• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Carl Chambers

306 Rallye-205 Engine Conversion Problems/questions

Carl Chambers

Finally got my 306 rallye engine and 6 speed gearbox in my 205 but have a few questions?

There is hardly any steering lock to the right, I knew this may be a problem but didnt think it would be as bad as it is. I have fitted 20mm wheel spacers which has helped but now the brake caliper(306 rallye ones)hits the end of the gearbox! What else can I do to make it better, I have one full turn to the right at the moment. Is that the best its gonna get?

Second question is about oil coolers, does it matter how high these are compared to the sump? Wanted to put mine in where the battery used to be with lots of ducting to it. Will the pump still pump it that high and still keep a good pressure and will the oil run back to the sump once engine is stopped meaning a long delay in getting full pressure on start up?

Third question is does the 306 rallye/GTi-6 engine already have a baffled sump?

Any help would be great.

cheers

Edited by GKZ 206

Garry

You are pretty much stuck with the steering lock, you will need to put a blocker on the steering rack to stop the wheel/caliper hitting the box as you won't pass an MOT and its not a good idea!

Tbh you will get used to it, just needs a bit of planning at junctions or keep going left :)

With regards to your oil cooler question, are you fitting a sandwich plate between the sump and the oil filter? I have had a look on mine and I didn't think there was room due to the oil filter hitting the radiator with the plate in place, would be very intersted if you have a soloution as I am after an oil cooler too.

Carl Chambers
You are pretty much stuck with the steering lock, you will need to put a blocker on the steering rack to stop the wheel/caliper hitting the box as you won't pass an MOT and its not a good idea!

Tbh you will get used to it, just needs a bit of planning at junctions or keep going left :)

With regards to your oil cooler question, are you fitting a sandwich plate between the sump and the oil filter? I have had a look on mine and I didn't think there was room due to the oil filter hitting the radiator with the plate in place, would be very intersted if you have a soloution as I am after an oil cooler too.

The car is not going to be put on the road but was going to try to limit the lock to avoid tyre/gearbox damage. how have you done this on yours?

The oil cooler is going to be off a 1.9 Gti but due to lack of space I have found something off another 205 1.9 GTi H-reg which I have never seen before but thought it would come in handy.

Its a remote oil fitler! A housing bolts on where the oil filter should go then pipes go to another housing which bolts on the gearbox that the oil filter goes on. I was going to put the sandwich plate on there hence the oil cooler being on the battery tray cause the pipes wont reach anywhere else.

hope that makes sense :)

Garry

Tack weld on the steering rack :)

Butler

Fit the 205 5 speed box. Its stronger and restores the lock.

The 6 speed box doesn't really have any benefit.

Garry
The 6 speed box doesn't really have any benefit.

Apart from suiting the engine! :D

DrSeuss
Apart from suiting the engine! :D

Is that why they fitted 5 spd box's to the rallye and xsara vts? :D

damien

really? never seen a rallye with a 5 speed box.

are you shore?

Edited by damien

DrSeuss

it would appear i'm mistaken. I was under the impression only the 6 got the extra gear. Rallye is a bit of a joke really, 50kgs saving for complete loss of everything comfy. Considering most 306 drivers...

jim205GTI

are...........................? :D:D

Rippthrough
are...........................? :D:D

Maybe they're as bad as them damned 405 drivers.....

DrSeuss

Well, 306's have to lug around 1250kgs so 50kgs saving is hardly a major saving. The drivers stature will have a greater effect on handling then having no creature comforts.

Alan_M

I'm sure my GTi6 lump from an S-plate Xsara is 5 speed.

Miles

Yep only in the Pug's they had the 6 speed box, The cheaper Citroens used the 5 speed,

Garry
it would appear i'm mistaken. I was under the impression only the 6 got the extra gear. Rallye is a bit of a joke really, 50kgs saving for complete loss of everything comfy. Considering most 306 drivers...

:P

My brother has a xsara vts (which only come with 5 speed boxes), it is a nice box with better 0-60 due to the shorter 1st but, at 80+ the 6 speed is better due to the extra gear. The Xsara 5th and 306 6th are nigh on the same.

Edited by Garry

Carl Chambers

Well I love the 306 rallye and its 6 speed gearbox think it suits the engine perfectly, I love the 205 also so I thought join the 2 together and get a great car!!

Back to my questions,

I have had a word with a rally car builder about the oil cooler he said to do away with my idea and to remove the original engine water cooler thing around the oil filter and just have the 205 1.9 GTi plate and cooler cause the water one has no effect! I have now done this and it allows plenty of space for the oil filter between the rad and also means the oil cooler can stay in its original place infront of the rad.

I will be looking into putting a weld on my steering rack today so cheers for that idea.

Does anyone know about the 306 GTI-6/Rallye sump? is it baffled?

petert
Does anyone know about the 306 GTI-6/Rallye sump? is it baffled?

yes they're baffled, as are all the XU10 sumps from memory.

pugrallye

sixth gear is only the same as a xsaras fifth (okay ratios are prob slightly different on paper) so its not a case of an extra gear bolted on shaft to help with high speed cruising, its purely an acceleration thing, which in a lardy 306 you need

Edited by pugrallye

madmat
Maybe they're as bad as them damned 405 drivers.....

And whats wrong with 405 drivers? :P

Rippthrough
And whats wrong with 405 drivers? :P

Ask the rest of the buggers :P

Carl Chambers
yes they're baffled, as are all the XU10 sumps from memory.

well thats good news then, thats saved me some money :(

Sign in to follow this