• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest TSL 333

How Long Will A Slipping Clutch Last?

Guest TSL 333

As above really - 205 1.6 GTI. Just bought it at the weekend and realised that the clutch is slipping very slightly. Assuming that I slip the clutch as little as possible (difficult as it is Hot Hatch day on Sunday at Knockhill) will this last for a while or do these go pretty quickly? :lol:

888rmb

Have you tried adjusting the cable? It might be holding the clutch off a bit. Worth checking anyway.

If it is slipping I guess it just depends on how you drive the car as to how much longer it lasts.

Guest TSL 333
Have you tried adjusting the cable? It might be holding the clutch off a bit. Worth checking anyway.

If it is slipping I guess it just depends on how you drive the car as to how much longer it lasts.

No I have not tried adjusting the cable. The biting point is fairly central so would adjusting the clutch cable help? Having just purchased the car (my first Peugeot) I am unfamilair with the set up. I take it then that the clutch cable is not self adjusting or hydraulic?

madmat

Hi,if its the later be3 box i think the adjustment is on the end of the cable where it passes through the lever on the gearbox,just try undoing it a bit see if it helps(have you got a haynes manual?)But with regards to clutches mine started slipping last summer whilst towing(405) and is still ok now,i think it was just warning me!Sometimes they just keep slipping so watch out :lol:

Rippthrough

That's a bit like asking how long a piece of string is ;)

Check the cable, and make sure nothings getting in the way of the release arm. If they're OK, start saving and prey :o

Rob_the_Sparky

Very unlikely, the pedal would be so high you'd have a hard time getting your foot on it.

If you drive without it slipping then it could last quite some time. If you drive it hard then could be shot quite rapidly. Changing a clutch isn't too hard but is a flippin awkard job, might just be worth doing it pronto.

Rob

Jonmurgie

For the sake of ~£60 I'd change the clutch before you go to Knockhill... there is a guide on removing the gearbox and replacing the clutch here:

http://www.mdracing.co.uk/howto.asp (they are also on the main 205Drivers site)

Paintguy

How long will it last? As mentioned, maybe months, maybe minutes!

But if it's not just an adjustment problem, I'd also suggest getting it done ASAP to be on the safe side. If the rivets start biting in to the flywheel, you're looking at ££s to get it refaced or replaced, and if the worst happens and all the friction material decided to let go whilst you're driving, it won't be pretty!

I don't know if Jon mentions it in his guide, but I would always suggest changing the driveshaft seals any time the 'box has to come out. They're only a few quid from such as Euro Car Parts, so it's a false economy not to. :(

Guest TSL 333

Cheers guys. As noted, I only have 3 days and I am working two of them!! I am also not very good with the tools!!! I did buy a Haynes workshop manual today though. If it slips, it slips. I will check the cable mechanism however my gut feel is that it is a slippping clutch. Will replace it before March (or try to!!!!)

gti_al

I had the same problem recently. I went out to fill the car up the night before a trackday, (everything seemed perfect) and thought i would give it some to make sure everything was working as it should... Within minutes it had gotten to the point where it wouldn't go up hills, and i barely got home.

Perhaps check that there isn't any oil on the face of the flywheel? My rear main was looking pretty bad, and there was a fair bit of oil sitting down there.

Guest smokinslim
Very unlikely, the pedal would be so high you'd have a hard time getting your foot on it.

Say your pedal was like that anyway, would that perhaps suggest that tha clutch is quite worn and someone's over adjusted the cable to compensate?

I was told a previous owner of the car was very short, had it for a year n a half now!

Rob_the_Sparky

From experience of a couple of pug clutches I would say yes. As they get old they have needed to be adjusted higher to get them to clear whereas my cars fitted with new clutches clear much earlier, even with less travel.

Even so it is unikely that the pedal is anywhere the top end of its travel, try lifting the pedal and see if there is any movement left. It is amazing how high it will go before the end stop is reached.

Rob

Anthony

Worth checking that there's not oil leaking from the dizzy area into the gearbox bellhousing - seen that before and that'll cause the clutch to slip. More likely that it's worn out though and that's why the seller was getting shot.

Guest TSL 333

Well, just finished Knockhill yesterday and the clutch seems fine. It slipped a bit when changing from 3rd to 4th up the main straight however only slightly. By the way, I drive a modified Subaru Impreza (330 bhp with Prodrive springs, strut braces, 18" Pff7's and fast road geometry set up and I can assure you that I had the time of my life yesterday. These Pugs corner like they are on rails. Even they are out of control, they are in control - if you know what I mean!!!

Sign in to follow this