• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest soogreen

A Few Questions

Guest soogreen

1. Why does my drivers side cill keep filling up with water????

2. How do you get the centre caps out the 1.9 alloy wheels????

3. Whats the standard tyre size for the 15 alloys???? not 195/45/15 i bet..

this is the biggy

My car is running like a dream but.....

4. My cylinder head gasket needs replacing, it has just had a new one put on with new bolts by the previous owner, he got the head from a donor car that was running fine with no leaks.. Bloke in garage says it might need skimming. Is there a chance it cound be the bottom bit thats knackered what the gasket fits on and not the head itself??

5.Anybody know a good garage in the northeast, preferably washington,gateshead area???

cheers for any replies i have e-mail notification on this topic soall answers will be read.

steven :ph34r:

ps what dammage is the head gasket causing to my engine now as i'm using it daily...

pugrallye

1: at some point its probably had a smack in its life (205's always get hit in rear quarters, check drain channels are clear at front (under scuttle panel) and remove drain plugs.

2: Remove the wheels and knock them outwards

3: 185/55 R15 (assuming its 1.9 wheels) most people put 195/50's on as they are much cheaper and readily availiable

4: possibly would need leak testing etc by professional, or sling a known good engine in

5: only know a guy in halifax, prob too south for you

Guest soogreen
1: at some point its probably had a smack in its life (205's always get hit in rear quarters, check drain channels are clear at front (under scuttle panel) and remove drain plugs.

2: Remove the wheels and knock them outwards

3: 185/55 R15 (assuming its 1.9 wheels) most people put 195/50's on as they are much cheaper and readily availiable

4: possibly would need leak testing etc by professional, or sling a known good engine in

5: only know a guy in halifax, prob too south for you

cheers pugrallye, whats the scuttle panel is that were the wipers are mounted????? i don't reallt know much about 205's yet.. :ph34r: i have drained the water off twice in about 4 weeks and it was full, and i mean full....lol i used the rubber plug next to the rear wheel as a live on a bank and the wtaer ran about 200 yards down the bank.

pugrallye

yeah thats the fella under the plastic panel at either end are drain holes make sure they are clear of leaves (shove a pressure washer lance down there) other than that just remove drain plugs, not much else you can do, some argument about rear window seals leaking, but water that collects is far too vast ( my old 205 used to suffer with your problem) there are a couple of drain plugs along the sill, would leave the one in the rear wheel arch in place though....

Edited by pugrallye

j_turnell

Check your rear window seal hasnt dried out as these often leak causing water to sit in the botom of the rear quarter

Do a compression test to comfirm the head gasket needs doing.

www.205parts.com have a look on there.

Guest soogreen
Check your rear window seal hasnt dried out as these often leak causing water to sit in the botom of the rear quarter

Do a compression test to comfirm the head gasket needs doing.

www.205parts.com have a look on there.

i will check the seal tomorrow as its dark now..

Can i do a compression test or is it a job for the garage??? havent a clue what 1 is,lol

Paul T

If it's running like a dream what are the symptoms which make you think the head gasket is gone?

Loosing water, running on 3, water in the oil, oil in the water, external leaks, producing steam from the exhaust when at running temp?

The possible damage depends on how the gasket has failed, if it has!

Guest soogreen
If it's running like a dream what are the symptoms which make you think the head gasket is gone?

Loosing water, running on 3, water in the oil, oil in the water, external leaks, producing steam from the exhaust when at running temp?

The possible damage depends on how the gasket has failed, if it has!

Hi paul, it started with an oil leak which the previous owner said it might be sump gasket as it has already been sealed , i took it to kwick fit for an oil change (knowing he would spot the leak and tell me what it was,lol and not bother getting the work done).

He said it was the sump but i couldsee itwas coming from higher up, he said it was just splashes of oil(greasy little teenager,lol) i took it to the local garage tellinghim it was the sump gasket but when i went to pick it up he said good news, it was the rocker cover gasket, £18.

2 days later(don't do many miles and the oil is leaking again but this time it was not dripping off the sump as before it is dripping all over the wishbone thing if thats what you call it.

The water had been fine but now its not losing any, if it is its not very noticable but its getting that mayo under the water cap and when you dip your finger in the water it comes out covered in s*ite.

Also the bloke at work said when i pulled away the other day he was behind and nearly choked, said it was burning oil. I noticed a bit blue smoke on start up but after that its fine and REALLY DOES RUN LIKE A DREAM, I JUST HAD IT TUNED WITH THE OIL LEAK ABOUT 3 WEEKS AGO but the water does seem to be getting worse.

any ideas??

cheers

jackherer

oil in the water does normally mean a knackered head gasket, but on your '91 1.9 you should have an oil/water heat exchanger fitted to the back of the oil filter. Ive heard of these failing and letting oil and water mix.

Guest soogreen
oil in the water does normally mean a knackered head gasket, but on your '91 1.9 you should have an oil/water heat exchanger fitted to the back of the oil filter. Ive heard of these failing and letting oil and water mix.

i'll take a look today jack, cheers

Richie-Van-GTi

closest place I know near you is teeside motor factors in middlesbrough. Sure someone on pugpower.net will point you in direction for a place in washington area. Since nobody else has mentioned it the blue smoke could be stem seals, whats your oil pressure like?

Id also flush the coolant and oil then see how i goes from there with fresh stuff. It could be gunk and dirt left from when it previously went if it wasnt flushed properly.

Sign in to follow this