• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Mankee

Oil Temperature Sensor In Sump

Mankee

Can anyone shed some light on this please. When I got the 205, the Mi16 oil temp sensor had it's pin sheared off. In a bag of bits I got with the car, there was a similar sensor but it doesn't look identical. It fits in exactly the same place in the sump as the old sensor and, crucially, there is a single connection in the engine bay that isn't hooked up which fits the new green sensor perfectly. My question is, is this new sensor an oil temp sensor? Or might it be an oil pressure sensor?

Old sensor bottom right with pin sheared off. Other sensor I found top left with connection intact and fits in sump fine:

DSCF1746-vi.jpg

Parts in the sump look totally different though:

DSCF1747-vi.jpg

Green connection looks good:

DSCF1748-vi.jpg

By the way, it's an Mi16 engine running off a butchered 1.6 GTi loom (as far as I know) and Emerald and the oil temp sensor doesn't work.

Thanks. :(

Rob_the_Sparky

Well judging by the connections I'd say the green one is a pressure sensor (warning light sensor), and yes they do have the same threads.

Rob

Normski
Well judging by the connections I'd say the green one is a pressure sensor (warning light sensor), and yes they do have the same threads.

Rob

That's exactly what it is (low oil pressure warning sender). It screws into the block just above the oil filter, with the oil pressure gauge sender next to it. :(

Mankee

Nice one! Cheers lads. Now... to solve my original problem. Can I use an oil temp sensor from a 1.6 or 1.9 GTi 8 valve engine in the Mi16 sump? And anyone got one kicking about? :(

Ryan

Yes you can. Most of the sensors are the same on the 8v and 16v engines - the 8v ones are quite handy to keep as spares.

pug_ham

You can use the oil temp sender from an 8v engine as long as the threads are the same.

The later sumps have a smaller sized sender thread.

Graham.

Mankee

Right, I know what sort of thing I'm looking for now. I can't post a Wanted ad up on the forum yet but if anyone does have one spare that's suitable please let me know. My local breakers hasn't got any 205 GTi engines in at the moment. I'll have a look on other XU engines next time I go. :(

les3002

dosnt having the temp sender in the sump give a lower reading the what the actual temp is?

jonD6B
dosnt having the temp sender in the sump give a lower reading the what the actual temp is?

I would have thought it would be the most accurate place for it as it is reading purely oil temp. without picking up any extra heat from the engine itself. The oil is continually circulating so won't be dissipating any heat whilst in the sump.

les3002

thats a good point, i think pug may have looked into a bit aswell!

VisaGTi16v

Are they always single prong connectors in an XU9 Mi16 sump? Reason I ask is that my wiring to the oil temp sensor went missing (lol) when I swapped my old butchered loom to a new one. I will be running a new wire to the dash however I am absolutely certain mine has 2 prongs although its been 6 months since I was under the car. Is one a earth?

VisaGTi16v

Just dawned on me that its probably the oil level sender from when it was in the BX that im attaching to and not the oil temp sensor in the sump itself! Please ignore these posts. I will get under the car at the weekend and post again if im still being stupid :)

Sign in to follow this