• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jonarob

Dipstick Being Pushed Out And Leaking Oil

jonarob

Hiya folks. I'm going to look at a 1.6 tomorrow and there's an oil leaking problem with it.

I've spoke to the guy on the phone and he says it's coming from the dipstick which is being pushed out and spewing the stuff everywhere. He says this is due to a washer or some small part that has snapped on the dipstick, and he's ordered a new one which will prevent this from happening in future.

HOWEVER, my dad was talking to my nextdoor neighbour today who has a 1.9, and is having similar problems. My dad's pretty good with cars and after having a look at it he thinks it's because of the piston rings going, therefore pressurising the oil and pushing it out of the dipstick which is the only way out.

After telling him about the 1.6 i'm going to look at by coincidence he reckons it could be the same problem.

So, basically - is this dipstick washer malarky a known problem or is it more likely to be what my dad says? or something different altogether?

Thanks a lot.

Rippthrough

Could be piston rings, but I imagine a blocked breather system would cause the same problems. Check all the breather pipes.

jonD6B
Could be piston rings, but I imagine a blocked breather system would cause the same problems. Check all the breather pipes.

If it was the piston rings would there be any tell tale signs like smoke out the back or low compression?

Rippthrough
If it was the piston rings would there be any tell tale signs like smoke out the back or low compression?

Low compression, possibly blue smoke from the exhaust, could be difficult to start from cold.

jonarob

Thanks guys - anybody know anything about the dipstick washer/seal thing, then? or is it likely to be rubbish?

Edited by jonarob

Rippthrough
Thanks guys - anybody know anything about the dipstick washer/seal thing, then? or is it likely to be rubbish?

I don't think there's anything on the dipstick itself? Not sure though.

excess pressure should go out of the breather system first though, unless it's block or the blow-by is really bad.

hengti

the dipstick seal is just an extension of the rubber moulding that forms the dipstick handle and pushes about an inch into the dipstick tube - I've believe that they often tear away from the handle and can cause idle problems due to a disruption in the oil breathing circuit

Mine ran without a seal for years - but didn't blow any oil out - guess that's due to one of the problems suggested above

Edited by hengti

888rmb

I had this problem on my 1.6 GTI. The dipstick knob has a seal on it that looks like a load of plastic fins. I got another good one from a scrappy and it stopped leaking. Judging by the number of Peugeots I had to go through in the scrapyard till I found a good dipstick it seems to be a common problem.

My dad also had the same issue on his 1900 405. Oil everywhere, new dipstick, end of problem.

I don't think just because there is oil is being pushed out of a knackered dipstick then the rings are knackered. The engine must pressurise the oil somewhat otherwise the dipstick would have not been designed with a seal on it in the first place. Just get a new dipstick, should be fine again in my experience.

jonarob

Good news at last!

The guy has ordered a seal off ebay apparently, so I'll take a look tomorrow perhaps put a deposit down and come back for another drive when he's got the seal on it.

Henry Yorke

Dipsticks are only a couple of quid from dealers IIRC!! They come in nice clean plastic bags too!

jonarob

Well I went to see it today and it's a minter. Low mileage (60k), and generally good nick all round.

The oil still pissed everywhere, though. The guy said he was going to replace the dipstick seal this week and I said I'd come back for another test drive when he'd done it.

If the seal prevents oil from spurting out when I give it a good drive, is it safe to assume that everything's hunky dory?

Guest CB-Dave

why not just take a compression tester and test it when you're there rather than running on assumption?

assumption is - afterall, the mother of all fcukups...

jonarob

Where would I go about accquiring one of these jobbies, then?

Also - my nextdoor neighbour, by sheer coincidence had the same problem on his 1.9 and fixed it today with a new dipstick seal...

Guest CB-Dave

halfords - 15 or 20 quid, and that's it...

gunsons make them. don't rely on it for accuracy, if it's in the green zone you should be ok - they're more for checking consistency. Make sure all the cylinders are roughly even on compression and test it with the fuel pump fuse out, ignition coil disconnected and throttle wide open.

danGTI

I had similar problems with my old 205, though never had oil come out at any point. It used to pop the top of the dipstick up slightly which was cured with buying a new one, never had any more problems with it for the 2 subesquent years I owned it. Personally i'd buy it if the dipstick sorts the problem, as long as the problem at the moment isn't extreme. If it's absolutely pissing it out then there may be trouble ahead.

205mattgti

i had the same problem on my 1.9 205gti, had a huge oil leak and the dipstick kept poping up, so i bought a new dipstick and the problem was solved, no more oil leaks.

Henry Yorke

Has anyone got the part number for the dipstick? Struggling to see it on the parts cd for some reason :rolleyes: I don't want to spend hours standing at the counter at the dealers whilst they ask for a chassis number etc!

d-9

haha at our dealer i just say "a dipstick for a 205 gti" and they say "1.9 or 1.6?"

Ive had this problem on a couple of my cars and always thought that while a dipstick with a seal on my stop the oil pissing out, it doesnt cure the underlying problem of whats causing it to piss out.

Henry Yorke

Cheers Dom. I will let you know how i get on with my numpty dealer. They have said "What's a CTI" before so I am worried!!

Is there a difference between a 1.6 and a 1.9 then? Mine now has an ally MI sump and a spacer on the XU9J1/AZ engine (originally a 1.6 style sump). I guess the depth would still be the same.

The only reason I want one is that i am getting a little bit of mayo on the dipstick in this weather as the bung is missing on the top so it doesn't seal well. The oil is fine (as I have dropped it once, panicking about possible HG failure). Mayo is on the shaft, not the tip (oo-er!) so think it is a breather issue. Sounds like a common problem at this time of year as the filler cap has got residue in it too. Researching catch tanks at the moment as a lot of old posts contradict each other.

Henry Yorke

Been to the dealer and they found it too. I had looked on that page and missed it. Cheers Alastair.

Part number 1172 79 - £5.26 + VAT - PSOOC discount :).

Ordered an MI oil filler cap too as they only have the one breather hose thing on them. 0258 37 was only £4.81 + VAT. Should look a little neater and reduce the possibility of air seeping in.

jshep205gti
haha at our dealer i just say "a dipstick for a 205 gti" and they say "1.9 or 1.6?"

Man, you are lucky. Everytime I go into Pug in Glos they wait til I finished asking for the parts I want and then say... right, I need your Reg number or chassis number.... then ask me to repeat what I wanted. HATE them with a passion.

If you want to stop oil coming out of the dipstick hole, replace the dipstick as the end cracks and oil leaks through. :) Just done mine.

Shep

Sign in to follow this