• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest wessie

Thank You & A Brake Question

Guest wessie

Just a quick thanks to various unnamed contributors whose previous posts I searched and whose combined advice made my partial front suspension and brake rebuild go more smoothly than I ever imagined it could. For example, whoever suggested using a sump plug spanner to spread the hub-carrier to strut joint - pure gold :)

I re-used the front struts, but with new bearings and Grp N rubbers, and replaced the nearside lower arm with a GSF cheapo special (1 day on the bushes and counting...) to match the offside one replaced for the last MOT.

I got all the metal strut parts including the springs sand blasted and then repainted them before re-assembly, so the strut assemblies look like new again.

The standard calipers were cleaned up and the pistons worked in and out a few times to check for freeness etc and then reassembled with new flexi-hoses and brakes lines from the master cylinder (no chance of undoing the old flexi to copper pipe unions).

I then bled the system through with the trusty eazibleed (I know some people here hate them, but personally I have only had good experiences using it on a variety of cars), and went for a test run. The steering feels 10X more "alive" and the effort required (non-pas) has reduced significantly, although I still need to get the tracking checked.

My question is (yes there really is one in here somewhere :D ), I still have the slight pull to the left under harder braking that was present before I carried out the work, and which I hoped to solve through either the lower arm replacement or if I found a problem with the offside caliper. In fairness, the offside caliper piston did take fractionally more effort to move in and out than the nearside, but not so much as I would have thought would make the car pull under braking. No obvious contamination on the nearside pads either.

Suggestions??

jonD6B

It's normally a sign of a semi seized caliper or suspension wear. Has the car got a diagonally split brake set up or front to rear?

Guest smokinslim

Have you checked you rear brakes recently?

Guest wessie
It's normally a sign of a semi seized caliper or suspension wear. Has the car got a diagonally split brake set up or front to rear?

Sorry, it would help wouldn't it ;) 1.9, so diagonally split. Thanks.

Have you checked you rear brakes recently?

They bled through ok and the rear disks are clean and shiny both sides, so I took it from that that they were working ok - I've not actually had them apart recently though.

Additional thought, the nearside compensator had a small weep, but I got an extra half a turn on the union prior to bleeding the brakes through and it seems to have stopped leaking now.

Thanks.

C_W

I had this problem and it turned out to be a compensator problem; it was diving to the left at high speed.

Like you, I concentrated on the front brakes and suspension as it felt like thats what was causing it. The rear calipers weren't replaced all that long ago and the discs were "clean".

I initially though the right rear compensator was blocked as it wasn't working as hard as the left. But it was actually the left hand compensator that was at fault and somehow letting too much pressure through. Once I'd replaced the compensator on the left it seemed fine.

As they're not cheap I'd swap the compensators over and see what happens (ie if it starts to pull to the right instead of left it will be one of the compensators at fault).

Edited by C_W

jonD6B

I would aim towards a compensator also. Did you drive the car for a while after the initial bleeding and then rebleed to remove any air locks that may have moved themselves forward that may not have come out with the initial bleed? (If that makes any sense at all).

Guest wessie
I initially though the right rear compensator was blocked as it wasn't working as hard as the left. But it was actually the left hand compensator that was at fault and somehow letting too much pressure through. Once I'd replaced the compensator on the left it seemed fine.

As they're not cheap I'd swap the compensators over and see what happens (ie if it starts to pull to the right instead of left it will be one of the compensators at fault).

Thanks, that sounds like its worth a try, as you say cheap to try.

Except...unfortunately when I bled the rear brakes one of the nipples must have weakened when loosening them, 'cos the little bugger snapped off when I tightened it up again :(

So unless I can get the remains out (not holding my breath) I'll need a new caliper next time I let air into the system....

Guest wessie
I would aim towards a compensator also. Did you drive the car for a while after the initial bleeding and then rebleed to remove any air locks that may have moved themselves forward that may not have come out with the initial bleed? (If that makes any sense at all).

Makes perfect sense, thanks. No haven't re-bled (see above).

Having just got the car back together and usable (the pull isn't that bad) and knowing how one job leads to another on any old car, I think I'll leave it well alone until after 11th (Oulton Park) and then have another go at sorting it then (plus whatever else drops off on the 11th :( )

Thanks very much.

C_W

I'll prob see you at Oulton if its the Easytrack day!

Guest wessie
I'll prob see you at Oulton if its the Easytrack day!

It is the Easytrack one - I'll be easy to spot 'cos I'll be the one going sideways into Hizzy's chicane whilst fighting the pull to the left and desperately trying to get the speed off... :)

Actually getting speed off isn't much of an issue because I'm sure my standard 1.9 is well down on power from what it should have originally had.

Come and say Hi - H792 CRT

Cheers, Mark

C_W
It is the Easytrack one - I'll be easy to spot 'cos I'll be the one going sideways into Hizzy's chicane whilst fighting the pull to the left and desperately trying to get the speed off... :)

Actually getting speed off isn't much of an issue because I'm sure my standard 1.9 is well down on power from what it should have originally had.

Come and say Hi - H792 CRT

Cheers, Mark

I know the feeling! Believe it or not I put it with the pulling to the left for about 18months (i was convinced it was a front caliper or suspension problem) and it became natural to dial slight right hand lock as I braked :(

Sign in to follow this