• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Martin W

Hub Stud Conversion

Martin W

Ok sounds like a daft question but ... when you screw the new stud into the hub does it not undo when you undo the nut that attaches the wheel?

I'm considerin the studs from www.205challenge.com

I have done a search but this has never been explained.

Cheers

Martin

hengti

Not sure how these are fitted - are they not splined bolts for drifting into the hub?

jackherer

I use a bit of threadlock to hold the studs to the hubs.

Martin W
Not sure how these are fitted - are they not splined bolts for drifting into the hub?

I'm not sure, I hadn't thought of that, just wanted to see how other people had got on with them. Are they usually splined?

I definitely want these for my track 205 to save time changing over wheels.

Thanks

Martin

hengti

Following jackherer's post, I had another think (I'm a bit slow sometimes!)

Don't think they can be splined, as the std wheel bolts obviously thread into the hub - guess the stud conversion must screw in from the back of the hub, which jh has sort of confirmed by saying he's threadlocked them in

When tightening the new wheel nuts, you'd actually be turning them against the thread of the stud as it goes into the hub (if that makes sense) so that won't cause any problems. But when undoing the nuts, you'd be turning in the same direction as you would to undo the studs - there'll be a reason behind this, but I can't imagine the wheel studs would unscrew from the back of the hub instead of the wheel nuts undoing

this is making my head hurt

Ryan

They are just basic 12mm studs that screw into the hubs. You need to use threadlock and screw them in tightly. I've had my wheels off dozens on times and they've never come unscrewed.

jackherer

I've had one come undone but it was because I have open nuts and a lot of salt and grit had corroded onto the thread causing the nut to be locked on the stud. I just cleaned it up with a wire brush and threadlocked it in.

pug_ham

I have two different kinds of studs now, the ones I did a grop buy for last year & some that are from Peugeot sport (afaik) that came with some hubs I bought.

The ones from the group buy's I did screw into the hub & need threadlock to hold them in but the others are fitted from the back of the drive flange with a tab to hold them in place & might be held in by splines, I've not tried to remove one so can't say for sure.

Martin, you can get them for about half the price of the 205challange shop,. I got everything through a local distributor for Graystone engineering & a full set of 16 60mm studs & open nuts was about £30 iirc.

Graham.

Wurzel

There are many different types of stud conversion out there. The tabbed ones (bit like a nail) as Pugtorque suggests, sometimes need the threads drilling out of the hub and the stud tapped in from the inside out. some can be fitted with the thread intact.

The ones Pugtorque obtained for many are threaded studs that simply screw in to the hub as if it were a bolt, leaving a long protrusion. I threadlocked mine as many do. It should be screwed in so that there is at least two threads protruding. You could then peen the end over so that it won't unscrew but you need to do a good job else it will unscrew if the nut is seized and ruin your hub thread.

Guest abmotorsport

Majority of cases the stud screws into the hub and you use loctite to secure. Dont use permenant loctite as if you need to replace it will rip the threads out the hubs.

Word of caution, there are many people selling these conversions all over the place.

Be particularly cautious what the studs are made from as most 'cheap' conversions use a very inferior metal stud. Peugeot sport used the best stud type and its the only ones we sell or recommend, have seen so many times studs stretch or simply snap.

Track car flat in 4th or 5th around a corner and you are relying on £1-00 studs, you do the math!

Sign in to follow this