• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jonmurgie

Those With Throttle Bodies On An Mi16

easypug
Dave - caught fire? Nice! Tell him to sort it out, probably mincing his engine slowly but surely....

Yep, fuel rail wasn't put together properly he says. Made quite a mess of all the NOS lines and part of the loom. Luckily it was when he was parking up at work so able to get it out asap to avoid major damage.

Jonmurgie

Tried to relocate the oil filler today but where I was going to put it, using the inlet manifold bracket, it will get in the way of ducting :P Going to have to re-think that one tomorrow... arse

RHULPUG

IMGP1312s.jpg

So what are the drawbacks of running trumpets this short? Plus, what's up with the NOS setup?

Jonmurgie

I recently asked that question to Richard Jenvey (Jenvey Dynamics) and he said that on the Mi16/GTi6 engines it moves the torque band up to over 8000rpm and on most cars that would be useless... the inlet tract is measured to give the optimum power/torque for most engine uses.

I'd personally like to do a back to back test of say 90mm vs. 45mm trumpets, and hope to do this sometime...

RHULPUG

well, sounds like you got that advice from a good source lol! So what are the measurements of the above throttle bodies approx?

petert

It's got more to do with the TOTAL inlet tract length, rather than the length of the trumpets. You need a length of approx. 320-330mm from the inlet valve to the end of the trumpet, for a typical warm Mi16.

Edited by petert

engine killer

sorry for asking, will that matters about the ratio between "end of trumpet to injector" and "injector to valve"?

i am running a shorter throttle bodies than you guys, will longer trumpets (over 90mm) are needed? engine spec is not really the same (over bored liners & oversized pistons to make it 2l), will these factors alter the total inlet tract length too?

thanks.

jochem

There is a formula for getting the optimal lenght of runners on the inlet. It has to do with minimizing the effects of air bouncing on a shut valve if i remember correctly.

Will try and get the formula somewhere.

Robsbc
sorry for asking, will that matters about the ratio between "end of trumpet to injector" and "injector to valve"?

i am running a shorter throttle bodies than you guys, will longer trumpets (over 90mm) are needed? engine spec is not really the same (over bored liners & oversized pistons to make it 2l), will these factors alter the total inlet tract length too?

thanks.

Like I said in another thread my spec of Warm Mi16 suited 40mm trumpets according to Dave Walker when I compared them to 75mm ones...The car made 212BHP around 7100rpm and 162lbft around 5800rpm. Not too shaby that torque figure.

A bog standard Mi16 with bodies and 90mm trumpets made the following figures on the same rollers (Emerald):-

176bhp @ 6700rpm

141lbft @ 5400rpm

I'm back @ Emerald on the 20th with Revla who's putting his S16 with bodies plus Catcams for a mapping session. He will be trying 75mm and 40mm trumpets...

Jonmurgie
I'm back @ Emerald on the 20th with Revla who's putting his S16 with bodies plus Catcams for a mapping session. He will be trying 75mm and 40mm trumpets...

Looking forward to seeing those results :blush:

Bonzai

how much are catch tanks?

and for the referance, my TB setup will be about 345mm long from head to tip of trumpet unless i get different length trumpets. wont be running for afew months yet though :blush:

Sign in to follow this