• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Dino

Rev Counter - How Do You Know Its Accurate?

Dino

My Mi16 rev limiter 'appears' to cut in at 6900rpm and the car still feels like its pulling hard at that point - how can I find out if its accurate? (I have a 3 row ecu by the way)

Also my cams are 270 profile - on this profile where should maximum power be? Is it 7200rpm and if so is it worth getting the limiter moved? Speaking of which who can do a job like this - any recommendations?

When does your limiter kick in?

boombang

The limiter should be 7'100prm on 1.9 Mi, IIRC same on later 3 row ECU.

My 309 had re-profiled Piper 270 cams and the power was rising at 45 degrees when it hit the limiter! from what I can gather, even on standard manifold (with VW TB) 7'200 rpm is nothing, and if curve carried on it would have been around 190bhp at 8k RPM.

Dino

So maybe my rev counter is slightly out then.............

Any ideas where I can get the ECU limiter changed? I find myself running out of revs too quickly as the beast spins up through the revs pretty quickly!

Love Mi16s :ph34r:

Steve.C

dont forget the limiter on an Mi16 is progressive so will start cutting fuel before it shuts off completely

Miles

You can get the limiter changed at Superchips (Not cheap) and I would use it a 8k as you've got a good bottom end, The Rev counters all tend to show 6900rpm on the 205/309, One of my old 405's showed a mere 6500rpm (s*it I thought for a 16v), Not sure is Chipwizards can do anything?

KRISKARRERA

It's just the rev counter not being accurate. My 405 would show 7400 rpm and the same engine in the 309 would should 6900 rpm at the limiter.

Dream Weaver

From fitting the Emerald and the Omex shiftlight thing, it clearly shows my rev counter is out by about 400rpm.

Higgy

My 3-row Mi cuts in about 7k (in a 205).

I remember petert saying that 4x4's have higher rev limit, 7400rpm. So as I have a x4 engine/ECU then my rev counter must be out aswell?!?

It's probably more like the rev counter can't keep up with the Mi spinning up, as it's tad quicker than the old 1.9 8V :P

tom_m

sounds like its time to get a stack dash Dino :P

TEKNOPUG

Is the limiter governed by the revs showing on the actual dash display?

It could that the limiter is running up to 7.2k but you're only seeing 6.9k and thinking that you're missing out on extra power?

You know my recent experiences with 205's speedo's!

Higgy

The rev counter 'should' only be a display.

So the rev limit is governed by the ECU, which in turn is determined from sensor signals.

TEKNOPUG

So it sounds like your limiter is working fine Dino and it's the dispaly which is wrong, quelle surprise.....

Unless you have some weird ecu with a low limiter?

Try swapping the ecu with another Mi16 one

Dino
So it sounds like your limiter is working fine Dino and it's the dispaly which is wrong, quelle surprise.....

Unless you have some weird ecu with a low limiter?

Try swapping the ecu with another Mi16 one

I have tried several 2 row and 3 row ecus so yeah it seems that the display is out - no surprises there then!

Think Ill take Miles advice and get the limiter moved to 8k :P I emailed Wayne at chipwizards and he recommended I go for a full remap while we are at it but at £449+VAT I cant justify the cost seeing as to fit and map the TBs is around the same cost!!!! I just want a temp fix until I get them fitted. Waiting to find out from him if he is willing to just sort out the limiter.

pugboyracer
:P I was right for once!

MartinM

Having fitted Megajolt shift lights and limiter, it's

- amazing how much the rev counter is out at a steady rpm

- even more amazing how much the indicated rpm lags behind the actual rpm when blipping the throttle/accelerating briskly in the lower gears

cybernck

i'm sure mine is out by 500-ish rpm's.

at 6000 it feels more like 6500.

pug_ham
I emailed Wayne at chipwizards and he recommended I go for a full remap while we are at it but at £449+VAT
Damn his prices have gone up as expected, that mean the project'll take more funds. :)

Wayne set the limiter on my 8v @ 7000rpm when he mapped it but last time I hit it the clocks were showing nearer 6800rpm & the signal comes direct from the ecu.

I was going to post last night asking if the swap to TB's & OMEX soon then you might as well wait.

Graham.

TEKNOPUG
Damn his prices have gone up as expected, that mean the project'll take more funds. :)

Graham.

I've been toying with the idea of getting my car set-up on MP3.1 and having Wayne remap the chip, as a more cost effective method than full blown mappabel engine management. If he's charging £500 now then it's no longer an attractive proposition :huh:

C_W

The rev counter on mine shows about 7200rpm and idle shows 850rpm so doesn't seem to far out either but the calibration could still be out I suppose for intermediate revs.

Sign in to follow this