• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Revla

S16 With Gti-6 Exhaust Manifold.... This Weekend

Revla

Hi all,

My mate and I are putting a GTi-6 exhaust manifold on a S16 engine

(I know the ports aren't right, but a nice bit of grinding and welding has

rectified this and the stud pattern required only 1 hole drilling ...

plus a copper exhaust to gasket!) :)

Has anyone done this and seen the outcome? I'll also have two shiny new Catcams

too....(same as Maxi's)

Cheers

maxi
Hi all,

plus a copper exhaust to gasket!) :)

too....(same as Maxi's)

Cheers

I spoke to nick and he reckons it took several hours to dress the manifold to match!!! When I put my GTi6 lump in the manifold was VERY VERY tight, in fact it does make contact if you are violent when reversing...... One of Stew's bottom engine mounts will sort that.

Good luck with it Trev, should make bloody good power..... Once I have sorted the ongoing issues with my engine, maybe that will make power too....

Have you been out in Robs car yet?

Maxi

Revla
I spoke to nick and he reckons it took several hours to dress the manifold to match!!! When I put my GTi6 lump in the manifold was VERY VERY tight, in fact it does make contact if you are violent when reversing...... One of Stew's bottom engine mounts will sort that.

Good luck with it Trev, should make bloody good power..... Once I have sorted the ongoing issues with my engine, maybe that will make power too....

Have you been out in Robs car yet?

Maxi

Hello mate,

No, not been out in Rob's car since it has ben fully mapped.... but did whilst he was running in.

Seemed nice and torqy!

Nick has done a great job dressing the manifold as you say.... i'm hoping for good power, going with a standard downpipe without the central splitter.... so 4-1 system.

I already have group N mounts all round, so hopefully this will be enough! :)

What do you think of the cams?

Cheers dude...

Trev

DrSeuss

what needs doing? Any pics of the modified manifold before it went into the car?

Are there any issues with things like master cylinder clearance? Are you the guy running an s16 on emerald management?

Having looked at the s16 manifold it looks pretty spot on as standard, but the gti6 manifold with its crazy-ass equal length runners also appeals.

Revla
what needs doing? Any pics of the modified manifold before it went into the car?

Are there any issues with things like master cylinder clearance? Are you the guy running an s16 on emerald management?

Having looked at the s16 manifold it looks pretty spot on as standard, but the gti6 manifold with its crazy-ass equal length runners also appeals.

Its all about primary pipes.... so I am told the longer the manifold pipes the better.... plus it is

stainless and the S16 manifold is ugly IMO (similar to 205 GTi type), and apparently restrictive.

It isn't in the car yet.... hopefully tomorrow, so will post some pics ASA. Not sure on clearances although

Maxi has one in his 205 GTi-6 conversion, only with some minor bulkhead issues I believe...

I am the one running on emerald with Jenvey 45's :)

Cheers

DrSeuss

Nice, i look forward to the pics, i'm running an s16 engine as standard currently, but going megasquirt, bike bodies and 2044cc's and maybe some nice cams. Should be some fast iron block engines around!

maxi
Hello mate,

No, not been out in Rob's car since it has ben fully mapped.... but did whilst he was running in.

Seemed nice and torqy!

Nick has done a great job dressing the manifold as you say.... i'm hoping for good power, going with a standard downpipe without the central splitter.... so 4-1 system.

I already have group N mounts all round, so hopefully this will be enough! :)

What do you think of the cams?

Cheers dude...

Trev

Trev, I was very dubious about Catcams along with everyone else. When I had my new engine built at QEP I said t Matt it had to drive how my old one did only with more power. I didnt mind spending the money as long as it still violently came on power at 4-5K..... This is exactly what it does. The cams do seem very very good and of high quality and appear to do exactly what they say on the tin. I just need my engine to actually run without trying to self destruct.....not sure if nick told you but it has some serious issues.

Im not sure whether the GTi6 manifold is better for mid range torque of high RPM power?? The split in the downpipe is a waste of time in my opinion, I always run them without and much prefer the way they drive and the power they produce.

As for fitting your manifold, I think it might be a headache. Do you know whetehr the S16 head is the same height as the GTi6 one?? Literally mine just went in, another 5mm and it would mean serious modifications to the manifold......

Maxi

Edited by maxi

DrSeuss

S16 manifold mates up nicely to the standard down pipe which was a real bonus in terms of the conversion.

Sure you don't want a megasquirt maxi? At least it'd get the fuelling spot on....

maxi
S16 manifold mates up nicely to the standard down pipe which was a real bonus in terms of the conversion.

Sure you don't want a megasquirt maxi? At least it'd get the fuelling spot on....

Megasquirt???? Nah sod that, Id rather go for a well established and 100% recognised system by all good mappers. If you go to the trouble of going aftermarkett management, its worht buying a proper setup and not going for the cheap option. The best way to decide on a new management system is to find a decent mapper. By that, I dont mean a mate or some bloke who talks a load of bollocks, I mean someone who knows how engines work and how different parameters affect engines inside out. Someone who hasmapped lots of and lots of cars before, who made good power but at the same time the cars are still running and making good power a long time after. Ive found my mapper, hes based in Uxbridge and he favours omex. So, there is no other option for me, nothing else comes into the conclusion. Omex it is.

Its not the fueling thats essentially the problem with my engine anyway.....

Maxi

DrSeuss
Megasquirt???? Nah sod that, Id rather go for a well established and 100% recognised system by all good mappers. If you go to the trouble of going aftermarkett management, its worht buying a proper setup and not going for the cheap option. The best way to decide on a new management system is to find a decent mapper. By that, I dont mean a mate or some bloke who talks a load of bollocks, I mean someone who knows how engines work and how different parameters affect engines inside out. Someone who hasmapped lots of and lots of cars before, who made good power but at the same time the cars are still running and making good power a long time after. Ive found my mapper, hes based in Uxbridge and he favours omex. So, there is no other option for me, nothing else comes into the conclusion. Omex it is.

Haha, i knew you'd say that Maxi. If you knew about electronics you'd know megasquirt isn't the cheap option, its just they don't pay any staff. R&D costs are the biggest expense in industry.

Having seen so many mi's come off the rollers with crap figures x, y or z quid later, i think most mappers are just as big a rip off as most head porting guru's. If i map my own engine, i'll learn from the process and be laughing all the way to the bank nearly 1k richer!

Don't worry, i'm a good sport, i'll use some of that to buy you a drink when you edge away from me and my 1500 quid s*it box.

Sorry revla, gone a bit off topic, i look forward to your pics.

maxi
Haha, i knew you'd say that Maxi. If you knew about electronics you'd know megasquirt isn't the cheap option, its just they don't pay any staff. R&D costs are the biggest expense in industry.

Having seen so many mi's come off the rollers with crap figures x, y or z quid later, i think most mappers are just as big a rip off as most head porting guru's. If i map my own engine, i'll learn from the process and be laughing all the way to the bank nearly 1k richer!

Don't worry, i'm a good sport, i'll use some of that to buy you a drink when you edge away from me and my 1500 quid s*it box.

Sorry revla, gone a bit off topic, i look forward to your pics.

If you ever get it MOT'd sam!!! :unsure:

Seriously though, thinking about it, have you got any pics of your conversion?? Weve heard all about it would be nice to see. Trevs one is absolutely factory, in fact, I actually thought it looked best with the std inlet on very how pug intended. Nick did it, the one with the 206 cossie.

Sam I actually have a qualification in electronics, but I still wouldnt use a s*itty ECU mapped by myself. Good mappers, just like people who are good at headwork, WILL get results. The guy who is going to map mine has had the results, hes been doing it since day dot. Remember that supercharged, turbocharged and nitrous'd supersport fiesta????

Im a good sport too! How about I buy the drinks!

Maxi

petert
Hi all,

plus a copper exhaust to gasket!) :o

too....(same as Maxi's)

Cheers

I can't believe you've done it. The mismatch is so bad. Did you do a search on the topic? I'm currently making a 25mm thick spacer/angle plate to reduce the angle of mismatch.

maxi

I just hope that the manifold holds together with that much modification...... Nick is plagued with blowing manifolds! :)

Good luck trev!

Maxi

GoodwoodNSM

Its not the fueling thats essentially the problem with my engine anyway.....

Maxi

Maxi

The place your talking about in Uxbridge is where Omex recomend in this area that's where I'll be off to when I finally get round to fitting my Bodies and Omex 600 :) .

Neil

maxi
Maxi

The place your talking about in Uxbridge is where Omex recomend in this area that's where I'll be off to when I finally get round to fitting my Bodies and Omex 600 :) .

Neil

You too, will be making realistic and good BHP too then!!! :P Had a chat with the mapper a while ago, he seemed keen to do it!

Maxi

GoodwoodNSM
You too, will be making realistic and good BHP too then!!! :) Had a chat with the mapper a while ago, he seemed keen to do it!

Maxi

Yeah me too. I had a chat with him before Xmas but just haven't found the time to fit everything if I'm not busy then my mate is very depressing :P .

Be good to see how he does with both cars.

Neil

Robsbc

Don't think you can blame the mapper....He's only working with what he's been supplied by the customer. Most conversion of Mi's on here are just bolt on parts cobbled together not a complete package from one tuner...So no real surprise the yhave getting lower than expected figures...

Spent the afternoon witnessing the work require to fit the GTI-6 manifold, when I had left it still needed more angling....

Who knows if all this hard work is going to pay off on the rollers, Trev will know on Friday...

Edited by Robsbc

maxi

Spoke to Nick at the pub last night, it now fits!

Maxi

Revla
Spoke to Nick at the pub last night, it now fits!

Maxi

Well thank duck for that!!

I was nearly going to put the old one back on!!!

Maxi - don't you think the original cast poop looks restrictive?

DrSeuss

How can you tell it looks restrictive? The 1.9 8v manifold is supposedly spot on and bears a remarkable resemblance.

Robsbc
How can you tell it looks restrictive? The 1.9 8v manifold is supposedly spot on and bears a remarkable resemblance.

You can't.....

How bad is the mismatch PeterT? Is all this work going to be for nothing?

Edited by Robsbc

Revla
You can't.....

How bad is the mismatch PeterT? Is all this work going to be for nothing?

Ok.... I can't but I do know of someone who has put the Mi in a engine simulator programme

and the standard manifold restricts to less than 200 brake...

Plus the Gti-6 looks nicer & people I know whom race & build engine say that its beneficial to have longer primary pipes!! :D

maxi
Well thank duck for that!!

I was nearly going to put the old one back on!!!

Maxi - don't you think the original cast poop looks restrictive?

Not sure Trev to be honest! It dosent look fantastic but looks can be decieving. The GTi6 manifold is certainly going to do no harm!! I think you will start reaping the benefits if the engine ever got over 200BHP but I am no engine tuner so I wouldnt be able to tell!

Should be good whateve, I predict it to make 190BHP on the rollers with those cams and TB's. A genuine 200BHP is very difficult to get. I only think I will make 195 - poss 200BHP and I am running lots more cc and much more compression.

Maxi

Shevy
Not sure Trev to be honest! It dosent look fantastic but looks can be decieving. The GTi6 manifold is certainly going to do no harm!! I think you will start reaping the benefits if the engine ever got over 200BHP but I am no engine tuner so I wouldnt be able to tell!

Should be good whateve, I predict it to make 190BHP on the rollers with those cams and TB's. A genuine 200BHP is very difficult to get. I only think I will make 195 - poss 200BHP and I am running lots more cc and much more compression.

Maxi

Hi Maxi,

Are you running Catcams and if so what spec and have you had any head work done aswell and big inlet valves fitted ?

I thought Stew 205 got 218 BHP with a very similar spec engine to you.

I'm sure you'll easily get 200bhp if you've had some headwork done aswell.

Fingers crossed for you.

maxi
Hi Maxi,

Are you running Catcams and if so what spec and have you had any head work done aswell and big inlet valves fitted ?

I thought Stew 205 got 218 BHP with a very similar spec engine to you.

I'm sure you'll easily get 200bhp if you've had some headwork done aswell.

Fingers crossed for you.

Shevy, yes I am running Catcams. My full engine spec is:

2.0 solid block (XU10J4- taken from a S16), bored to 86.5mm

Wiseco Forged high compression pistons

Mi crank

Block decked

Head Skimmed, and completely refurbed with new guides and 3 angle valve seats with cut back valves

Light headwork of an unknown source

Catcams 4900528 cams with 11.5mm and 10.8mm lift ( biggest you can go on hydraulic lifters)

Compression ratio of around 11.5:1 (Compreesion test at 350miles showed 245PSI across all 4 cylinders)

Works out to a total of 2096cc (2.1)

With that spec, I expect a REAL power output of around 195BHP to 200BHP with KMS Throttle bodies and Omex management mapped on a realistic set of rollers.

As has been said on previous threads, there are very few TRUE 200BHP mi's out there!

Maxi

Edited by maxi

Sign in to follow this