• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
gti_al

Horn Wiring

gti_al

Has anyone tried to move the horn to their steering wheel? I got a momo pilota (i think it's called that) today, and it has these funky horn buttons on the rim of the wheel...

As i can never find the button when i am pissed off, i would ideally like to move the button to right under my fingers...

Is this going to be a severe pain in the butt? I haven't explored the wiring around there, but i can't imagine it being tidy/straightforward...

M@tt

shouldn't be too hard at all

on one of the stalk connector plugs you will have a wire number 24 that goes to the horn so all you have to do is connect that and a permanent live up to either side of your steering wheel horn button.

i believe wire number 23 is a permanent live which also goes into the same connector so you could splice off a wire from each of those to your horn button that way you also leave the original horn button functioning as well

Matt

Paintguy

Of course you need to remember that the steering wheel turns, so just connecting up wires may end up getting you in a tangle :)

Many cars with a wheel-mounted button have two metal slip rings on the back of the wheel, which line up with 2 contacts on the column, transfering the current whatever position it's in. Perhaps you could find an old wheel in the scrappies and rig up a similar arrangement.

gti_al
Many cars with a wheel-mounted button have two metal slip rings on the back of the wheel,

The wheel came with these metal rings. Do you have any idea what to attach to what though? And i was wondering how to get the wires through the boss to the dash as there doesn't seem to be any holes. (beware, i may be overlooking something extremely obvious!)

Thanks mate

Sign in to follow this