• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mareksio

Big Scare Turns Into Small Problem

mareksio

Right,

Driving home last night, been out for a fairly long drive giving the car some serious stick. I come out of a corner, through second, change up to third, check the mirror for police...and all I can see is smoke! Obviously soiled myself at this point, slowed down to a crawl, and the smoke reduced to nothing. I was only about a mile from home, so I crept home as gingerly as I could, and went to bed, suspecting the worst...

Started the car up today, opened the bonnet and revved it a bit, and noticed that the coolant hose that runs to the heater matrix (lower one) had split, and was squirting coolant onto the exhaust. Whew!

So now, I have the small problem of sourcing a new one of these hoses. Are there differences between phase 1 and phase 2, and would the hose just be the original 1.9 GTi one? (car has Mi16). Is this going to involve a trip to the main dealer, or is there an aftermarket alternative?

DrSeuss

is that the one going to the thermostat from the bulkhead? If so a ph2 hose is what your after, autofive quoted me about 15 quid for it. But i made up one from a length of coolant hose from my local motorfactors. Its not brilliant but does work ok.

mareksio

Yeah, that's the one - just had a look on the Autofive site... £20! Duck tape today, motor factors tomorrow methinks - cheers for your help

pug_ham
Are there differences between phase 1 and phase 2, and would the hose just be the original 1.9 GTi one? (car has Mi16).

Yes there are differences between phase 1 & phase 2, phase 1 has a small hose that goes from the thermostat housing to the coolant temp sensor housing & then another hose from there to the bulkhead but the later Phase 2's have a single hose from the thermostat housing to the bulkhead, like Dr Seuss says this is the hose you want for an Mi.

Graham.

C_W

Some of these pipes are relatively cheap from Peugeot, but then some are daft prices. Probably worth trying there first. Is it the one with the bleed screw?

mareksio

It's the one without the bleed screw - I suppose I can try Peugeot tomorrow, would rather have the correct one since there are a few bends in it.

DrSeuss

Not just that but the ends are different dia.'s the thermostat end is flared but the bulkhead end is alot smaller. Though you can get a 16mm hose to fit over both ends, the fit isn't as convincing as it should be. I intend on replacing mine with the proper hose at some point. So if you get a price, i'd be interested in hearing it.

easypug

For uprated hoses best bet is a set of samco's, cheapest place for them is Raldes. Although might be worth thinking about a group buy to get some money off, people are always in the need for hoses.

C_W

I think the pipe you need is 1307 C3 and is £16.83+vat from Peugeot (this goes from the bulkhead down to the back of the block on the cambelt side).

Edited by C_W

DrSeuss

No, its the other one, the one from the thermostat housing. The one without the bleed screw.

mareksio

It's this one - currently squirts out a nice jet of water onto the manifold.

hose2oq.jpg

Don't know if i can justify £180 odd for a set of hoses at the moment, though it would certainly be the best long term solution - suppose it depends the condition of my other coolant hoses.

easypug

The only reason i went for the hoses on my first 205 is i had about 3 hoses go in around 10 days. Once fitting the hoses i had no problems at all. Keep an eye on the group buy section (over the next few days) as i'm currently trying to sort one out.

C_W
No, its the other one, the one from the thermostat housing. The one without the bleed screw.

Oh yea! Read it as the one with a bleed screw. I think this one is more expensive for some reason as I bought quite a few hoses last year for mine. Not saure onthe part no. for that one.

mareksio

Suppose I'll find out the damage tomorrow, cheers for your help

C_W

Just out of interest, has it split just when the elbow on the head ends? (it sort of points down, slightly at odds with the angle the 8v pipe wants to take. This pipe split there on mine originally like this, I assume the metal pipe just gently dug into the pipe and eventually it split at the bottom half and lost most of the water.

I've since bent the pipe more straight (and also cut the hose down where it runs along the bulkhead and joined it with a copper pipe)

Guest downsy

Does it look like this?

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y275/pugking/a2d6fca8.jpg

Mine went with an almighty bang!

I'd bought a Samco silicon hose kit and fitted it the day before, but this little piece didn't come with it. Its been replaced now but the new hoses must have put to much strain on the little 15 year old pipe :unsure:

Edited by downsy

mareksio

The pipe actually split on the right-angle bend where it goes into the bulkhead, though the whole underside of the pipe felt pretty brittle, especially where it meets the pipe to the thermostat.

Downsy, is yours a phase 1? mine just has one hose. Looks nasty though, can't actually see the split on mine now i've taken it off the car...

Went down to Charters in Camberley today, and they managed to order me a new pipe in for the end of the day. Just picked it up, but it's not the same:

img1205edited2av.th.jpg

Have they sold me the wrong one, or do they just need cutting down and twisting round a bit for the Mi16 conversion? It cost £22.50 after vat, for future reference.

May still be interested in the group buy Easypug, so keep me posted. How much discount will it be possible to get on a set of Samcos? Noticed there have been group buys for them before through this forum.

Marek.

pug_ham

Looks like the wrong one to me, what is the part number?

AFAIK your should have;

1307 E1 01

RP 6464 M6 01

- RIGHT HAND DRIVE

Graham.

mareksio

Ah, I have a 6464M4. Cheers Graham, I'll throw some numbers at them next time so they can't mess up my order.

Guest downsy

yes mareksio mine is an '89 model but i dont' have mi16 engine unfortunately :)

mareksio

Problem solved,

The hose that the dealer gave me is infact the correct 1.9 ph2 one, but the side entrance into the thermostat housing was blanked off. Did a bit of searching, and it seems that the heater matrix hose can be connected to either the side plug, or the metal pipe that comes out the back of the thermostat housing. Swapped the blanking plug over to the rear one, and all is well:

img1206edited0iw.th.jpg

Forum comes up trumps again - cheers guys.

Marek

Sign in to follow this