• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Enfield

205 1.4 Rallye

Enfield

Hi there fellas.

I've got my eyes on a nice 1.4 Rallye and am wondering what it is like. What engine does it have? I noticed that it's only 75bhp, can it be taken up to 100Bhp or at least 85bhp to match the XS quite easily?

Should I wait for an XS to rear its head or go for the Rallye?

Ta :(

Rippthrough
Hi there fellas.

I've got my eyes on a nice 1.4 Rallye and am wondering what it is like. What engine does it have? I noticed that it's only 75bhp, can it be taken up to 100Bhp or at least 85bhp to match the XS quite easily?

Should I wait for an XS to rear its head or go for the Rallye?

Ta :(

The inlets are quite restrictive, so some re-arrangement and tidying up there can release 5-6 horsies.

Sort out the induction and put the XS cam in and you'll be at about 90. Bring the compression up and tidy the ports and you should see 100 easily. Not sure whether the Rallye is carb or injection though? If so you may have the same problem with us - 6.2K limiter on an engine good for 7.5k :D

EDIt: Doh, I see it's carb, in that case you can stick the twin solex + manifold on from an XS, or even from an MG Maestro.

Edited by Rippthrough

Enfield

They do an injection version too, but this one is carbed.

How do you mean sort out the inlet manifold?

And how do you raise the compression?

Rippthrough
They do an injection version too, but this one is carbed.

How do you mean sort out the inlet manifold?

And how do you raise the compression?

Sort out the intake - the plastic ducting itself is strangly restricting. Of course you can change the carb and manifold too while you're there.

Compression - usualy by a cylinder head skim, but can also be done by skimming the block, or fitting different pistons.

Enfield

Just been doing a bit of research and it seems that the euro rallye has a tu24 engine but the UK version has the shares the TU3S engine with the XS.

Rippthrough
Just been doing a bit of research and it seems that the euro rallye has a tu24 engine but the UK version has the shares the TU3S engine with the XS.

It should be 85bhp already then.

Enfield

Bloody hell, you reply quickly :(

Have also found a 1.4 XT, whats that like? Different carb to the XS or something? It's 80bhp.

Rippthrough
Bloody hell, you reply quickly :(

Have also found a 1.4 XT, whats that like? Different carb to the XS or something? It's 80bhp.

Should be a 75bhp I think? Maybe someone else can get back to you on that, but as far as I know it's 75.

Enfield

It replaced the 80Bhp GT, how I don't know.

Rippthrough
It replaced the 80Bhp GT, how I don't know.

Well as far as I know it's 75bhp/80lb ft :(

pugrallye

wasnt the XT the old talbot engine though... XW??

Edited by pugrallye

Sandy

The UK Rallye has the 75bhp XR engine, which is an unusual one, being carb and iron block. The XS had an alloy block and similar but slightly different carb. No UK 205 Rallyes were injection.

macaroni

Go for the Rallye, especially if it has the full stripe kit. Strangely they are seen as cooler than the xs, even though they are pretty much identical.

There is plenty of info on here about tuning these engines. My recommendations for cheap power would be a bigger carb (or carbs!) hotter cam and 4 branch manifold.

You can fiddle with the induction and jetting on the standard carb, but you won't get much more than 5 horses without a bigger carb.

JamieTonks

sorry to barge in. I want to buy a rallye. If anyone has a good un for sale let me know

trogboy

Yep like Sandy says. The UK rallye is basically a cosmetically different XR as it has the 75bhp iron blocked lump and a long ratio gearbox.

The as well as the jetting, the carb casting on the rallye is different to the carb on the XS having different diameter secondary venturi (25mm as opposed to 27mm on the TU3S). The cam is slightly milder too on the Rallye.

Enfield

So it's not a TU3S engine at all then.

What sort of 0-60 times can it pull off? Top speed?

Would it be slower than my previous 1.4i GT phase II?

Enfield

Anyone??

Sandy

With a Janspeed system and K&N but otherwise standard, mine used to do 9.1 to 60.

Enfield
With a Janspeed system and K&N but otherwise standard, mine used to do 9.1 to 60.

Woah nice. The rallye i'm looking at has a full s/s exhaust already, and I have a "Race X" air filter in the garage.

Was your rallye timed using a G-meter or just stopwatch?

Edited by Enfield

Sandy

SPA digital speedometer/acceleration timer, very accurate.

DaveW

the rallye is a light car mind you.

pugrallye

good luck finding a TU24 engine over here

Enfield
good luck finding a TU24 engine over here

I've already found a Rallye :blush:

DaveW

you found a uk rallye on ebay, hes on about the euro rallye. 1294cc with twin 40's.

Enfield
you found a uk rallye on ebay, hes on about the euro rallye. 1294cc with twin 40's.

I never said anything about a euro rallye, hence the thread title saying 1.4 rallye.

Sign in to follow this