• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Sam

Base Model Vs Gti Shell

Sam

I am going to be fitting some 8" wide 16s to the car very shortly (with low profiles) and will obviously need to hack about the rear arches.

Have many people done it before?

The rear arch has a kind of "roof" which joins the outer skin almost instantly, do I cut out the outer skin and then somehow refix the "roof" to the outer panel?

Has anyone got any pictures of the inside of either GTI or base model rear arches, so I can explain a little easier?

allanallen

I did this on mine the inner arch is bonded to the outer arch i cut the outer arch away so there was just enough left to screw the arch exstension on then hammered the inner arch up to meet the outer then welded them together painted them and undersealled recon id get 18s on if i wanted

no pics sorry

you will also need to chop a bit of the back bumper away but the arch covers it anyway

Edited by allanallen

stu_woac

are you keeping the non gti look sam??

if so I was able to beat the inner arch flat to the outer body with no damage to the outer skin.

but you could just cut the inner arch out then fold up higher and use seamsealer to seal back up,

I can get pics over the weekend as axle is coming off for you if needed

• Like 1

Sam

Stu, I'll probably be fitting some rallye arches, or maybe the wider ones, to cover the 8J rims.

Some pics would be very handy thanks :blush:

Sam

stu_woac

change of plans this weekend for personal reasons so I have not got the rear beam off should come off during the week now

if your going to hide it then your not going to have to much of a problem I'd love to see these on after tho it will look phat

LOL

Sam

Just ordered the arches! I'll keep this thread updated.

Miles

Just be careful, A lad who lives a couple of doors up from a mate, Got a ban put on his car (needs new MOT) as his wheels/tyres where rubbing and sticking out to far, Well the car's silly low with around 5mm travel at the back before the bump stop but that got over looked

Sam

I have plenty of travel all round but the wheels don't rub, the fronts do stick out a fair wack but I can only see the police pulling me over if I drive like I want to be pulled over, which I don't. thanks for the warning though, everyone who's seen the car has said "Isn't that illegal" - which it is but its not like I'm about to sort it....

speedy

I have Azev 8 x 16's going on my car and i cut the arches.

you need to cut the outer panel and cut the inner panel. than get them welded togather ( always remember to seal it from the inside properly togather as well just in case). In most cases it also strenghtens the bodywork. Only downside is you might need to respray the sides. We do it regularly when fitting wide body kits or arches.

Sam

I think I'll do it with seam sealer, apparently this is how the GTI is done, I may weld, we'll see.

Sam

stu_woac

did you eat the arches away sam lol

looking good tho keep it up almost there

Sam

I didn't fit these wheels on standard arches. They'd never have fitted :(

I just hope I can seal it all up nicely so it doesn't rust or anything. Cape it in sealant should do it.

I'm going to send away the front arches (I had the wider ones) as they are TOO wide and it looks a bit silly.

stu_woac

have you cut the bumper away abit to as you may find it will rub that too my 15 195 50 did with standard shocks and a boot full of crap so they may do to because of there size

Sam

I've cut away the bumper quite a bit. I also cut a good extra inch height wise on the arch pictured above. Ended up cutting alot away, coated it all in zinc primer and then used a load of sikoflex sealer. I'll get some pics tomorrow. Just need the front arches now!!

Sam

paul205mi16

dont surpose that u have any pics of the cutting on the inner arches as im doing exactly the same to my xs(cutting and putting euro rally arches on!)

would be help ful to see before i start on mine

Sam

I'll take some tomorrow if I get some spare time!

Sam

tom_m

looking good sam, i'm glad you haven't gone for the HOOGE front arches, it woulda ruined the look of your car!

you haven't let on yet what you're gonna do about colour? are you keeping it a secret?

Sam

The arches are staying black if thats what you mean? :ph34r:

Sign in to follow this