• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ogwen69

Why Does She Choose Mot Day To Not Start?

Ogwen69

Hi all, sorry to throw this at you on a Monday Morning.

89 1.6 GTi - fully standard. Had been stood for 3 weeks as a 406 V6 has taken over :D but going to MOT it today then get shut. Went to start it yesterday, no luck. tinker for a bit then pull the spark plugs out to find they were caked in crap - new plugs and she started first turn of the key. So, went out for a run (took a fridge to the tip) then home. Sat on the drive for an hour then she started fine, moved her round and then washed and hoovered ready for MOT and... no starting.

Battery = fine - loads of turn

Not even a splutter thought, no backfire or anything.

left her overnight and still no joy

any ideas?

Cheers fellas

tom_m

if your plugs are fouled then its either burning oil or over-fueling what did the crap look like, wet or dry? - any smoke at all?

bitchass 205

Does the rev counter needle move at all, if only a little? Is there any fuel being pumped out of the feul line? if not it could be the fuel pump relay. I had this happen to mine, it would happily start and other times it wouldn't. The relay could be burnt out, its located on the right hand side under the dash just behind the heater vent. Pull it apart and check the terminals arn't black or brown, indicating its burnt out.

Ogwen69
if your plugs are fouled then its either burning oil or over-fueling what did the crap look like, wet or dry? - any smoke at all?

no smoke, dry plugs, chalky residue on the sparky bit

Has now been isolated to Fuel Pump! trying to get one off Ebay - Local motor factors says there are two different kinds of electric fuel pump - does it matter which i use?

bitchass 205

Did you check the relay, i only say cause nearlt had to replace mine, the pump is in the tank under the back seat and apperently a bitch to replace.

Fuqa

just connect a battery straight to the fuel pump to test it. i would assume relay first before pump

Ogwen69
The relay could be burnt out, its located on the right hand side under the dash just behind the heater vent. Pull it apart and check the terminals arn't black or brown, indicating its burnt out.

But if i turn it over then the wires going in to the pump are both live - could it still be the relay>?

Anthony
the pump is in the tank under the back seat and apperently a bitch to replace.

It's straightforward - undo 7 bolts, two hose clips, and a wiring connector and remove.

bitchass 205

I guess that the signal goes through the relay so if the relay was ok then yes the wires going to the pump would be live. To be honest i was watching my mate fix mine and so don't know the full ins and outs of what he did. I would say that its more simple to check the relay, but if your mechanically ninded then check the pump first.

:)

jonah
But if i turn it over then the wires going in to the pump are both live - could it still be the relay>?

If they're BOTH live then the problem is the lack of an earth to the pump! The earthing point is just in front of the N/S rear lamp cluster (accessed from the boot by pulling back the fabric lining on the left hand side).

Ogwen69

And it was the Relay - many thanks to you all for your help

Anyone want to buy it? Will be going up for sale in a week. I will put a proper ad on next week but in the meantime its 1989 1.6 standard apart from 1/2 leather. Bridgestone Potenza RE720 x 4, MOT 12 months and tax till june.

Og

Edited by Ogwen69

Sign in to follow this