• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
bren_1.3

Which Bottom End?

bren_1.3

the inlet and exhaust valves on the following engines are .2 of a millimetre bigger than the TU24 valves.

TU2J2 TU5J2 TU5JP TU3JP

inlet exhaust

39.5mm 31.4mm

TU24

inlet exhaust

39.3mm 31.2mm

would a net gain of .8mm in inlet valve size be a noticable benefit????

EDIT

TU2J2 -106 rallye

TU5J2 - 106 1.6 XSi

TU5JP - 106 1.6i, 306 1.6i

TU3JP - 106 1.4i, 306 1.4i

engines types clicky

Edited by brens_1.9_wide_arch

crogthomas
would a net gain of .8mm in inlet valve size be a noticable benefit????

At a quick guess I would say you might gain 1% power, and the rest of the inlet port may flow worse anyway. So not much advantage, no.

Craig

Sam

Not much help to the topic but I'm aiming for 12:1 with my next build.

Rebuilt 16v bottom end (new oem pistons, new bearings/rings/seals, L/B Crank and Flywheel)

QEP ported head with worked combustion chambers/valves

280/280 catcam with 11mm lift

Magnex 4-1 (wrapped) and 106 GrpN exhaust

NGK Race Plugs 8 or a 9 with platinum electrodes

Jenvey 45mm SF Individual TB's on custom manifold (decent inlet length)

BE4R Gearbox (once I get my arse in gear) with cable shift

christopher

How much do these pistons set you back then sam? Are they forged?

Edited by christopher

Sam

The 16v pistons are flat top (completely) rather than the very slight dish in the 8v pistons, also I may have a slight head skim, currently at ~10.6:1.

Sam

edit: You edited your post :blink: They are just brand new OEM pistons from Peugeot.

Edited by Sam

christopher
The 16v pistons are flat top (completely) rather than the very slight dish in the 8v pistons, also I may have a slight head skim, currently at ~10.6:1.

Ok I see... I always thought an 8v piston was the basically the same as the 16v???

Any chance you can estimate the volume of these dishes:-P

My block comed from a TU5J4 (106 Gti) so they are flat top pistons with very tiny custouts for the valves.

T1_813_1104940.jpg

Edited by christopher

Sam

0.6cc per piston (measured by sandy) dish on the 8v tu5.

Edited by Sam

Guest Eric_205Rallye
Eric_205Rallye

It looks like I need to skin 1 to 2 mm off the head to bring the CR to 10.1 to 11. How much did you skim off?

I need to up at least in the 10's

First sorry for the late answer.........

I'm not very often on this forum, cause if i read here, I read everything and it takes some time to translate everything and to understand everything, especially the technical part......

First I have to explain something.......

I had thought the engine out for my self and just when I want to buy the pieces for the complete engine, i was offered a complete builded engine witch I have now, so I can't say for sure how manny is skimmed off........

BUT

I know by which factory the engine has been build, this is their website www.beekautoracing.nl and I have factures of it. So I can give it a call and try to get the exact information, but as you understand it takes time....

This is the less fun part, if you buy a complete engine, cause you don't know what kind of problems I would have, if I made the engine myself. If i made it myself, i could told you very easy how many it is skimmed off......

greetings,

Eric

bren_1.3

quick little update on this now, got hold of a kent cam and vernier pulley, i also have some flat top 1.3 pistons so this is well underway. am looking into skimming the block when i can finally get hold of one, so ill keep this updated over time. thanks for all the info everyone...

Ted

as far as i know The VTR roller rocker engine also has flat top pistons

christopher
quick little update on this now, got hold of a kent cam and vernier pulley, i also have some flat top 1.3 pistons so this is well underway. am looking into skimming the block when i can finally get hold of one, so ill keep this updated over time. thanks for all the info everyone...

Which pistons are these Bren? The Domed 1.3 TU24 ones or some other?

Edited by christopher

bren_1.3
Which pistons are these Bren? The Domed 1.3 TU24 ones or some other?

they are the 1.3 TU24 pistons, but im going to put up a picture(s) of some other pistons that have rather large valve cutouts, that a friend gave me, all wrapped up in a box covered with peugeot sport tape?!

the cutouts are really noticeable! theres a number on the side of them but i havent called up peugeot to enquire about them.

bore is definately 75mm on them. numbers are stamped on the side of the piston: 89664 then there is a large 'M' with the number 200 above it and the number 0899 below it, theres also the numbers 74,95 and 701/1 on it.

ill get some pictures up before this week is out.

christopher
they are the 1.3 TU24 pistons, but im going to put up a picture(s) of some other pistons that have rather large valve cutouts, that a friend gave me, all wrapped up in a box covered with peugeot sport tape?!

the cutouts are really noticeable! theres a number on the side of them but i havent called up peugeot to enquire about them.

bore is definately 75mm on them. numbers are stamped on the side of the piston: 89664 then there is a large 'M' with the number 200 above it and the number 0899 below it, theres also the numbers 74,95 and 701/1 on it.

ill get some pictures up before this week is out.

Souns interesting does he have any more of these going.

Edited by christopher

bren_1.3

i will ask but the box dates back to about 1999. he did seem to know very little about them though. i have some pictures on my camera phone, but im going to try and get some pictures of them using my girlfriend's digital camera. stay tuned i suppose!

oooo just looked on the inside of the piston and can see the name 'mahle' stamped on them!

Mattsav

Is the class limit 1400cc or 1450cc (a lot of classes seem to be 1450).

If its 1450cc then a 1360 block fitted with a 1600 crank gives 1449cc.

You'll need to trim the tops of the pistons off to suit but you'll also get a useful increase in compression.

The best head to use is the 106 rallye/1400 XSI although the tu24 will do. Just the valve stems are 8mm rather than 7mm.

I've got high comp 8v pistons for the 8v engines.

8vTUpiston.jpg

Nice cutouts for valve and the spark plug.

Available in 75, 75.5 and 76mm

Compression height of 36.9, 38 or 40mm depening on which engine you have.

bren_1.3

turns out i have a set of mahle forged pistons! all for the princely sum of £50! awesome. had to ring the mahle headquarters in germany though they spoke excellent english!

am off next weekend to pick up a 1360cc alloy block with 70k miles on it. *should* be in a good enough state to just rehone the liners and make sure everything's ok!

mattsav - im just being on the safe side at 1400cc, ive not looked properly into the regs for the rallies i want to do. some interesting info there though!

christopher
turns out i have a set of mahle forged pistons! all for the princely sum of £50! awesome. had to ring the mahle headquarters in germany though they spoke excellent english!

am off next weekend to pick up a 1360cc alloy block with 70k miles on it. *should* be in a good enough state to just rehone the liners and make sure everything's ok!

mattsav - im just being on the safe side at 1400cc, ive not looked properly into the regs for the rallies i want to do. some interesting info there though!

You got a bargin there bren...I take it you mate doesn't have any more :ph34r:

bren_1.3
You got a bargin there bren...I take it you mate doesn't have any more

im off to his today, ill see if he has anymore!

christopher
im off to his today, ill see if he has anymore!

Ta Bren...I'll deffo take some off his hands if he has... :(

bren_1.3

chris. you might be in luck. hes got 3 forged J.E pistons, but the rings are shot and there are some pock marks in one of the pistons.

let me no if your interested.

another update on this, im struggling with liner selection, apparantly peugeot marked liners and pistons either A, B, C, D. i have 2 B's and 2C's. but im not so sure what the forged mahle pistons use, or the J.E pistons for that matter.

bottom end wise im struggling along, its all in pieces, awaiting a rebuild. top end wise im now on double valve springs, but standard valves.

christopher
chris. you might be in luck. hes got 3 forged J.E pistons, but the rings are shot and there are some pock marks in one of the pistons.

let me no if your interested.

another update on this, im struggling with liner selection, apparantly peugeot marked liners and pistons either A, B, C, D. i have 2 B's and 2C's. but im not so sure what the forged mahle pistons use, or the J.E pistons for that matter.

bottom end wise im struggling along, its all in pieces, awaiting a rebuild. top end wise im now on double valve springs, but standard valves.

Hi Bren,

Don't think I would be interested in the JE ones...Especially since there are only 3 of them. I was only really interested in the 75mm Mahle ones. Or any other 78.5+ mm forged ones...

Let me know if some drum up somehow...B)

Cheers Anyways

Cheers

/Christopher

Sign in to follow this