• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest WillN

A Few 205 Conversion Questions....

Guest WillN

Hi. I just have a few questions about modifying a 1.9GTI.

I've had a couple of GTIs in the past and bought an MI16 engine a few years ago with the idea of doing a conversion. Never got round to it but have recently bought another to finally make use of the engine. The problems with the engine I've got is it'll need some recon work and is missing the loom and ecu. Found out today that a mate of mine is selling his 306 Rallye cheap as the heater matrix has gone and the exhaust is blowing.

Anyway, it got me thinking about buying it - cannibalizing it for use in the 205 and flogging it off cheaply afterwards rather than sourcing parts for the MI16. Before buying it I just wanted to get some opinions on the following:

1) Does anyone know the weight difference between the GTI-6 and alloy-block 1905cc MI16 engine - as am trying to keep the handling of the 205

2) Will there be any probs putting the engine and brakes and master cylinder of the 1.9 back on the 306 - so I can sell it cheaply but as a working car.

3) I was also thinking of swapping the axles. I had a 309GTI axle on an old 205 which was good but is the 306 one as wide or wider? And again, would there be any probs putting the 1.9 axle on the rallye (i.e. being too narrow).

4) Does anyone know how much more the 306GTI-6 box weighs over the standard 205 version - I know I'll lose some steering lock.

Also finally, is anything else that could be used from the 306 to upgrade the 205 dynamically? I want to keep the look of the 205 completely standard...

Thanks for any help with this

Will

bren_1.3

ok here goes.

1. try asking maxi that one, he has a gti-6 engine in his 205 IIRC, but if the gti-6 engine is all alloy then it might be worth dropping in over the mi16. looking on the web or googling should reveal the answers.

2. the brakes and discs are interchangeable as far as i know, but the master cylinders might well not be interchangeable. have a search on the forum, but its something i dont recall as anyone ever considering as an upgrage.

equally it might be a bit of a pain putting the 1.9gti engine into a 306, thats something you'd be pioneering yourself.

3. the 306 beam will not go onto the 205, well not without major modification. neither will the 205/309 beam go on the 306

4. i wouldnt know, but at a guess i wouldnt say that much more, certainly nothing to worry about in terms of handling!

5. ermmm maybe the leather seats IIRC.

best thing to do its to take the engine and box off the 306, drop them in the 205, put the 306 brakes on and sell the 306 shell and 1.9 engine. saves messing around.

HTH

jonah

Think the 306 was introduced after catalysts became mandatory... so will be subject to the stricter emissions regs. The 1.9 GTI engine won't meet them (unless you've got a very late catalyst equipped model).

Maerten

Also, i understand you want to sell the 306 as a cheap working car, with secondhand 1.9 GTI running gear, which is ok as long as the buyer knows offcourse. But it still says 306 rallye for the insurance, so it will never be a cheap run around for the new buyer, with obsolete and old running gear. I wonder who'd buy that? Just try to sell it all in parts i'd say.

Guest WillN

Yeah, I think you're prob right - will save a lot of hassle as well.

Is there any disadvantages in fitting the GTI-6 engine over the MI16?

Batfink

the gti-6 box is about 40 to 45kg so about 10kg heavier

jim205GTI

i believe the engine is an iron block aswell not alloy............................. but don't quote me on that ;)

Sign in to follow this