• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
newdean0

Mi Top End Rebuild

newdean0

Right, have finally got myself an mi engine ~90K and some 3 row management to go in my car but not having attempted something this big before I've got a few questions:

What comes in a 'head gasket set'? Does this include inlet/exhaust manifold and rocker cover gaskets?

Where's the best place to get the bits from? Pug are pricy but my general experience with pattern parts has been miserable. Are certain key parts worth getting original?

I'm trying to do this on a sensible budget because the car's generally a bit of a s*itter but I'm going to take the head off, re-lap the valves to ensure performance is as good as it can be.

I was going to leave the bottom end well alone apart from the sump gasket and 2 crankshaft end seals, I might get a baffle welded in if I can do it cheap enough to safeguard the engine.

Cheers

Dean

pug309twin40s

headset usually comes with the following:

Rocker cover gaskets

Inlet and exhaust gaskets

Vavle steam seals

Camshaft seals

The little oil filter for the cyl head

Thermostat gasket

Some headsets will come with the headgasket but most dont and you have to buy the headgasket separate.

QEP or GSF is the best place to get the parts

Its worth putting in some new big end bearings.

Veero

Head gasket set from ECP was £69 and it did include the HG.

Additional to those mentioned above it included the spark plug bore/rocker cover seals and the 3 bolt hole down the middle of the rocker cover seals.

Had a couple of ones I didnt recognise, I guess that was thermostat seal and something else...

Veero

C_W

Yea the headsets usually included everything you can think of using a gasket or o-ring at the top end and more. But you can usually find where everything goes and leave only maybe one or 2 parts left for when there is a variation in housings etc.

They save a huge amount on invidvidual Peugeot prices (eg it will cost over £20 for the 4 camshaft oil seals from a dealer).

fiji bob

that much?! great something else ive got to replace

Jonmurgie

If your taking the sump off would it not be an idea to check/replace the crank bearings as well, they are only a few quid each and then you'd know the bottom end was also pretty sound :o

ANDYGON
If your taking the sump off would it not be an idea to check/replace the crank bearings as well, they are only a few quid each and then you'd know the bottom end was also pretty sound :o

good advice

boombang

Agree with all the advice above.

If it gave good compression before and honing on bores still looks good then I would leave rings as they are, but if compression is poor or there is wear to the liners go for a re-hone and set of rings.

Banjo

...And main bearings.. big end bearings.. thrust bearings and crank polish if your lucky...

Just rebuild the whole thing and do a proper job, i've seen so many Peugeot 8 and 16vs knock the bottom ends out its not worth skimping.

Ben

newdean0

Whoa, this is starting to sound more and more like a complete rebuild :). I take it by crank bearings you mean big ends not the main bearings?

I'm against putting new bearings in on old journals without at least getting them checked/prepared at a machine shop which means the crank would need to come out. If I go to this expense I might as well go for a full rebuild which is out of my price range.

Just out of interest, has anyone run an engine more than 10K miles after just putting new shells in? I seem to remember a couple of posts a while back about people putting new bearings in but spinning the shells again soon after.

Sign in to follow this