• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
littlemike

405 Sri Engine

littlemike

As title. I've just bought a 1.6 gti with a knackered head gasket that I'm planning on mi'ing or gti6'ing, but I have a 405 sri engine tacked away in my garage -and it's got the later map sensor management.

I've done a few searches and found out that it's 125bhp as it is and that some people think that the head should flow well.

Is it possible to fit a 1.9gti camshaft to this engine and what gains if any should I expect?

Thanks.

littlemike

Well the 1.6 engine along with the loom and ecu are now sat on my garage floor.

Do I drag the 405sri engine out from under the bench and fit that or do I await an mi16? B)

Edited by littlemike

fiji bob

i dont know any figures for the engine but i do remember someone saying torque peaks alot lower than the gti engine so it would feel like it has a bit more grunt at low revs than a gti engine

Dom9

Bung the old 1.6 or a 1.9 cam in as it should be a little more pokey than the standard SRi cam...

I love that head, but just check that the bonet clears the inlet manifold...

If the engine is spare and you haven't got an Mi yet, you have nothing to lose by dropping it in and it will be more powerful and more torquey than a 1.6...

tom_m

remember if its the later management it won't adjust the fueling to suit the new cam without a remap tho

pug_ham
remember if its the later management it won't adjust the fueling to suit the new cam without a remap tho
All 1.6 GTi's are on Jetronic so all you'd need to do really is fit a 1.9 GTi AFM & ecu. Even then the fueling might still be out due to the head design difference (& valve sizes iirc).

Also make sure the injectors are yellow on the SRi engine.

Graham.

tom_m
All 1.6 GTi's are on Jetronic so all you'd need to do really is fit a 1.9 GTi AFM & ecu. Even then the fueling might still be out due to the head design difference (& valve sizes iirc).

Also make sure the injectors are yellow on the SRi engine.

Graham.

sorry i was referring to the sri engine Graham, he states its running a map sensor, i assumed he'd be transplanting it too, your way sounds easier tho! :D

littlemike

Yes I'm transplanting the ecu too, I've made the link loom up tonight which is near enough the same as one for an mi16.

I've got dead 1.6 and 1.9 engines so could use either of those cams, but not if I'll need a remap.

As for the bonnet I haven't tried shutting it yet, but it doesn't look like it takes up any more room than a gti engine. You've got me worried now though :o

Edited by littlemike

littlemike

Just been and had a quick look and the manifold looked quite high so I had to try the bonnet to see if it would close! The gearbox isn't mounted yet, but the engine's on the other two mounts and is supported underneath nice and level. Anyway, luckily it closes! I would've felt like a right tool if it hadn't. :)

migti

hi just a quick q on these sri engines

do they use a dizzy setup like 1.6/1.9 gti??

just for a carb conversion idea

cheers!

jackherer
hi just a quick q on these sri engines

do they use a dizzy setup like 1.6/1.9 gti??

just for a carb conversion idea

cheers!

the early jetronic ones do have a dizzy, but the later motronic ones do without both the dizzy and the afm.

littlemike

This engine uses a map sensor and a coil pack -no dizzy or airflow meter.

It's a bit tame after driving my 205mi16, I wish I had a normal 1.9gti to compare it to.

Sign in to follow this