• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
notamondayfan

Cti Roof Replacement

notamondayfan

hey all,

im looking to replace the material on the CTI roof (my dads car).

he got a quote from peugoet for around £2k!

ive heard there are people who can take the metal structure and put a new canopy onto it for a lot less.

any ideas of where?

cheers, dean

Guest smokinslim

Check Ebay mate. £350 for a vinyl hood, £4-450 for a mohair one. Both from germany i think. Also i occasionally see vinyl factory 'seconds' for about £75. Or the other option is to look out for a cj or cti going for spares or repair with a good hood. Quite often the hood had it but i have seen some good ones about.

As for fitting, is DIY not an option? I know i'd much rather figure it out myself than pay someone else to do the same as i would in the end, especially when you look at dealership prices.

If you do go for the secondhand option and end up with a spare rear window i may be interested. I've been trying to figure out how to tint the rear window on my cj but don't wanna risk making a mess of the one on the car as i don't have a spare at present.

Frequentflyer
hey all,

im looking to replace the material on the CTI roof (my dads car).

he got a quote from peugoet for around £2k!

ive heard there are people who can take the metal structure and put a new canopy onto it for a lot less.

any ideas of where?

cheers, dean

Hallo Dean,

I had mine replaced, professionally, by a company just beside Chessington World of Adventure (South of London) in the summer. All told - with a mohair hood it cost some £500 - but that did not include me running around to find/buy the bar that runs across the top of the boot which secures the back of the hood to the car - when they got the old hood off they discovered the old bar to be mostly rusted away - another £100+!

If you are interested, I will look out the bills and the name/contact details for the companies concerned.

I know that there was another company - I found all the details on the web - up near Manchester, who did the same thing, but their quote was somewhat more.

Overall quite expensive - especially on a car, that you can probably buy for the same sort of cash. However if you think of it in terms of investing in a future classic, or - as I do - as a car I am proud of, then I don't suppose it matters too much?

Please advise

Roy

PhilCTI

Hello Dean,

I was weighing up the options and finally decided to keep the costs down and go for it and do it myself, and took a chance on a £75 second off ebay, although I must say I can't see anything wrong with it at all.

If your handy with a drill and a rivet gun, there's no reason why you can't do it yourself, I'd never done one before, and with the help of Jo my wife, we've been steadily replacing the roof and it's now nearly done. If you follow my link at the bottom and look in January's pics you'll see that the frame needed a bit of treatment before fitting the new roof, some frames can be worse, so I was quite lucky really.

It does make you feel good when you do things yourself, but on the other hand, if you can afford it and want to pay to have it done thats fine, it's your choice,

good luck,

Phil

Henry Yorke

My brother fitted a £75 "Piglet" hood to his CTI and it was fine. A little stretched in places andyou will find that a lot of the frame has disolved too! The rear screens don't unzip from these hoods though

vern

Dean

I got my mohair hood from eurotop for £350, and am more than happy with quality it also has the zip out window. Although a german company they reply very quickly to emails and will help out with any technical problems. I have the instructions I can send you, if you pm me your email address. As said before it is not that hard to fit, it is the dissolving frame that takes the time to sort out.

vern

rooster

i was very lucky i got a new roof on a refurbed frame for 350 quid. wot a bargain you can get em if ya look around :(

Sign in to follow this