• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
TB_205GTI

Throttle Bodies On A Tu5j4

TB_205GTI

Has anybody here done it?

What are the wownsides of using the curved trumptes like the ones GMC make?

trumpet1.jpg

The good thing is that you can get longer trumpuets without cutting the scuttle.

What will the MPG be? What about cold starts? All the cars I have seen with tb's were a total pig to start, especially when it's cold.

The engine specs are:

1860ccm

Grp. A cams (283 deg, 10.4mm lift)

Edited by TB_205GTI

Sam

Their setup has yet to make the power over a scuttle cut and nice open inlet. They seem to bang on about theory but results seem to differ.

The SF setup, or QEP's new DTH setup would be the best solution, with some 90mm trumpets and maybe a cut scuttle if you need it (you can get away without).

The cold starts and MPG is all down to mapping really, but its never going to be amazing on those cams (MPG).

christopher

I can't see anything wrong with those trumpets. Trumpets are designed to do one thing. Increase the momentum of air flowing into the carb/TB.

Sam

Its a shame in reality they don't give the results. Also when you start introducing sharp 180 bends you get whats called a back-eddy, where the air starts flowing in the opposite direction. I'm sure Sandy or someone else who's studied fluid dynamics can explain it more.

DrSeuss

making anything change direction through 180 degree's loses momentum. Loss of momentum results in loss of energy.

Sam

There you go, cheers Sam.

Rippthrough

The cross sectional shape of the bend is wrong for a 180* change.

christopher
making anything change direction through 180 degree's loses momentum. Loss of momentum results in loss of energy.

Well the particles on the outer edge obviously have a longer way to travel then those on the short side radius. But I would have thought that the overall gain in the increase of momentum (due to a longer tract would be beneficial) since the particles are mixed as the diameter of the tract decreases. Its not a sharp curve after all. Have we forgotten that a cylinder head is in essence similar but more extreme a curve

Rippthrough
Well the particles on the outer edge obviously have a longer way to travel then those on the short side radius. But I would have thought that the overall gain in the increase of momentum (due to a longer tract would be beneficial) since the particles are mixed as the diameter of the tract decreases. Its not a sharp curve after all. Have we forgotten that a cylinder head is in essence similar but more extreme a curve

But you'll also notice a cylinder port isn't cylindrical at the apex of the bend. Well, it shouldn't be anyway.

EDIT:- do a google image search for "Micron serpent header", it's the easiest way to show what the shape should be more like.

Edited by Rippthrough

Sam

if it was such a good setup/idea, why didn't peugeot use it ?

TB_205GTI

Sam: Cutting the scuttle is a total no-go for me due to the Danish MOT :o

That gives me two possible solutions:

1) get _really_ short trumpets,

2) get curved ones, but hopefulle better power/torque than with the ultra short ones. With the GMC solution I can still use my Simota enclodes filter, and the engine bay still lokks rather like a std. enginebay.

Sam

Why not just get the jenvey SF setup and use 90mm trumpets, it does fit. Theres a guy running 144@wheels with that setup.

TB_205GTI
Why not just get the jenvey SF setup and use 90mm trumpets, it does fit. Theres a guy running 144@wheels with that setup.

Might be an option given it fits with no rubbing and an airfilter..

Do you have any pictures? (I saw the pictures of bic's Maxi engine - what a beast!)

christopher
if it was such a good setup/idea, why didn't peugeot use it ?

I dunno Sam. Probably beacuse those long straight ones are better:-P But its not uncommon to see 90 degree ones on racing Lancia, Fiats and alfas in the 70's

charlie_sav

Pics of that engine sam is on about, he has just the top edge don't know if he was planning on cutting the whole scuttle out or it helps him get the filter on,

pity you can not cut yours it does not really effect the fire wall except fames being drawn into the heating fan, and it's not really a main structual part of the car.

IMG_1186-vi.jpg

IMG_1354-vi.jpg

d-9
except fumes being drawn into the heating fan

You would be amazed how big a headache you get from petrol condensing on the inside of the windscreen :P

Sandy

LoL, or badly positioned oil breathers!

TB_205GTI

OK - *maybe* just *maybe* I'm so lucky to get a set of the Original 106 Maxi throttle bodies from a Saxo. It comes with trumpets and a panel filter - but needs cutting the scuttle.. Can the curved trumpets be used with theese tb's?

Sam

I'm not sure if they have clearance but the flange is certainly the same thats for sure.

Sign in to follow this