• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Vtr Cam Swap

Jim

Someone want's me to do a cam swap on a Saxo VTR.

Whilst I can rebuild a Xu engine with my eyes closed I have never had much to do with the Tu. :ph34r:

I've not even seen the engine yet to get some idea.

So what's involved in the cam swap with the engine in car?

I've heard the head has to come off?

Cheers

Jim

macaroni

Can't really help much as I have always removed the head when changing the cam. Thinking about it, I doubt there is enough room either side of the head to slide the cam out. Still it is a very easy job to remove the head, you just have to have a new gasket and stretch bolts.

hodgy

like he said id take the head off so you have more room plus it dont hurt to do the head gasket as it only costs £20 max for new gasket and bolts and poss a manifold gasket. should only take a few hours

Jim

Cheers for the info.

Would it be possible to undo the engine mounts & tilt the engine to get the cam out?

Does it have hydraulic tappets?

DrSeuss

Might be worth getting the head skimmed a bit to get the compression up. Depends on the cam choice though.

Sandy

Tilting the engine doesn't work, the chassis leg is in the way and you can't get the cam past the followers either, head has to come off.

Sign in to follow this