• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Quigs

Mi16 Engine Problem

Quigs

I think i have a slight electrical fault.

the engine cut's out when i'm driving along, i still have power to the starter but no power to the ignition side.

the engine cut's out all of a sudden and then it will come back to life, it doesn't matter if the engiine is under load or not.

i have checked all the connections and nothing seem's loose.

Any ideas what the problem could be??

if there is any connections i should check again feel free to say as i will check them again.

Many thanks

Ryan (Quigs)

jackherer

could be loads of things, the tachometric relay and the wire from the distributor are common causes and good places to start.

edit: I posted that cos it says GTI in your sig, and then I saw the title so disregard the above :)

tdc sensor is a possibility on an Mi....

Edited by jackherer

j_turnell

Possibly the coil breaking down or maybe ignition amp. Check your connection to your crank sensor aswell.

Jim miami blue gti

I had a very similar problem it turned out to be thee conection on the two relays that where normally behind the drivers headlamp, try giving these a clean up and change the relays. does the rev counter drop to 0 when this happens?

DrSeuss

Does it lurch/hesitate or is it literally just cutting out dead? I bet it pops something cracking when you get it started again!

Quigs
I had a very similar problem it turned out to be thee conection on the two relays that where normally behind the drivers headlamp, try giving these a clean up and change the relays. does the rev counter drop to 0 when this happens?

yes the rev counter does drop to 0 when this happens, i've giving the two relay a tap in case they were sticking but mine are in side the car under the dash, i'll try talking them a part and having a look at them.

Does it lurch/hesitate or is it literally just cutting out dead? I bet it pops something cracking when you get it started again!

it just literally cut's out dead and when it desides to start again it just strats normally.

any more ideas

Quigs

jackherer

if the rev counter drops its not going to be the relays.

my money is still on the tdc...

Quigs
if the rev counter drops its not going to be the relays.

my money is still on the tdc...

where would i find the tdc?

is it the crank sensor?

thanks ryan

j_turnell

Yeh it slots in a hole in the top of the box below the dizzy cap area and has a connector off it, check the condition of the wires and also the plug on both sensor and loom.

Edited by j_turnell

Green Machine

is it just the engine that dies or does the whole electrical system fail. check all the plugs are ok eg pins are seated correctly in the shrouds, deffo sounds like a wire problem rather than a component as usually components fail dead.

KRISKARRERA
Yeh it slots in a hole in the top of the box below the dizzy cap area and has a connector off it, check the condition of the wires and also the plug on both sensor and loom.
If it's Mi16 the ignition amp should beattached to that big silver plate that is right next to the battery in the 405.

I had something similar to this problem and discovered the main relay was dodgy.

j_turnell
If it's Mi16 the ignition amp should beattached to that big silver plate that is right next to the battery in the 405.

I had something similar to this problem and discovered the main relay was dodgy.

I was talking about the crank sensor.

Sign in to follow this