• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
kyepan

Mi16 Been Standing For 7 Months

kyepan

Hi there.

Going to look at an MI16 tomorrow as a prospective purchase. Its been standing for four months and then three months before that, then periods of a month or more for about 2 years previous. Heard mention that a longer period of dormancy can cause the rear beam to cease. Is there anything else i should worry about if its been sitting (garaged)..

had a look at the buying guide but it doesn't really cover this odd kind of situation.

cheers

J

RobMGti

From my experience most things on a 205 dont like being left for more than 6 months or so. but a few things that can and may have gone:

Stem Seals

Calipers frozen

Beam as you rightly said

Rad corrosion (if it was left filled)

tyres flat spotted? and sidewalls cracked

Redtop

The crankshaft oilseals or driveshaft oil seals could be starting to crack. Seen this on a few ford engines that were left for a long period of time. You should know to look at it when you see it. The usual things as posted above and how it starts runs and idles. As long as it has been stored in a dry and warm environment I wouldn't think there could be much wrong with it other than tyres maybe perished or flatspotted as stated above.

kyepan

Thanks everyone.

i'll be checking for the following.

beam - listen for knocks and creaks / check for movement.

valve stem seals, blue smoke tendancy to drink oil?

drive shaft / crank shaft oil seals, check for leaks below the joins.. not so sure about crank.

calipers at the front- may replace for newer / upgraded anyway.

jonD6B

It wouldn't hurt to drive it with a little TLC for few miles until everything loosens up from standing either.

kyepan
It wouldn't hurt to drive it with a little TLC for few miles until everything loosens up from standing either.
i hear ya.. easy does it.

jim205GTI

Went back to mine earlier this week.......been working on it just hasn't moved for bloody ages!! it had a seized rear caliper.... one flat tyre ....... but on the plus side when i stuck a charged battery on htere it started first time!! :(

kyepan

it looked good, lots of history, rad tilted forward.. no adapter plate on the dizzy, anyone got any photos of a non hacked about exaust manifold.... he's gonna get it mot'd and get back to me.

Sign in to follow this