• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
erica

Piston Rings

erica

Now the weather is picking up again im begining to think about swapping the rings on my pug. Quick question, ive already got some 1.6 rings but Chilli is a 1.9. Can I use these rings or do I have to get some new ones?

Cheers

Erica :)

Anthony

The rings are the same to the best of my knowledge, but given the cost and hassle involved with changing them, I'd do it properly and use new rings (£30-40 or so), rehoned liners, and you may as well replace the big end bearings as well since you'll need to remove them and they're probably past their best.

Are you sure it's the rings that are at fault, as in my experience they're usually fairly robust and it's valve stem seals that the are the usual cause of burning oil (if it only smokes on overrun and when hot idling then that's a dead giveaway)?

erica

The rings ive got are brand spanking new and still in the box :)

The engine was rebuilt allegedly approx 10k miles ago, so im hoping the rest of the engine is ok still.

Im sure it is the rings as the compression is down on cylinder 3 by 1.5 bar. And ive done a wet test thing too and it seemed so bring it back up again.

Also its constantly blowing smoke, not just when starting up but also when excellerating too :(

Unless you want to see her tomorrow after the autosport show :P

Edited by erica

Anthony

Ack, probably is rings then :)

Just checked the Pug Parts CD for you, and the 1.6 and 1.9 GTi piston rings are identical, so the ones you've got will be fine. If the engine was rebuilt then the big ends should also be fine and not need replacing, although inspect them when they're removed and judge based on that.

I'd happily come up and take a look at it for you tomorrow evening after the Autosport show, but I'm leaving my car at a friends house and getting a lift there and thus won't be coming past your neck of the woods.

erica

Excuses!!!!! Im sure Kate wont mind coming over too :P

Only joking :)

Cheers Anthony :(

Im hoping this will cure the stupid oil pressure too. Its blowing out everywhere :(

Anthony
Im hoping this will cure the stupid oil pressure too. Its blowing out everywhere :)

If the rings have gone then that'll be causing excessive crankcase pressure (especially if your breathers are blocked with mayo etc given the time of year) and that will force oil out all over the place :P

erica
If the rings have gone then that'll be causing excessive crankcase pressure (especially if your breathers are blocked with mayo etc given the time of year) and that will force oil out all over the place :P

Yeah there is enough mayo to put helmans out of action for a while :(

Its blowing out the breather on the cam cover and the cam cover gasket. Its everywhere :)

edit!!!

Oil is blowing out, not mayo!!

Edited by erica

PumaRacing
Now the weather is picking up again im begining to think about swapping the rings on my pug. Quick question, ive already got some 1.6 rings but Chilli is a 1.9. Can I use these rings or do I have to get some new ones?

Cheers

Erica :rolleyes:

All 1.9 2v engines have 1.5mm x 1.5mm x 4mm rings. The 1.6 engines have various ring packs, theoretically as follows.

XU 5S (carb 1984 onwards) 2.1mm bowl depth

XU 52C B2A (1987 onwards) 2.9mm bowl

XU 52C KAT (1988 onwards) 2.9mm bowl

1.75mm x 1.75mm x 4mm

XU 5J (103 PS Gti engine 1984 onwards) 1.45mm bowl

XU 5JA (115PS Gti engine 1986 onwards) 1.45mm bowl

XU 5M KAT (1985 onwards) 2.1mm bowl

1.5mm x 1.5mm x 4mm

XU 5JPZ KAT (Peugeot 306 engine 1996 onwards) 1.95mm bowl

1.5mm x 1.5mm x 3mm

It's always safest to measure the old rings first on 1.6's given the uncertain origin of old engines and that even with a given engine code it might have been rebuilt in the past with different pistons. There's only a tiny difference in the bowl depth between various of the 1.6 pistons (edit: as now also listed above) and it's very easy to rebuild an engine with different ones and make no appreciable difference to how it runs.

For instance the XU5M KAT piston with 1.5mm rings has the same same length, crown height and 2.1mm deep bowl as the XU5S carb piston with 1.75mm rings. It's functionally identical but a different ring pack. It also fits the 1.9 XU 9J1 KAT 102PS engine just to further complicate things.

For reference all XU7 engines and the XU9J4 Mi16 engine have 1.5mm x 1.5mm x 3mm ring packs as with the 5JPZ above.

Sign in to follow this