• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jshep205gti

Ignition Lead Coming Off Dizzy Cap

jshep205gti

The last 2 mornings when I've started my car it was missfiring. I open the bonnet to find that one of the ignition leads at the dizzy cap end had come off! I plugged it back in and its all good. Why isn't it a good fit? The others are fine! Is there a reason for it doing this? Or is it simple not a snug fit? Shall I tape it on to secure it?

This morning I opened the bonnet and checked it was on before starting, it was. I start the car and its missfiring... the lead had come off, but you can plug it back in and it stays after you start it a second time.

Any got a clue?

All help appriciated!

Shep

hengti

should be a snug fit - maybe the rubber has perished

just replace the cap&leads!

ini

Hi, i take it that your dizzy cap is a male 'post' type.

Most HT leads just have a copper crimp fitting, if you give it a bit of a squeeze with a pair of pliers whilst looking down the end of the lead to ensure that it is still round you can tighten up the fit.

The rubber sleeve should be pushed onto the dizzy cap hard enough that it doesnt shake loose.

jonD6B

Give the inside of the rubber and the cap where it sits a wipe with some degreasant. Sometimes especially if you've sprayed them with WD40 over the winter they can get an oily residue inside them and once it's pulled off you just keep making it worse by taking it on and off. Also as said earlier, crimp the end very slightly. B)

jshep205gti

Sorry, forgot to mention, I've just put the engine in. New plugs/leads/dizzy cap etc....

I think I'll squeeze the copper slightly and see it if fits abit more snug.

Cheers!!!

Sign in to follow this