• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
les3002

Clutch Problems

les3002

ive recently fitted a new mi16 clutch, flywheel and release bearing to my turbo, when i started it today the bite on the clutch was very high so i adjusted it and it was fine until i started moving down the driveway and something let go. The pedal still feels normal and the cable hasnt snapped seems to be routed correctly, the clutch arm moves freely enough with the cable off and still seems to have the release bearing attached, also when the pedal is pressed i dont get any screeching or strange noises just wont disengage the clutch.

im thinking maybe one half of the release bearing may have snapped preventing me putting enough pressure on the clutch to disengage it, either that or one of the springs in the friction plate has fell out and jammed it.

anyone have any input on this?

Rob_the_Sparky

Yep, when you fit a clutch cable where it goes through the bulkhead is generally so tight that it doesn't go fully into place until you first put your foot on the clutch. Result being a thump as it clicks into place and then having to adjust the clutch to compensate.

Sound possible?

Rob

P.S. Also if you are running a BE1 it is possible that the L shaped bracket on the top of the box has given up the ghost

les3002

not sure mate the box is a be3, i didnt replace the cable but i did have the whole pedal box out although i left the cable connected all the time, also ive adjusted it to the point where there is no more adjustment and i still cant get it to go into gear just crunches.

i really dont want to take the box off again :) might break it for parts.

Rob_the_Sparky

Another (rather nasty) thought...I'm sure I've heard of someone not doing up the box to engine bolts properly and having some rather odd problems as a result. Result is that the clutch pushes the gearbox away from the engine. Pretty long shot that one but worth a try!

Rob

les3002

i attached the gearbox to the engine out of the car so definatly not that one, i think anyway i look at it the box is going to have to come off.

jochem

You might have fitted the clutch plate wrong way against the flywheel...

les3002

i did think of that but it worked ok for a minute or so, would it do that if it was the wrong way round and how can you tell which way it should go?

cheers les

les3002

turned out one of the flywheel bolts had worked loose and destroyed part of the friction plate jamming the clutch with all the broken bits.

another new clutch needed :ph34r:

pug_ham
You might have fitted the clutch plate wrong way against the flywheel...
You couldn't do this imo, the cover plate wouldn't bolt up flush against the flywheel with the clutch plate the wrong way round.

Graham.

Alastairh

Yeah, theres only one way of fitting the clutch plate.

As for the bolts, I've sort of done that before.

Fitted a flywheel, and not torqued the bolts up to the correct settings, and hence sounding VERY weird.

All part of the learning process.

Alastair

les3002

anyone know where you can buy a friction plate sepereate, clutch has only done 5 metres!

think i just didnt do that one bolt up at all :(

they will be torqued up properly with loctite aswell next time.

pug_ham

Les, you have a PM.

Graham.

Sign in to follow this