• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
adam_young

Rev Limiter Cutting In At 6300

adam_young

Is that right as it seems low? The car is still pulling hard at that point and it doesn't feel like a natural place to change up.

My engine, ECU and loom are from an F plate 405.

dj_masch_hr

it is low. try to borrow ECU, so you can see if it's ECU problem.

j_turnell

The general concensus is it should be between 6800-7300 but the rev counters are not very acurate atall, so its more than likely your rev counter or possibly your ignition amp on its way out.

Edited by j_turnell

maxi
The general concensus is it should be between 6800-7300 but the rev counters are not very acurate atall, so its more than likely your rev counter or possibly your ignition amp on its way out.

Definately rev counter I would say. Why would an ignition amp cause a low limiter???

Maxi

j_turnell

It would cause it to misfire badly which could seem like hitting the limiter..

adam_young

Well it does run like a dog so perhaps that confuses the ECU?

The rev counter seems accurate enough and registered exactly the rpm/speed that other people's 205's do.

maxi

Sounds like the car has got issues to me!! Normally you can easily distinguish between a rev limter (which in effect is basically a mis) and a misfire caused by part of the ignition system breaking down..............

Maxi

Anthony

A faulty ignition amp can feel identical to a rev limiter, although in my experience it's usually around 4000-4500rpm that it does it. Worth quickly trying another one to rule it out anyway, as they're easy to swap and identical to 8v GTi ones :P

adam_young

Will try another amp then. Am I right in thinking they are the same as the 8v bar the are inside a metal bit?

j_turnell

Yeh you should be fine using an 8v one.

maxi

Yeah 8v ones seem to work fine! Still think its quite easy to distinguish between the cut the limiter gives compared to that caused by a faulty ignition amp.....

Maxi

adam_young

To be fair it could just be me being a mong.

It may well not be the limiter, but being so high up the rev range I just jumped to that conclusion.

When a rev limiter kicks in doesn't it just cut the power? This is more like the rev counter gets stuck and bounces around at roughly 6300.

maxi
To be fair it could just be me being a mong.

It may well not be the limiter, but being so high up the rev range I just jumped to that conclusion.

When a rev limiter kicks in doesn't it just cut the power? This is more like the rev counter gets stuck and bounces around at roughly 6300.

An mi rev limiter feels like the revs are "bouncing", hence the phrase I use a lot of bouncing off the limiter... its not like a stable rev cut where it fails to rev any further and just hangs at a certain RPM, the revs will soar hit the cut/limiter, drop slightly (100-200RPM) then violently climb again and hit it hence a bouncing effect.

Change the module that has been suggested and then take it from there.

Maxi

jonah

Do you get any strange noises from the exhaust (pops / bangs) when you reach this rev limit?

If so it sounds very similar to the problem in this thread that I was helping to diagnose (that was on a 1.6 8v). Never got to the bottom of the problem on that one - valve problems have since been ruled out.

Not much help I know but would be interested to know what was causing it!

adam_young

Jonah - now you are just s*itting me up! The car has only done about 1200 miles since the engine was rebuilt.

Maybe I should start a new thread and list all the running faults I have as they might be connected...

maxi
Jonah - now you are just s*itting me up! The car has only done about 1200 miles since the engine was rebuilt.

Maybe I should start a new thread and list all the running faults I have as they might be connected...

Not a bad idea, they might give some more clues as to what is going on!

Maxi

Sign in to follow this