• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
SPGTi

Mobil 1 Oil

SPGTi

I have been offered Mobil 1 0-40W fully synthetic for £30 for 4 litres. Is this a good price ? Does anyone else use this ?

cheers

Steve

Jonmurgie

Regardless of price you do NOT want to put Mobil 1 into your engine... it's far too thin! Do a serach on 'oil' and read some threads where different oils have been discussed.

Rob Thomson

I'm not so sure, Jon, think that's a common misconception. Synthetic oil tends to be thinner than mineral oils when it's cold (which is good for protection during starting) but retains that viscosity at higher temperatures (which is handy for when you're thrashing it). Basically you get the best of both worlds, something that's impossible to achive with conventional oils. Trust me, I'm an engineer.

Or... read some of Oilman's (?) posts about oil choice, he explains it very well and you should trust him because he's an expert.

And Steve, I think there's a pinned thread about this in the technical forum on British Rally which the same guy has contributed to.

Anyway, I've always used synthetic oil and never had a problem. I recently stripped my Mi and it was mint. £30 for 4 litres is probably as good as you'll find, but isn't hugely cheaper than Halfords etc.

SPGTi
Regardless of price you do NOT want to put Mobil 1 into your engine... it's far too thin! Do a serach on 'oil' and read some threads where different oils have been discussed.

'oil' doesn't have enough letters for the search :) but 40W is the hot oil rating which is the same viscosity as most other oils that you would consider using. The 0 relates to cold viscosity only and the lower the more protection you should get at cold starts. (as Rob said anyway).

Just done a quick search on prices

Demon Tweeks £38

OIlman £44

so just have to see what Halfords are selling at.

cheers

Steve

C_W

In my Mi16 I've always used Castrol GTX Magnatec 10/40. I used to be able to get it really cheap but they not longer stock it so I get Mobil "Super" 10/40 for about the same price and would guess this is about the same stuff (both semi-synthetics).

For some reason the trade place I use stock most oils at ridiculous prices (ie Mobil 1 is £25.5+vat which is close to retail prices at some places), the Magnatec 10/40 is nearly £18+vat (up until November last year I was paying £10.50+vat!).

Edited by C_W

ellisg

One of the chains was doing oil and filter change using Mobil 1 fully synthetic for £35, thats 5 litres.

Mongo
I have been offered Mobil 1 0-40W fully synthetic for £30 for 4 litres. Is this a good price ? Does anyone else use this ?

cheers

Steve

Its expensive, Costco are doing that for around £18 for 4 litres.

They are also doing the "Mobil 1 Super S" Semi Synthetic 10-40w for £13 for 4 litres.

oilman
'oil' doesn't have enough letters for the search :) but 40W is the hot oil rating which is the same viscosity as most other oils that you would consider using. The 0 relates to cold viscosity only and the lower the more protection you should get at cold starts. (as Rob said anyway).

Just done a quick search on prices

Demon Tweeks £38

OIlman £44

so just have to see what Halfords are selling at.

cheers

Steve

Oilman is not £44.

You need to go to the members section that's where the club discounts are.

Cheers

Simon

Miles

Jon your using good oil!! Also the 76 Racing Fuels one is just as good, Cheap to at £25.00 ish off the top of me head, and is proven not to wear our Pug engine out (Well a couple of our 225 bhp 8v 205's)

SPGTi
Oilman is not £44.

You need to go to the members section that's where the club discounts are.

Cheers

Simon

That is the price I got off your website.

I saw you were doing a Xmas special but that has finished now, hasn't it ?

steve

Sign in to follow this