• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
macaroni

Tu5 Engine With Tu3 Inlet Manifold?

macaroni

There is a very good chance that my tu3 engine is lunched, I will know by this weekend. If so, I have been thinking of replacements and would like to consider a vtr engine. I don't want to be bothered with the engine management side of things, so wondered if I could use my tu3 inlet manifold and carb on a tu5 engine?

I realise I would need some sort of dizzy converter and loads of other stuff.

Is this a viable route or am I p!ss!ng in the wind?

allanallen

if your head is good then just use the bottom end of the vtr you need the vtr cambelt, and you need to drill the holes out on the alternator pully to fit the bottom end and you need the back water hose from the vtr block (the one that goes to the radiator) well woth doing

oh and the flywheel cover off the vtr

Edited by allanallen

macaroni

Cool - what about using a dizzy/carbs/manifold etc?

Is the clutch bigger on a 1.6TU than a 1.4TU?

DaveW

also you have to cover over the injector holes too, not sure on the manifold tho cant see why it wont tho...

allanallen

its all the same, use the 205 flywheel and clutch, the carb is fine the jet is small but will do the job you can get the vtr head converted to dizzy for around 100 but in my opinion it works really well with a xs head on vtr bottom mine is stripped out, and has vtr bottom end and standard xs head and does 1/4 mile in 15 seconds (yes im still moddin it) thats quicker than some 2litre turbos!!!!!

oh and the standard carb!!!

macaroni

Sounds good. I realise what a numpty I am, obviously if I use the xs head, I get a dizzy thrown in for free!

I don't have a standard carb, I have a Weber 38DGAS and the 1.4 is a bit too small for it, but the 1.6 should be just fine. I am getting more excited by this every minute!

I hope my block is cracked!!

DaveW

im sure my mate runs his vtr engine on a 38 tho it dont run great but ive not seen him for ages....

allanallen
I hope my block is cracked!!

ha ha whats the weber off? im puttin a twin choke 34-36 weber on mine off a pinto

p.s your exhaust manifold will also fit

Ted

might be wise to do a search about putting the xs head on the vtr bottom end, i'm sure there were compression issues to over come.

allanallen
might be wise to do a search about putting the xs head on the vtr bottom end, i'm sure there were compression issues to over come.

nope mines done 4500miles still sweet no problems

DaveW

yeah i sam try it got real high compression ratios

allanallen

high compresion is good

mine also is pretty economical

macaroni

My Weber was off Ted!

Is your engine still at large Ted?

Chances are it will just be a head/gasket problem with my engine, but I suspect a cracked block/liner.

Rippthrough

Would the dizzy need adjusting to compensate for the higher compression? Or is the ignition advance on these fairly mild anyway?

Ted
My Weber was off Ted!

Is your engine still at large Ted?

Chances are it will just be a head/gasket problem with my engine, but I suspect a cracked block/liner.

yes it is... PM if interested...

christopher

This should work fine. But remember you have fairly small valves on an XS compared to 1.6 TU/TU24 and probably ports too

allanallen
This should work fine. But remember you have fairly small valves on an XS compared to 1.6 TU/TU24 and probably ports too

no, the inlet valves are slightly smaller on the xs not even 1mm

stu_woac

on the tu3 head the vavles are not domed so you get alittle more of a compression but not to high mines been running out on track now for 5000 miles gets the crap drove out of it still going strong

Sign in to follow this