• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
migti

1.6 Gti With 1.9 Front Setup

migti

Hi all

bought a 1.6 gti at weekend its has 1.9 front setup with a std drum braked 1.6 beam

I feel the brake pedal has way to much travel as i am used to a pedal box

Could anyone tell me which Master cyl (i.e 405/406 ect) would give me the shortest travel/best feel?

Manythanks

Anthony

That combination shouldn't give any different pedal travel to a standard 1.6 or 1.9 (both use a 20.6mm MC). If you've got loads of travel, then I'd suggest it either needs the brakes bleeding, or the rear drum adjusters are playing silly sods.

The biggest MC you can fit will give the shortest travel (non-ABS 406 23mm one) but it's not nice at all to drive on standard calipers, as the brakes have next to no travel between nothing and locked up. Stick with a MC that's sized in relation to the piston-size of the calipers it's feeding fluid to.

Pugnut
or the rear drum adjusters are playing silly sods.

i'de bet my grandmother that they are siezed .i used to have to do mine biannually no matter how i cleaned them up and greased them.

Sign in to follow this