• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Pug2112

Wheres The Best Place To Get Recon'd Rear Beam

Guest Pug2112

The rear beam on my 1.6GTI is about to part from this world. I was wondering where's the best place to purchase a recon'd (or even new) beam. Is there a difference in price/quality/workmanship??

Also I'm in 2 minds to upgrade to a 1.9GTI beam. Ive been quoted £250-300 from 205parts.co.uk. (The difference in price was due to making 2 phone calls over a couple of weeks... I cant work it out either :P

Rob_the_Sparky

Try Anthony on here, think he has semi-retired from doing beams now but he has done shed loads of them so if nothing else will be able to offer good advice.

iety2004

LOL i thought u wrote semi-retarded, i had to read it twice.

the cost of doing it urself is around the 200 mark isn't? for parts and paint etc?

Guest Pug2112
LOL i thought u wrote semi-retarded, i had to read it twice.

the cost of doing it urself is around the 200 mark isn't? for parts and paint etc?

Is there a guide on how to recon a beam? Its just that my mechanical skills are level 'gimp'...

cybernck

funny you ask that... there is, take a look at our website.

DaveW

thats where Anthony does his beams from now is 205 parts as he lost his storage space.

Guest Pug2112
thats where Anthony does his beams from now is 205 parts as he lost his storage space.

So can I buy from Anthony direct or do I go through 205parts?? Also, how would i contact Anthony??

GoodwoodNSM
So can I buy from Anthony direct or do I go through 205parts?? Also, how would i contact Anthony??

PM him or wait for him to see this thread.

His forum name is Anthony.

Edited by GoodwoodNSM

Foltan

he'll pop up eventually! :rolleyes:

Miles

If you've looked at the recon beam info on the main site, The price of Reconing one is difficult without first seeing it,

If your lucky a set of bearings and seals would do (£50.00) or worst case New Beam Tube and trailing arm shafts costing well over £300.00

Also if upgrading to the 1.9 beam the Calipers and disc's add a few quid onto the bill too,

veloce200
If you've looked at the recon beam info on the main site, The price of Reconing one is difficult without first seeing it,

If your lucky a set of bearings and seals would do (£50.00) or worst case New Beam Tube and trailing arm shafts costing well over £300.00

Also if upgrading to the 1.9 beam the Calipers and disc's add a few quid onto the bill too,

On one of the threads about beams someone put a link to a company that supply a recon one for £285 - they line bore the cross tube and add a sleeve. if you need a new cross tube and shafts they are £380 + VAT from Peugeot - £446! I'm doing one at the moment and the tube is very very slightly pitted on one side - based on cost of cross tube customer says he'drather take the risk. I think best advice I could give would be to knock out each trailing arm to see whether they are damaged (mark the TB's first!) and then make your decision. If they are stuffed try and find that company as £285 for a built beam needing tube and shafts is a good price.

Anthony

As said by most above, I do indeed recondition the odd beam for people on here and also go upto Kibworth and do beam work (lowering, recons etc) for 205 Parts.

Since you're in Leicester the obvious place to get the beam done is 205Parts since they're almost on your doorstep, and they'll be able to arrange for the old beam to be removed and the new one fitted at their unit in Kibworth if you require that.

I'll be quite honest in that I'm not in a position where I can recon you a beam personally at the moment as I've got a few people's to do already and an engine to build for a friend of mine and thus just don't have the time.

LOL i thought u wrote semi-retarded

Well, there's probably some truth in that as well :blink:

As Miles says, it really depends on what's wrong with it - obviously the less that's wrong the less it costs to recondition, which is why I tell people that they really should look into getting it done whilst everything still appears to be good - by the time they show symptoms to dying then it's normally pretty expensive, and sometimes to the point of not being economically worthwhile, to fix them.

Trailing arm shafts are about £60 a piece from Peugeot (plus getting them pressed in) and bare beamtubes are about £250 (although I'm wondering if that's gone up, as speaking to Rich yesterday he was saying how he'd been quoted £450 for a new bare 309 tube!). Generally if a tube needs replacing, you're much better off sourcing a good base-model tube from the scrappy for £30 or so.

Guest Pug2112

Thanks for the advice - i'll probably purchase a beam off 205parts and get it fixed from my mechanic.

rooster

205parts did my rear beam and it cost £320 all in and fitted and they were great, and my car drives very well now :wub:

only down side my avg speed has increased due to the better ride and im using more petrol :ph34r::wub::wub:

laser green 1.9

When people talk about the tubes being pitted what do they mean? My car has a bit of camber on the near side, I guess that is eather a bearing of the stub axle. What checks can I do, does the beam need to be off first?

madmat

The inner tube knocks through the bearings into the larger outer tube then if left will keep going!If yours has just killed the bearing you may get away with just new inner tube and new bearings and seals.One way to test it is jack up the car,remove the wheel and shocker,then grab hold of your hub and try lifting it,you may feel some play(bear in mind it will move up and down but it should be a smooth movement) this is how i found mine but they arent all the same.Have a look at the article on the main site,matt.

Sign in to follow this