• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Mad Professor

Custom Ht Leads

Mad Professor

Hi All.

Over the next week or two I will be changing over from dizzy to EDIS.

And I would like to know where I can get a Set of HT Leads made up.

Wiggs has already told about about.

http://www.magnecor.co.uk

Also what sort of HT lead should I use with the TT?

Thanks for your time.

Jonmurgie

Just speak direct to Magnecor, great company and very helpful so they should be able to sort you out with the right spec for yout TT application...

Mad Professor

What sort of cost am I looking at? as I am looking to spend upto around £50.00 on new leads.

Jonmurgie

I would estimate a custom set of Magnecor's for your TT would be a fair bit more than £50, probably nearer £80... but they will be great :o

Mad Professor

I will give them a ring on Monday.

Ahl

Hey, I was thinking about this recently. HT leads are very simple really, could make them yourself.

Does anyone know a place where a reel of cable and the connectors could be bought?

Rippthrough
Hey, I was thinking about this recently. HT leads are very simple really, could make them yourself.

Does anyone know a place where a reel of cable and the connectors could be bought?

Don't forget noise supression and the moulded ends though....

Ahl

The moulded ends don't really matter, apart from an mi16 say, where you'd have to get long connectors.

The ends are simply crimped on, nothing you couldn't do yourself.

Garages used to make up your HT leads before they were selling them all in packs.

Rippthrough
The moulded ends don't really matter, apart from an mi16 say, where you'd have to get long connectors.

Garages used to make up your HT leads before they were selling them all in packs.

Yeah but you didn't have quite so many sensitive electronics around then.

Ahl

Yeah but the things are still crimped on as they have always been. Believe me, its easy.

Rippthrough
Yeah but the things are still crimped on as they have always been. Believe me, its easy.

Probably, just try and get some sheilding in there thats all.

Ahl

Christ on a bike,

there is NO shielding. only in the HT cables themselves. Shutup will you!

Rippthrough
Christ on a bike,

there is NO shielding. only in the HT cables themselves. Shutup will you!

That's what I was on about!

EDIT: Case of crossed wires.......I'll get my coat.

Edited by Rippthrough

pug_ham

What exactly do you need?

What thermostat housing are you using? If your using one from a coilpack equipped XU engine with the coilpack mounted to it, the leads from a 205 1994 Automatic are exactly what you need & there is no reason to buy a custon set of leads.

Graham.

Super Josh

As Graham says, any Motronnic 3.1/3.2 based XU should do. Ciroen ZX 1.9, even a 2.0 T equiped car would have the right leads.

Josh

Jonmurgie

Blimey, bit of a mini-argument gong on there!! At the end of the day I wouldn't risk 'home made' leads as you know what happens then you get a dodgy lead etc. For the sake of £50-£80 I'd have thought it was worth knowing you had excellent leads, especially in a TT application.

Mad Professor

I am using ford EDIS Coil Packs.

EDIS%20Coil%20Pack(2).jpg

Ford%20HT%20Lead%20Plug.jpg

Is this the same as the other coil packs use?

pug_ham
As Graham says, any Motronnic 3.1/3.2 based XU should do. Ciroen ZX 1.9, even a 2.0 T equiped car would have the right leads.
Not all Motronic cars have the exact right leads, depends if you want them withthe sleeve that sits inteh top of the recess on the head, any XU10 car won't have these, just a straight one. :D

The ends for that coilpack look different to the ones on the Pug coilpack I have so they won't match up afaik.

Custom leads might have to be made but can't a set of Ford leads be used?

Graham.

rich_w

Halfords do some single HT leads, I couldn't tell you if they have the right connection for the ford coil pack.

16v205

Hi,

I know www.vehicle-wiring-products.co.uk sell the HT ends and crimpers for making your own HT wires, im sure they will have the correct wire for making them yourself if you rang them.

As for picking the HT leads, have you got a halfords near by? The best bet is spend an afternoon on halfords floor. I went through all there ht leads trying to find a set that would fit my mi16 with a xu10 coil pack. Corsa 16v leads fit fine with the coil pack mounted to the head.

Good luck anyway

Rich

pdd144c

I used the ford ones on mine. Just swapped the rubber ends over that cover the plug holes. Will only work if you mount it where the dissy was or there wont be enough length though...

Paul.

Guest ashnicholls

was just about to say my dad said he used to make his own up, on his modified mini, back in the olden days

Rippthrough
was just about to say my dad said he used to make his own up, on his modified mini, back in the olden days

So did I, but I stopped when they started putting a load of sensetive electronics 4 inches away. Not sure how much interference there would be but I don't bother anymore. Cheaper to buy 'em anyway now.

Sign in to follow this