• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rippthrough

Remove The Valve Guide?

Rippthrough

Now we've got a new head to play with thanks to 15valver, just wondering if anyone had any porting advice for it? I remember the shenpar/Retro cars article said it was OK to remove the protruding valve guide in the ports?!

Sounds a bit worrying to me, so I thought I'd ask the experts on here for opinions?

jackherer
I assume this is the mi16 head?

this thread is in completely the wrong place if it is about the Mi16 :P

M@tt
christopher

I have the retro cars artice that was written by shenpar if it was the one about TU engines....

And yes it says that that there is sufficient guid in the head no problem....

But don't underestimate the gain in flow in removing the boss and adjusting the profile of the valve stem end...

BTW I'm not saying this is ok to do...Just that I am considering it too..

Would like other opinions....Obviously I am talking about a TU

Rippthrough
I have the retro cars artice that was written by shenpar if it was the one about TU engines....

And yes it says that that there is sufficient guid in the head no problem....

But don't underestimate the gain in flow in removing the boss and adjusting the profile of the valve stem end...

BTW I'm not saying this is ok to do...Just that I am considering it too..

Would like other opinions....Obviously I am talking about a TU

So was I :P

Nice to get the responce from you guys though :P

TB_205GTI

PeugeotSport Denamrk removes them. If it's good enough for them, then it's good enough for me.

I've done two heads, and I removed them on both, however they both run std. cams.

Edited by TB_205GTI

DrSeuss
PeugeotSport Denamrk removes them. If it's good enough for them, then it's good enough for me.

I've done two heads, and I removed them on both, however they both run std. cams.

You might get more power but you will still affect the longevity of the valve train.

Mattsav

What head is it?

christopher
What head is it?

Probably a TU3 Matt

BTW looking at sams head you did..You seemed to not remove the guide but instead smooth it out..

http://dcoe.net/gallery/qephead/ported_tu5_1.jpg

not sure if your on foldershare or not but there are some very useful pics of cut through sections of the mi16 head which shoulkd hopefully give you a better idea on what can be done. i've uploaded them to my photobucket site if that's any use

Thats a great photo that. I wish someone would cut a TU24 head open so I could see that... That pic show clearly that the guide on the inlet port cannot be shorted but maybe ok on the exhausr´t.. (I take it teh bigger valve is the inlet one)

Edited by christopher

Rippthrough
Probably a TU3 Matt

BTW looking at sams head you did..You seemed to not remove the guide but instead smooth it out..

http://dcoe.net/gallery/qephead/ported_tu5_1.jpg

Thats a great photo that. I wish someone would cut a TU24 head open so I could see that... That pic show clearly that the guide on the inlet port cannot be shorted but maybe ok on the exhausr´t.. (I take it teh bigger valve is the inlet one)

Yeah, Tu3 head from an xsi/ax gt?

Mattsav

I always fit new guides.

You can remove some of the boss but I chamfer the end of the guide and leave it std length. Never been a fan of just grinding the guide away, it looks like a bodge and reduces the life of it.

The best way to get more power is to fit a Head from a 106 Rallye/1400 XSI/1600 Tu. These have bigger valves and much more flow as std.

There's a nasty little ridge in the back of the Tu3 heads (the casting thickness is not uniform) and to get the proper port shape you end up with a hole in the port!! (been there twice now and it kind of ruins your day)

The only problem is the inlet port spacing is different on the big valve heads.

christopher
I always fit new guides.

You can remove some of the boss but I chamfer the end of the guide and leave it std length. Never been a fan of just grinding the guide away, it looks like a bodge and reduces the life of it.

The best way to get more power is to fit a Head from a 106 Rallye/1400 XSI/1600 Tu. These have bigger valves and much more flow as std.

There's a nasty little ridge in the back of the Tu3 heads (the casting thickness is not uniform) and to get the proper port shape you end up with a hole in the port!! (been there twice now and it kind of ruins your day)

The only problem is the inlet port spacing is different on the big valve heads.

There's a nasty little ridge in the back of the Tu3 heads

Wheres this then Matt?

Rippthrough
There's a nasty little ridge in the back of the Tu3 heads (the casting thickness is not uniform) and to get the proper port shape you end up with a hole in the port!!

That ridge that's about 2-3cm into the inlets? I can't get rid of that then?

Rippthrough

Anyone know if you can use anything other than weld to fill in the dead zone behind the inlet valve guide?

I've heard that some of the americans use some form of epoxy, but I would have thought it would eventually fall out from the vibration.

There's no way I can get my welding gear in there, the only other option is to reshape the guide a little and just smooth the bump, but it would be better if something could fill it.

Rippthrough

So that's a no then :D

Either that or a "It took me years of research to find something that works, bugger off" :)

Reshaping it is.

Sign in to follow this