• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Bonzai

Fitting An S16 Inlet Manifold

Bonzai

okay quick search showed that this topic hasnt been covered previously. Im totally new to DIY on an Mi16, its all new to me at the moment. Ive got to rebuild it first unfortunately but im aiming for mid march. James stumbled upon this S16 inlet in a scrappie which we picked up for a reasonable price and hoping to make use of it when we fit the engine

here is my Mi with an S16 inlet manifold hanging off it

image1620oh.th.jpg

the problem is this thing gets in the way and makes contact with one of the vacuum diaphragms for the butterlies in the manifold. I also had to remove the dipstick as that got in the way too.

image1639lk.th.jpg

I removed the water distributing thing from the side of the head to fit it anyway

image1645ky.th.jpgimage1655gd.th.jpgimage1664gk.th.jpg

So it all looks good now, but i'll obviously have a problem when i come back to rebuild it. any suggestions on how to get around these issues? I must remember to measure it up aswell to make sure i have enough clearance between the head and the radiator

Cheers, Ben

James_R

I'll measure the head mating face to rad distance for you on tomorrow night when I see mine. Give you an idea of space.

PsychoSimon

sorry to hijack a bit but what gains do you expet to see from this? are there any?

Regards,

Simon

Revla

image1639lk.th.jpg

Hi there, I think you want an S16 or 2.0 Mi16 thermostat housing, as they have that

outlet on the side.....

I have just removed mine to replace with a normal 1.9 Mi jobbie if you require for

a resonable price!:blink:

Cheers

Trev

Bonzai

Simon - I'm pretty sure the advantages of the S16 manifold is improved torque at Low and Mid range

Trev - Thanks for the offer, im gonna see what i can either do to modify this one (perhaps grind it down enough for clearance) or find anotehr to replace it with as i have a spare and james also has a couple.

Im still not sure about the dipstick. i wonder if i could use one from an 8v which goes through the back of the block....

PsychoSimon

nice one cheers mate. will read your progress with much anticipation

Bonzai

no worries. hopefully it will all go to plan and i'll get it built before march, stick it in and running during march and then have it rolling roaded back to back with james's Mi16 which uses standard inlet

DrSeuss

you need the s16 management to take advantage of it. There is plenty of clearance in the 205 but you'll need to cut a chunk out of the slam panel so the plastic runners fit. Due to the shape you have more clearance then with a 1.9 inlet manifold.

Its really not worth it tbh.

Bonzai

i'll be using emerald

Miles

Don't bother, the inlet is a waste of time. I found that on a old 405 I had it was no better than the old 1.9 engine, But when I added the older Mi inlet it gave a better power delivery, But the best option is fitting a GTi6 Inlet if your going down that route, As you really need the extra vacume pump to drive the vacume operated flaps on the S16 thing

James_R

do you have any back to back RR's at all for this Miles? Thought about using a servo system to control the inlet flaps, if it's that badder idea then can pilfer the injectors off it.

Bonzai

so a standard 1.9 mi inlet with VAG t/b then (i havent got an Mi one) ?

unless we happen across a GTI6 inlet in the meantime... unlikely.....!

DrSeuss

There are always gti6 inlets going over on the 306gti6.com forums

A mate has one at the moment actually. Its worth asking. You've gone to the expense of buying an emerald, please buy some bike tb's. Otherwise its just pissing a nigh on 300 quid mapping session up the wall for no major gains.

Bonzai

it was always in my plans to get cammed up and use normal t/b's in the future provided i take to the 16v way of life. otherwise im definately selling up.

im using emerald for a couple of reasons,

1. i dont have an Mi loom and ecu,

2. one has become available from friend of james,

3. i want, or rather must have near perfect running for me to stay happy with the 205. its pi$$ed me off far too much lately

cheers for the tip, i will look into the GTI6 inlets edit: p.s. what is the going rate on these inlets s/h? pm me if you want. ta

Ben

Edited by Bonzai

Revla
Simon - I'm pretty sure the advantages of the S16 manifold is improved torque at Low and Mid range

Trev - Thanks for the offer, im gonna see what i can either do to modify this one (perhaps grind it down enough for clearance) or find anotehr to replace it with as i have a spare and james also has a couple.

Im still not sure about the dipstick. i wonder if i could use one from an 8v which goes through the back of the block....

The S16 one is round the back..... is there one available from that scrappy?

Mandic

Why is the GTi6 inlet so much better than Mi's?

Cheers

Ziga

Bonzai
The S16 one is round the back..... is there one available from that scrappy?

i've got a spare 8v one anyway <_<

Hilgie

It has individual air trumpets integrated inside (!) the plenum.

Mandic

aha, thanks

So are these trumpets like TB stle trumpets, with radius, cos Mi inlet has also those extensions of the runners.

Cheers

Ziga

DrSeuss

Yes they are full radiused. The other advantage is the gti6 had a slightly larger area throttle body. Which is round (more ideal for a turbo conversion).

Sign in to follow this