• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest duncan

Which Engine For My 205 Rallye

Guest duncan

I have a 106 TU2J2 rallye engine with the injector ports welded up so it runs on R6 carbs and a 205xs TU3s engine. Both are high mileage and need a rebuild. I would like to build a new engine for the uk 205 rallye sitting unloved in my garage (with a knackered iron block TU3) but don't know whether to:

a. Rebuild TU2J2

b: Rebuild TU3S

c: Put TU2J2 head on TU3S bottom (I found a post using search saying this is possible but no details about compression problems or piston/valve clearances)

What do think is best and before anyone shouts TU5 I want to stick with a small cc alloy engine.

I think the Rallye head on the XS bottom would give me bigger valves and slightly bigger capacity + the ability to use the carbs and manifold I have (which would not fit the TU3s head) so on paper looks best but if someone who knows about the compression could post I'd be grateful (all other views or ideas welcome to!)

TB_205GTI

TU5 - now I did it. I cannot see any reason to use one of the small TU's.

A TU3S with TU24 head and 40mm webers can with little hassle push out 125Bhp.

d-9
TU5 - now I did it. I cannot see any reason to use one of the small TU's.

Weight, iron block not ally, some people have said it disturbs the handling of the rallye, but ive never driven one so cant say.

DaveW

surely the weight cant be that much its a light enough engine as it is!

d-9

lol, I dunno, but I can easily carry a complete rallye bottom end, wheras the 1.9gti bottom end is a bit more like hard work and im guessing the VTR/XU9 bottom ends are similer in weight.

OK its 1.30am, you expect sense?

Edited by d-9

Sandy

Iron block is 23kg heavier, i've had both in mine and you feel it.

DaveW

wow 23kg thats quite bit more than i thought...

Guest duncan

Weight is one reason for sticking with a small cc alloy engine but I also think a small high revving engine is more fun and perhaps a little bit safer for me (given my record of leaving the road at high speed when my talent runs out!)

Any views on Tu2 vs Tu3s?

d-9

Never driven the TU2, but the 106rallye engine is superb, soo revy and sweet.

Guest duncan

Looks like plan for a hybread Tu2/Tu3 may be a non starter stripped the head of the Tu2 today and found a small crack on the head.

http://home.btconnect.com/haen/images/a100_0862.jpg

This was the cylinder which had a water leak from the head gasket going not sure if this would of caused the crack?

So I think its going to be Tu3s all the way (unless some one has a TU24 they are giving away)

TB_205GTI
Never driven the TU2, but the 106rallye engine is superb, soo revy and sweet.

The 106 Rallye 1.3 IS a TU2 - TU2J2

The 106 Rallye 1.6 is a TU5J2.

If you can feel the difference between an alloy and an iron engine - then you're driving too hard. :huh:

christopher
Weight is one reason for sticking with a small cc alloy engine but I also think a small high revving engine is more fun

th 1.3 Rallye engine has an even shorter stroke then the TU3S and it just revs and revs..

I'm really wondering how a 1.6 TU engine will compare...anyone?

Sandy

I find the standard TU5J2 a bit flat, torquey but lazy with it, compared to the 1.3/1.4, but with a cam and bodies it gets pretty meaty and better.

TB_205GTI

Nearly std. TU5J2 - pretty good torque curve and a good climbing power curve.

It drove really good - but not even nearly as good as a std. TU5J4.

rullefelt.jpg

Edited by TB_205GTI

Sign in to follow this