• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
adam_young

Whats Up With My Car?

adam_young

Have decided to start a new thread for my cars problems in the hope that they might be connected. Here goes...

Car wont rev past 6300 - The rev counter just buzzes around at that point so you change up.

Idle is all over the place.

Sometimes get a small back fire when changing down to second for junctions.

Car is very jerky to drive at low revs. When cruising you have to use a lower gear than you want (below 2500 it defo has a mis fire).

The entire car shakes and vibrates at idle. Looking in the bay the engine is also shaking.

Smell of fumes in and around the car.

If you stand within 6 foot of the back of the car you can feel the exhaust gases spluttering out at you.

Dont know if this is connected, but when I started it up the other day (first time in a week) blue smoke came out for a good 30 seconds or so (The engine has only done about 1000 miles since a rebuild).

Again dont know if this is related, but my brakes seem inconsistant - suspect servo issue which might tie is with the above??? However this could be a red herring as the inside of the OSF brake disc has surface rust, but the other discs are ok...

I know this might not be an easy one to solve so thanks in advance for your help guys.

Jim miami blue gti

airflow meter?

j_turnell

Sounds like a fueling issue, check your ecu temp sensor wires, and also the wires to the afm connector, maybe worth buying a new ecu temp sensor. The blue smoke prob caused by the overfueling, maybe worth changing your oil and keeping an eye on the oil level.

Simmy

it does sound somewhat like overfuelling.... what do the spark plugs look like? (sooty plugs = overfuelling, just incase u were unsure)

hmmm.... just a thought, you say the engine was completely rebuilt recently... has the engine behaving like this since 0 miles?? if so it may be worth checking the cam positioning and timing belt, being one tooth out on the sprocket would cause rough running and would limit the engine's ability to rev. slightly off-topic but my old mini had a cam with worn lobes (pushrod system) and the engine seemed down on power, but also could only physically rev to a certain point, far below normal max revs.

I'd say if it were the rev limiter kicking in at 6300, are you feeling the car accelerate quickly through the rev range and then suddenly stop accelerating at 6300? If not then it may not be the limiter but a fault physically limiting the engines ability to rev. Shaking at idle with an inconsistent idle to me would just indicate the engine struggling to run, which could be various things! overfuelling or incorrectly fitting timing belt included. Smell of fumes to me either means overfuelling, hole in exhaust, or leaking fuel lines (depending on the smell of fumes)

I think it really is just a case of working your way through all the possibilities. check spark plugs, check timing belt, test using known working ECU etc...

If you can answer the questions above it may help others help you to diagnose the problem, so....

Is the engine limiting @ 6300rpm, a sudden loss of power @6300rpm or does the engine just seem to run out of steam there?

What do the spark plugs look like?

Have you had these problems since day one of the installation?

Edited by Simmy

ashley peddle

my idol was all ove the place on my 8v... anthony kindly replaced the temp sensor for me and it improved the problem a considerable amount :(

adam_young

The engine ran sweet as a but initially. After approx 800miles the gearbox diff went so it was off the road for about 2 months. Upon getting the car back it wasn't running right. Dont see how fitting a new gearbox could affect that though! Unless sitting around for a couple of months something perished or something got knocked.

I will check the spark plugs on the weekend in the daylight.

Simmy
The engine ran sweet as a but initially. After approx 800miles the gearbox diff went so it was off the road for about 2 months. Upon getting the car back it wasn't running right. Dont see how fitting a new gearbox could affect that though! Unless sitting around for a couple of months something perished or something got knocked.

Hmmm, does sound like something could well have happened whilst changing the gearbox, it would be unlucky/unlikely for an unrelated issue to occur out of coincidence at the same time as the gearbox swap. Think that's your job for the weekend, look for any dangling wires check piping etc isn't split. :) I'm not sure where the temp sensor is :( (radiator perhaps?) but check to see if you have, for example, put the wrong connection onto it confusing the ECU (if this is possible?)

What's the situation with the rev being limited to 6300? (see my last post)

maxi

Who changed the box?? You need to interegate them as to what exactly they did... Its the age old problems for any garage when they do a job to a car and then the owner complains of something else going wrong. This situation however is different, seems stongly to me that something was by accident crimped, damadged, knocked and it has resulted in these issues.

Maxi

adam_young

All the air hoses seem fine. I have pulled them off where possible and examined them.

I dont know where the ECU temp sensor is. Can someone enlighten me please? I'd imagine its in the cooling system somewhere?...

You know what would really help - if I took a few decent pics of my engine bay and then someone could perhaps label the pics so I know whats what. :blink:

I dont mind admitting I dont know much about my engine bay as I didn't do the work. Wont find out unless I get stuck in though will I. :P

maxi
All the air hoses seem fine. I have pulled them off where possible and examined them.

I dont know where the ECU temp sensor is. Can someone enlighten me please? I'd imagine its in the cooling system somewhere?...

You know what would really help - if I took a few decent pics of my engine bay and then someone could perhaps label the pics so I know whats what. :blink:

I dont mind admitting I dont know much about my engine bay as I didn't do the work. Wont find out unless I get stuck in though will I. :P

ECU temp sensor is in the water housing just under the dizzy cap on the side of the head. It has a blue 2 pin plug that goes to it......

Do yourself a favour and get outside with the camera!

Maxi

Sign in to follow this