• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
M@tt

206 Instrument Cluster Wiring Help!

M@tt

right well i've started to mate the 206 dash wiring loom up to the 205 stuff :D

all was going well as i've managed to get all the heater controls sorted but then i came to the instrument cluster :)

well in the haynes 206 wiring diagrams it lists 2 connectors going into the back of the instrument cluster one 18pin one (which there is on my instrument cluster) and one 26pin one (which there isn't)

and to compund this none of the numbers on the wires match those listed in the wiring diagrams

i'm starting to think this is possibly a multiplex system, do you know if there are any wiring diagrams which document this? the model number for the instrument cluster is 6104 VL which is not listed on the pug parts cd although there are tonnes of other 6104 xx models listed. the part was made on 04/05/03.

any help appreciated

DrSeuss

Just thought i'd chime in with lots of unhelpful stuff. The instrument cluster at least on stuff like bimmers and mercs contains loads of info and was one of the very first bits to become multiplex on any car. So the likelihood is yes.

Unfortunately either way, its likely to be tooooo damn complex to simply hook into 205 wiring. What you could do is modify 205 clocks to fit the fascia of the 206 clocks.

Good luck anyway. I hope you get some joy out of it all.

benje

There any wires twisted together (i.e. twisted pairs?) This would tend to indicate the use of some form of Bus, be it CAN or whatever the Pug multiplex system uses (assuming it to be CAN)

Ben

M@tt

cheers sam ;)

no there are no twisted wires they appear to just be single.

i shouldbe getting my hands on the autodata cd so hopefully that might shine a bit more light on the situation

if i can get the non multiplexed version or at least one where the wires are the same listed as those on the diagram then i think i should be able to be done without too much hassle to be honest.

benje

Surely you can take the mechanical workings out of the 205 instruments and attach them to the needles of the 206 instruments? Bit of a bodge but probably easiest

Hilgie

Matt try to get an instrument cluster out of a pre 2000 206 GTi. Those aren't multiplexed yet. But yours is definately (dated '03)

jochem

Here is a diagram for a 206 two plug instrument panel: instrumentpanel.pdf.

I have a 306 late model instrument panel in my 205. It was quite an effort to get it all working (still need to fix some dials..).

Good luck, jochem.

M@tt

thats brilliant thanks very much

i'm heading to the scrappy tomorrow to see if i can trade my multiplexed one for a non mulitplexed one, whats the betting the bastards wont!!

Paintguy

I don't see your problem Matt.

As usual, you'll just slip it down your trousers and sneak out with it anyway!!! B)

M@tt

no pants smuggling required :)

they did a straight swap :o even managed to get a new dash clock bit as well for free as the new clock is smaller than the old one, winner!!

the pre multiplexed one also has and extra temp guage for the oil which is good :)

HPIM0955Medium.jpg

Paintguy

Oh joy...

More wires! :)

Nice deal you got yourself though mate. They've always been pretty good down there, but you seem to drop lucky every time you go. Perhaps one of them fancies you :)

Sign in to follow this