• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
easypug

Where Can I Get...

easypug

I recently brought an engine with own know spec and upon taking the rocker cover off noticed that head had been machined to allow the cams to rotate. I would like to know the spec of the cams but don't know how to measure it my self. Any idea's or would some one be able to get a rough idea if i showed a picture?

Thanks

Dave

j_turnell

Look for a serial number on the cams, mainly on the end, i know the head needs modification for the kent 290 degree cams....

easypug

Oh yeah, i forgot to mention. There normally on the dizzy end right? There's no stamp on there :wacko:.

boombang

its usually on pulley end in my experience!

christopher

You need a dial gauge, magnetic stand, and a timing wheel.

Will you give you all the measurements you require, lift overlap etc etc

pug_ham
Oh yeah, i forgot to mention. There normally on the dizzy end right? There's no stamp on there :wacko:.
I also want to know this (although I know two people to ask, one being mattsav) as the cam in an engine I recently bought has had the cam number ground off (dizzy end0 but I now know its a kent cam, just not which one. :)

Graham.

PumaRacing
You need a dial gauge, magnetic stand, and a timing wheel.

Will you give you all the measurements you require, lift overlap etc etc

It's somewhat more complex than that if a full lift curve of actual valve motion is to be measured. The dial gauge needs a flat base approx 40mm long made to fit the plunger very tightly and accurately so that's it's exactly perpendicular to it and doesn't rock. This simulates the surface of the lifter bucket which is an essential part of the cam geometry. A normal pointed end dial gauge mounted over the centre of the shaft will measure total lift accurately and give a very close approximation of 0.004" seat to seat duration but any further measurements at mid lift or the critical comparison duration at 1mm lift will be completely wrong compared to actual lift/duration as generated on a lifter bucket. A cam lobe sweeps across the lifter bucket from side to side during each rotation and the contact point is only directly under the centre of the shaft at full lift and zero lift.

jonD6B

Hi all. Without measuring the cam profiles yourself you'll never know 100%. However, as a guide, if the cam is definately a Kent you can try to deduce which cam it is. If the car is running the standard injection system it is probably the (PT36) which has a duration of 270 deg. and 11.63/11.58 lift. If the car is running carbs it could be either the (PT27) 'Rally' cam with 304/296 dur. and 12.24/11.93 lift or the (PT28) 'Race' cam with 309/314 dur. and 12.16/12.29 lift. Thats about as helpful as I can get I'm affraid. Good luck, Jon. :)

easypug
Hi all. Without measuring the cam profiles yourself you'll never know 100%. However, as a guide, if the cam is definately a Kent you can try to deduce which cam it is. If the car is running the standard injection system it is probably the (PT36) which has a duration of 270 deg. and 11.63/11.58 lift. If the car is running carbs it could be either the (PT27) 'Rally' cam with 304/296 dur. and 12.24/11.93 lift or the (PT28) 'Race' cam with 309/314 dur. and 12.16/12.29 lift. Thats about as helpful as I can get I'm affraid. Good luck, Jon. :)

Well that would put it in the later group then as it was running direct to head bodies :P

I'm not going to start striping the engine untill i've got the parts i need to put it together, was just hoping for a little insight as of what to expect.

Thanks for the replies

Dave

Dom9
as it was running direct to head bodies

D2H bodies or normal bodies? Sounds interesting? I remember those D2H bodies someone had on ebay a while ago, would be cool if you have some to see them fitted up!

easypug

Direct to head, i've not got them any more though. Going for normal jenveys. Someone on here has brought them though and will be making some copies, i would think they'll be available reasonably soon.

Take a look on here for some pictures of the bodies. They were made by solex ??? or at least thats the name thats stamped on them. I never knew they made bodies! :o

Dom9

Yep, same as the ones on eBay, I'm pretty sure they were Solex - very cool! Nice clean solution and gives you plenty of room to mess about with trumpet lengths, well, shorter ones at least!

DrSeuss

Someone said they were for a 309gti16 racing series, grp a. spec. Those cams listed are all 8v cams afaik?

Sign in to follow this