• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jonD6B

Rear Shocks.

jonD6B

I've just had a quick flick through the Haynes manual as I thought I'd whip the rear shocks off on Saturday and noticed that it states that the mounting bolts must be exactly 288.0mm apart before tightening. Why is this and what effect would it have on the car if this distance was wrong?

Jonmurgie

If your just removnig the shocks then you don't have to worry about the mounting distance... it's only if you dismantle the beam fully that you need to take measurements as it's changing the distance between shock mounts that lowers the car (by removing the torsion bars etc.)

Anthony

I think you've got the wrong end of the stick Jon - if you rebuild a 205 GTi beam to 288mm between shock centers then it would be sat on the bumpstops!

I think what Haynes are getting at is that if you lower the car onto the ground so that it's sitting with the suspension compressed to it's usual amount and then tighten the shock bolts, you'll stress the bushes on either end of the shocks less than if you tighten them with the suspension at full droop (as the bush will twist when you lower the car down).

In my opinion if doesn't make a great deal of odds with the rear shocks, unlike say front wishbone bushes that you must tighten loaded.

jonD6B

Ah, good stuff. By the way is there a link on here anywhere that gives details about changing the rear ARB? I have had a look but haven't found anything on swapping them yet.

Jonmurgie

Ah well I didn't know what the 288mm measurement WAS exaclty, only that it's when you dismantle the beam you can take a measurement for use later on :)

Guest smokinslim

I've gotta agree wit JonD6B on what Haynes say bout rear dampers. They make it seem so much more complex than it actually is

Anthony
Ah, good stuff. By the way is there a link on here anywhere that gives details about changing the rear ARB? I have had a look but haven't found anything on swapping them yet.

Have a look through the rear beam rebuild guide on the main site - alot of the info in there is irrelevent for what you want, but it tells you how to remove and refit the ARB. It's basically 2 x 13mm bolts (one either side) and winding a bolt into one end of the ARB to seperate the endplate and ARB.

Sign in to follow this