• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
driversdomainuk

Mi16 Conversion

driversdomainuk

Hi

Can anyone give a rough estimate on how much a decent garage would charge for fitting an Mi16 engine to my 205, currently has a 1.9 BE3 box (which I would intent to keep) - FITTING ONLY

Am possibly looking to spend around £1000.00 on a good engine, which has beeen modified - as I guess this will be much cheaper than buying an engine and doing the mods yourself.

Out of interet, what would I get for £1000.00??

Cheers

DrSeuss

No offence meant but seeing just how many of us have 16v engines, what makes you think this hasn't been asked before?

How long is a piece of string would be the obvious answer.

And you don't want to keep your 1.9 box.

notamondayfan

id b careful buyin a already modded engine, u dont know for sure just what its had done, and u might not find out until u get on the rolling road. some people will say anything to get a higher price.

also if u buy a premodded engine, chances are it isnt going to be in the best shape. if i were u id look for a low milage, untouched engine, then decide what to do 2 it.

start with a good building block, and work up from there, remember also that the 16valver is pretty powerful as standard.

driversdomainuk
And you don't want to keep your 1.9 box.

I think I want to keep it - it was only fully reconed 2 yrs ago

j_turnell

Why not ring around a few companies for quotes...

Martin@PRD
Hi

Can anyone give a rough estimate on how much a decent garage would charge for fitting an Mi16 engine to my 205, currently has a 1.9 BE3 box (which I would intent to keep) - FITTING ONLY

Am possibly looking to spend around £1000.00 on a good engine, which has beeen modified - as I guess this will be much cheaper than buying an engine and doing the mods yourself.

Out of interet, what would I get for £1000.00??

Cheers

Hi Fella,

Get a few quotes then come and speak with me on msn, we will promise to beat any quote given by any other garage.

Dont go and buy engine just yet until you finalise all the details, you may find you will need group A engine mounts and clutch etc. paying a grand for a MI16 is ridiculous, especially running on the standard engine management.

I Recommend,

Buy an low mileage engine (405) £400

New clutch £80

Lower Group A engine mount £25

Modified exhaust manifold to clear bulk head £70

Edited by Martin@PRD

RobMGti

Edited - problem resolved

Edited by RobMGti

jonD6B
I think I want to keep it - it was only fully reconed 2 yrs ago

I think that was said as the ratio's could be considered a little long for an MI engine.

kenan

There is a guy on here who did it for me. I had an engine supplied, rebuilt etc. Belive the standard charge for fitting only is about £300-£350 and it's a really good job. The usual garage would make a hash of it if you ask me.

looks like below:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v430/ken...ill/my205mi.jpg

driversdomainuk
Hi Fella,

Get a few quotes then come and speak with me on msn, we will promise to beat any quote given by any other garage.

Dont go and buy engine just yet until you finalise all the details, you may find you will need group A engine mounts and clutch etc. paying a grand for a MI16 is ridiculous, especially running on the standard engine management.

I Recommend,

Buy an low mileage engine (405) £400

New clutch £80

Lower Group A engine mount £25

Modified exhaust manifold to clear bulk head £70

Hi - I already have Grp N engine mounts...thing is, I have had the folowing replaced on my 8v within a yr (3000 miles)

new fly wheel

new starter motor

new battery

new dizzy

and it already has twin 45 webers.

which of these (apart from the carbs) will fit directly to an MI16..?

Cheers

Edited by driversdomainuk

jackherer

you can use the starter and battery on the Mi16 but not the dizzy or flywheel.

(ok technically you could use both the dizzy and flywheel too but it would be a nasty bodge, I'm only telling you now before someone else does and you get the wrong idea :) )

edit: ignore that, as you have carbs you will be keeping the dizzy too. but you still need to use an Mi16 flywheel as they use a larger clutch

Simes
There is a guy on here who did it for me. I had an engine supplied, rebuilt etc. Belive the standard charge for fitting only is about £300-£350 and it's a really good job. The usual garage would make a hash of it if you ask me.

looks like below:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v430/ken...ill/my205mi.jpg

Same guy did mine. :)

Pugnut

just to add that the mi16 with the 1.9 gearbox is no slouch , keep the rpm in the right place and you'll be flying .Changing gear 5-10 mph after someone else can give you a good few car lengths

driversdomainuk
just to add that the mi16 with the 1.9 gearbox is no slouch , keep the rpm in the right place and you'll be flying .Changing gear 5-10 mph after someone else can give you a good few car lengths

Thing is, when I bought the car, it was used for motorway cruising and had longer 4th and 5th (which means at 70 I am doing 2500rpm!)

Easy to sort out...????, as it is a total track car and comfort is of zero importance

Edited by driversdomainuk

Sign in to follow this