• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest btwstripe

Not Strictly Pug Based....

Guest btwstripe

here`s one for you, i`ve just purchased lotus exige throttle bodies for my metro vvc, i can run it off the standard MEMS unit ecu, but obviously more effective when the ecu is upgraded, i`m doing a lot of reading on ecu`s at the mo and just wondered if anyone on here can shed any light on systems they have had success with, whether be it be on an mi or whatever

Jonmurgie

Just to clarify, are you asking for which aftermarket ECU's people have had working on their cars etc.? If so then they all work and it usually comes down to price, preference and who you know to map it... from what I can work out the following are quite popular on this forum:

Emerald

KMS (great value for money!)

Megasquirt

DrSeuss

I'd like to add omex and dta to that list. The main issue is finding a mapper asking them specifically which ecu they prefer to map.

Cost effectiveness is part of the story. And if your prepared to learn you simply won't beat megasquirt for cost.

Jonmurgie

Doh, I knew I'd missed another main one... Omex B) Also found out last week that Omex are based in Cheltenham! Never new that!

Oh, there is of course the 'daddy' of ECU's and that's MoTeC... but it's usually far too expensive for most folk to consider :)

petert

Haltech and Autronic

Sandy

Emerald will plug straight into your existing loom as far as i'm aware.

Adam B

Guess its time for you to delve into all the information about them! :)

The KMS stuff seems to be pretty cheap, looking at the site and from what i've read.

Might be time to speak to Mattsav! (although of course other companies will happily supply you with all your aftermarket ecu needs). Omex are supposed to be very good too.

iirc you can get plug and play looms for most cars from most of the ecu companies for not much more..

Good Luck! ;)

Dom9

Emerald tends to be the ECU of choice for the Rover K series engine... The Emerald is pretty much designed around that engine as it is K series engines that Dave and Karl do most of their work on. I believe it is the only 3rd party ECU that will DIRECTLY plug and play into a VVC loom as standard... They will also, probably, have the best selection of off the shelf maps, before you get your car set up.

It might not be THE cheapest option upfront, but you would probably save on a loom and sensors etc, so it may in fact work out the cheapest once you have added the cost of extras into the other packages...

I, and a couple of others on here, are members of the SELOC Lotus forums... Register there and look in the technical section as they have tons of threads on Emeralds and VVC engines.

Sign in to follow this