• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
fulani

Phase 1.5 Ice And Wiring

fulani

Right.

Spent this weekend hacking wires off and splicing them for the sub, but I need to replace the stock speakers as well.

What are the sizes for stock speakers? For the front mainly, I'm getting a stealth shelf for the rear and putting some nice speakers in it. Is it worth ripping the old ones out to save weight?

Oh, and for all the bodgers out there, I'm powering the sub with a feed from the (non-working) boot illumination lamp. Earthed by wedging it into that seam on the shell by the door. :(

I'll sort it all out once the stealth shelf arrives. Honest.

timmsy19

all speakers are 13cm or 5.25'' if you have some decent speakers in the stealth shelf then there will be no need fro the rears so just take them out and cuck them or you could try selling on ebay.

as for the front they are the same size but get rid of them aswel and get some 13cm coax if you can then you should be able to hide them aswel. the fronts will sound really out if they are not changes as like mine does

fulani

Cheers, anyone know the depth of the speaker though?

I have a pair of 13cm ones I bought for my GR a couple of years ago, but they were far too deep for the doors. Anyone happen to know the maximum depth?

timmsy19

i had a go with the samw question few weeks ago heres a link

mounting depth

fulani
i had a go with the samw question few weeks ago heres a link

mounting depth

Cheers for the link, but it appears no-one knows in that thread either. :(

timmsy19
Cheers for the link, but it appears no-one knows in that thread either. :blink:

nope. im still tryin to find out

fulani

s'cool. My stealth shelf arrived today, looks pretty good for £30 delivered. Homemade job, cordurouy carpet, but heavy enough.

Now to find some speakers to put in it. Two 6x9s and a sub? Two high quality circular cones?

It's a shame the ones I currently have won't fit though, they're a bit too raised from their mounting points to fit under the carpet bit.

Cutting stealth shelves, ie mdf. Shall I rent a jigsaw and hack it up, or go to a proper place that'll do it for me and hand over the dollar?

(see, I know all the barry lingo already, just point me in the direction of some led lights for my washer jets and a 15 year old girl I can get pregnant.)

jeremy

Forgive me if I'm wrong here, but if you stealth shelf is to be covered in cordurouy then it will hardly look well stealth like will it!! Get some proper accoustic cloth as this will look near oe when finished, and well worth the few extra £££ if it stops the speakers from getting stolen.

As for mounting speaker to a stealth shelf I've always mounted mine from the underside, this is why you often get plastic spacer plates supplied with 6x9s etc so as to give the speaker rubber edge plenty of space for movement so as not to foul the cut out hole in the shelf.

Also a sub will help, assume you are mounting this as a free air application, but try and build boxes under the 6x9s, however from personal experience if you wanted a sub I would not have bothered with a stealth shelf and 6x9s and used this money for a sub in a box and some nice coaxials in the front.

As for cutting the holes go and get yourself a jigsaw as you can go and get a B&Q own brand for less than £20iirc and at least you get to keep it. They are easy enough to use even if you have no experience.

fulani

I've already got a sub, which I may or may not keep, depending on what the sound from the new speakers is like. I want good, loud music, not stupid bass for no reason.

Shelf looks pretty OE tbh, just not the *exact* same as the original shelf. It's not really to stop the speakers getting nicked (I'm not planning on spending loads on them anyway), but just so there's a decent soundboard for them to be mounted in, and it doesn't spoil the look of the car.

I will be using copious amounts of sound deadening material both in the boot and in the doors, but I reckon the 4x45w head unit should be loud enough for me without an amp.

Every time I think about this I get upset at the weight increase, and loss of engine sound etc, but then it is a daily driver, and I reckon when I finally can afford to insure a modified/track car it'll be cheaper to buy one ready stripped and caged than to do it myself. I want to keep this car looking standard as long as possible.

timmsy19

just remember all the extra weight leaves its mark on the petrol consumtion. ive noticed that ive been using a lot more petrol because of the extra weight.

fulani
just remember all the extra weight leaves its mark on the petrol consumtion. ive noticed that ive been using a lot more petrol because of the extra weight.

Dude, you have a 954cc engine. Just how much petrol can it use? :huh:

timmsy19
Dude, you have a 954cc engine. Just how much petrol can it use? :huh:

quite supprising how much. i was doin a 30 mile trip for 3days and spent almost £40 on petrol.

only got four gears so when im on the dual carrigeways it just burns

collateral

Can't stand 6x9s personally (find mids/highs comming from behind very annoying) so I would spend money on making the front stage sound better. 4 channel amp bridged to power the sub pumped into some nice comps upfront is the route I'd take.

Word is that Genesis make some nice 6x9 subs (yup, not a typo) which I intend on checking out when I have the cash...kinda defeats the object of a GTi, sticking an elephant of a sub in the boot.

Sign in to follow this