• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
GLPoomobile

Fitting Electric Windows

GLPoomobile

OK, I've just read a whole load of topics on this, so at least I made the effort to search for once :)

The 1.6 I'm probably buying has manual windows. It is an H reg and IIRC it had the normal rubber sleeve from door to body, rather than the later multiplug connection in the body for the wiring loom. So, I presume this means that there will be no loom present within the body to accept the door half of the electric window loom if I source one.

I will be using my 1.9 to donate the electrics, but I simply won't (or rather cannot be bothered and won;t have the time) strip the entire loom from the 1.9 as I have read that it is a complete ball ache since it is tangled up with the rest of the wiring behind the dash.

Would it be fairly easy (i.e. achievable for a simpleton with a soldering kit, crimping kit, and basic soldering skills) to just fit the door looms and then make up the rest of the loom from new cable? How many places would it need to be connected to? Where do you connect it to the fuse box? etc.

I would be taking the seats and carpet out (for a thorough cleaning) anyway, so not too bothered about running the wiring.

Ryan

You might find that the wiring is already in place. My H-reg 1.6 had all the under-dash wiring in place, and the loom threaded through to the drivers door. For some reason the passenger side door loom was missing though.

GLPoomobile

Does yours have the connection blocks on the A pillar though? I assumed that if you have the connection on the pillar then they tend to have the rest of the loom already wired into it, but if you have no connection block (loom just runs straight from the door, through the rubber boot and into the car) then Pug didn't include any wiring for leccy windows on models not equipped with them.

Is this right?

pug_ham

I haven't yet checked onmy car (even though I have a drivers electric window mech to fit) but on the couple I've seen that were H reg & had manual windows the wiring was there but its a matter of taking the door trim off to check for certain. Both these had rubber boots on the pillars.

IMO if the car has central locking it will have the looms for electric windows.

Graham.

buchanan84

when i fitted leccy windows to my E reg 1.6 it didnt have any wires in it

So I fitted the door looms and then I had to create a loom, it wasnt too hard, I just worked off the wiring diagram in the haynes manual (quite hard to get your head round)

just have a go at it

good luck

Ryan
Does yours have the connection blocks on the A pillar though? I assumed that if you have the connection on the pillar then they tend to have the rest of the loom already wired into it, but if you have no connection block (loom just runs straight from the door, through the rubber boot and into the car) then Pug didn't include any wiring for leccy windows on models not equipped with them.

Is this right?

I didn't look to be honest. I just pulled the drivers door card off and the connections where all there. The wires just go through the rubber sleeve along with the central locking and speaker wires. I never took the trip off in the footwell to se where they went. The relay was already in the fusebox too so I guess the factory installed all the wiring regardless of whether or not leccy windows were actually fitted or not.

DaveW

there should be spare connectors above the fuse box and ecu but you'il have to losen the dash to get to them....

this was on my old F reg gti.

Sign in to follow this