• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Revla

S16 With Gti-6 Exhaust Manifold.... This Weekend

petert
You can't.....

How bad is the mismatch PeterT? Is all this work going to be for nothing?

Read this thread:

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...ic=42839&hl=S16

The difference between the overall width of the ports is 12mm, or 6mm per side. Making the exhaust gas turn 6mm over a short distance isn't a smart thing. It needs to be a gradual change, ideally around 6 degrees from memory.

I don't think there's any evidence to suggest an cast S16 manifold is any more restrictive than the fabricated 1.9L manifold. Until someone does a back to back flow test we're only guessing. The S16 outlet and downpipe is a full 2.5" compared to 2.25" on the 1.9L.

maxi
Read this thread:

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...ic=42839&hl=S16

The difference between the overall width of the ports is 12mm, or 6mm per side. Making the exhaust gas turn 6mm over a short distance isn't a smart thing. It needs to be a gradual change, ideally around 6 degrees from memory.

I don't think there's any evidence to suggest an cast S16 manifold is any more restrictive than the fabricated 1.9L manifold. Until someone does a back to back flow test we're only guessing. The S16 outlet and downpipe is a full 2.5" compared to 2.25" on the 1.9L.

Lets get it on the flow bench, quick! Matt, fire the old girl up!!

Could prove some real good results!

Maxi

Edited by maxi

DrSeuss

Could you not chop the ports off as they start to oval and weld them to a custom flange and formed ovals? Obviously this isn't just a modification and requires significant amounts of fabrication. But judging by your post Peter it seems the only sensible way of attacking the problem.

With flange's being so cheap and the possibility of reangling the manifold while fabricating the port formers its still cheaper then paying for a custom manifold.

You've also confirmed my downpipe and exhaust are probably going to form a restriction in terms of power, time to upgrade to a 2.5" system when money permits.

Revla

Just to say, all up and running now......pics to follow, mapping now next month.

Then the master cylinder gave up on Saturday.... terrific :blink:

Cheers

Trev

maxi

Oh s*it, bad luck Trev!!!!

I must everyone, went out in this the other day and it did spur me on to get mine all sorted. It goes very well considering its only running a map for a std S16.

Cant wait to see what it makes on the rollers!

Maxi

Revla

Cheers Maxi,

I can't wait either..... should be good..... :(

Just suspension to sort, then its the (almost) perfect Pug... :)

Then to sort the Goodwood.....

Revla

Hi people....was at Emerald yesterday

Graphs to follow, but it made 201.9 bhp and 158.7lbft of torque......

Lovely! :P

Cheers

Trev

Dom9

That's a good result... I'm itching to get my S16 done now...

Shevy

Excellent result there.

Have you had any headwork done to achieve that result ?

Whats your full engine spec ?

Revla
Excellent result there.

Have you had any headwork done to achieve that result ?

Whats your full engine spec ?

It is a S16 from a Citroen ZX:

Uprated oil pump spring (really helps!)

Catcams: 4900339 & Verniers

Three angle valve seats

GTi-6 manifold

Jenvey 45's

Emerald ECU

Cheers

Trev

Robsbc

S16.pdf

Trev's graph of 2.0 S16 plus bodies + mods v 2.0 AVAC, K & N & GRP N middle box.

He's on 40mm trumpets

Edited by Robsbc

Revla
S16.pdf

2.0 S16 plus bodies + mods v 2.0 AVAC, K & N & GRP N middle box

Thanks Rob...

My graphs from yesterday.... and standard engine from previous power run.

Edited by Revla

Robsbc

And here's one for Jon Murgie interest 40mm v 75mm trumpets....In the end Trev decided to choose 40mm for his engine....

Dotted line represents 75mm trumpets

Trumpets.pdf

maxi

Well done trev, f***ing brilliant result!! I better get mine some bodies now and get some proper power out of it......

Whats does it drive like??? Is it still quite powerband'y or is it smooth power right through the rev range? Does it feel a lot quicker than when you took me out in it?

Maxi

Edited by maxi

petert
It is a S16 from a Citroen ZX:

Uprated oil pump spring (really helps!)

Catcams: 4900339 & Verniers

Three angle valve seats

GTi-6 manifold

Jenvey 45's

Emerald ECU

Cheers

Trev

An interesting thread, as I'm currently building a very similar engine for myself. I've got two heads for it, a big valve hydraulic and a big valve solid. The hydraulic head has cams very similar to above, which I'll use to run it in until I get the bigger solid head finished. You didn't mention what piston/CR you're using? Mine uses the Wiseco forged pistons and is 11.8:1. I'm keen as mustard to finish it and compare the results.

petert

I've just been having a good look at the trumpet comparison. It's interesting comparing the AFR plots with the dips and troughs in the power and torque plots. A bit of time cleaning it up might improve things further.

Robsbc
I've just been having a good look at the trumpet comparison. It's interesting comparing the AFR plots with the dips and troughs in the power and torque plots. A bit of time cleaning it up might improve things further.

Trev is running standard pistons...Compression is higher as head was machined last time and maybe this time round too.

Regarding the trumpets graph Dave Walker @ Emerald had initially started a bit of mapping on the 75mm and then did a power run and moved over to 40's. Dave just wanted to compare the dips before he went on and finished the whole map. As Trev decided on 40's DW had to start again...

Also at Emerald a 306 S16 on tb's only and rear exhaust system made 190BHP & 158lbft.

Edited by Robsbc

Revla
Well done trev, f***ing brilliant result!! I better get mine some bodies now and get some proper power out of it......

Whats does it drive like??? Is it still quite powerband'y or is it smooth power right through the rev range? Does it feel a lot quicker than when you took me out in it?

Maxi

Jamming mate! I'm well pleased....

Under about 3.5-4k its nice for town driving, after that a band comes in, then another pull after somewhere

around 6k ish.

Yes, it is quicker than when you went in it, was running way rich.

Trev

Hi,

What do you mean by cleaning up - matching inlet manifold to ports or?

Cheers

Trev

petert
What do you mean by cleaning up - matching inlet manifold to ports or?

If you look at the 75mm trumpet AFR, it looks like a double camel's back from 5000 onwards. Some fine tuning of the mixtures may have flattened/improved the power/torque curves. It's even more interesting that at around 5700 the mixtures approach 13:1, yet the torque curve dips down, suggesting it may have liked to be closer to 14:1 at this point.

Revla
If you look at the 75mm trumpet AFR, it looks like a double camel's back from 5000 onwards. Some fine tuning of the mixtures may have flattened/improved the power/torque curves. It's even more interesting that at around 5700 the mixtures approach 13:1, yet the torque curve dips down, suggesting it may have liked to be closer to 14:1 at this point.

Dave just did a 'quick' map to look at the differences between the 40's and the 75's, then I decided, with

help from Dave and RobSBC on their views of the best to go for.

I could always try the 75's on a full map at a later date..... :blink: Money availability!

Sign in to follow this