xu are applicable to upgrading the 1.6 :)

Rob

jonD6B

Definetly do a search you'll find loads of info. on this topic.

My opinion would be to go for an MI engine. For the money you can't beat it.

Edited by jonD6B

hodgy

if jamie is like me he is thinking bout doing this to his 1.6 to be a lil different,no dissrespect to you MI boys but an MI 205 is starting to be as common as a red top nova.

best thing ive found for the 1.6 is getting a close ratio box slapped on it!makes a huge difference no top end but gets to 100mph in no time and after 70mph the street race is either won or lost.

Dom9

What close ratio gearbox?

hodgy

mines got a custom box on it. i can set off in 3rd lol!

115mph is 6800 rpm jus a needle width off the limiter(limiter has been moved to 7000rpm)

DaveW

mi16*yawn*

i think carbs or tb's would work well on it, i love the 1.6 engine soo rev happy much better than the 1.9 imo.

pug309twin40s

big vavle cyl head with bit of port and polish works very well on a 1.6 engine. just revs and revs so easy.

veloce200

Agreed the 1.6 is a cracker as the std head is "bigvalve" compared to most other 8v 1.6 engine out there.

Much easier to get a higher specific output from too. That said if class regs aren't a problem though 1.9 generally makes for the quicker car.

jonD6B

It's all a case of budget. Going down the 8V route is a good way but costs alot more than an engine transplant. Read both the 205 8V and MI16 chapters of the 'Puma Racing' website for a more informed decision. There are obviously over looked factors which may need to be considered also such as driving style, economy, top end speed and drivebility etc. It would be a shame to spend alot of money on an engine that doesn't meet all the criteria.

JamieTonks

bearing in mind i have a 205 t16 for going stupid fast.

i think this is a bit different and would make a hoot for every day and the odd track day i dont wanna use the turbo

DrSeuss

twin 40's or mappable injection and the lairiest cam you can lay your hands on.

Anthony
i think this is a bit different and would make a hoot for every day and the odd track day i dont wanna use the turbo

By "everyday" do you mean something that's got to be friendly enough to manage the commuter run in snarled up traffic and racking up miles on the motorway, as that means a very different kettle of fish to something that's going to spend it's life being thrashed around track and down a local B-road...

JamieTonks

do you think. I wanna drive like a rally driver all the time

Kamel6k

I have the same question...

Sould i put 1.9 crank and rods+ecu, injectores and maf.

Or stick with the 1.6 and paly with some headwork and a reprofiled cam to 275º?

les3002

what about a 1.6 mi16, that would be a revvy beast.

mbayley77

That was going to be my next project to look into doing a 1.6 MI16.

Think it has been done before. Needs all the re profiling of the oil ways etc does it not on the block?

Shevy

Twin carbs with mapped ignition

Some decent headwork with a raise in Compression ratio and a 285 cam or something similar.

Should see you around 150 BHP and a nice revvy engine and still driveable on the road.

Just make sure the rest of the engine is in good condition

Dom9
That was going to be my next project to look into doing a 1.6 MI16.

Think it has been done before. Needs all the re profiling of the oil ways etc does it not on the block?

Blocks for the 1.9 8v, 1.6v and Mi16 should have all the same oilways... And the Xu10's for that matter... Shouldn't require any work to mate the head to the block other than the tensioner, maybe... Then it's a case of sorting out the pistons and the correct cam profile... It seems to be quite a simple job, but apparently it isn't... I would like to try it at some point!

It has been discussed before if you do a search!

pug_ham

A 1.6 Mi 16 has been seen on this forum, crf450 bought a full car a few years ago that had one fitted (but never ran afaik) & taffycrooks knows of one running in a rally class in Wales that kicks ass but I don't think anyone on here has managed to build one yet.

Would be ace though. :wacko:

Anything you can do to a 1.9 can be done to a 1.6 but overall expense is the deciding factor.

Graham.

TB_205GTI

XU10 head

Piper "272 degree" cam

K&N

This gave me 125Bhp and 148Nm on my old GTI. Do a seach I have described it several times now.

mbayley77

Ok then i am willing to give it a go :lol:

Anyone got a bottom end they dont want any more from a 1.6?

I have a couple on mi heads and bits so no problem there.

Sign in to follow this