• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ajones12

Peformance Mods

ajones12

I have H plate 1.9 Gti totally standard that I'm currently trying to get road worthy again after a couple of years lying around.

What are people's thoughts on generally modifying a 1.9 to make it go quicker? I've read about the Mi16 conversion, but this seems a bit complicated and tricky and a turbo conversion etc, but what's the cheapest / cost effective way of tuning a 1.9?

If, as Puma Racing say, the engine is quite well tuned anyway and there aren't any other options then fair enough!

Jonmurgie

Have you tried a search at all?

In a nut shell the best way to get some more power out of an 8v is to fit carbs or throttle bodies, and then a cam... though you'll still be pushing out less than a standard Mi16!

The Mi16 install isn't that complicated, and there are a few members who will take on the conversion for you for not that much wonga...

PumaRacing
I have H plate 1.9 Gti totally standard that I'm currently trying to get road worthy again after a couple of years lying around.

What are people's thoughts on generally modifying a 1.9 to make it go quicker? I've read about the Mi16 conversion, but this seems a bit complicated and tricky and a turbo conversion etc, but what's the cheapest / cost effective way of tuning a 1.9?

If, as Puma Racing say, the engine is quite well tuned anyway and there aren't any other options then fair enough!

There are plenty of options but none of the good ones are cheap. You can fit a hotter cam and lose all the low rpm power. Exhausts will do nothing. An increase in compression ratio by skimming the head adds a tiny bit of power and driveability. A big valve head adds power everywhere but ain't cheap. Carbs or TB's add power everywhere but cost more than the BV head.

The Mi16 option is good value if you can find a decent s/h engine at a good price.

Rob_the_Sparky

You ought to try and get rides in some tweaked cars at the South meet (only a couple of miles from you) and chat to a few people there. I've got a tweaked 8v (although I'm not sure I can make it) and I'm sure there will be more than one 16v there.

I'd go with an Mi16 if I did it again but have too much cash sunk into my 8v now to rip it out.

Rob

jonD6B

Another consideration (that most people normally aren't too fussed about) is the type of power delivery that each option gives you. I personally like alot of low down grunt in a road car but would want a higher revving engine for track use and don't enjoy turbo charged engines in a front wheel drive cars particually.

This is just my opinion of course and others will have theirs.

M3Evo

Hey, you're not the guy with the Red 1.9 near the park are ya? :(

Sign in to follow this